Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Hanging around the thread and remembered to reply. The metal being a broad church thing is interesting because I have just concocted a theory (stay with me, I'm bored). The 10% of metal that people such as me and Staly like may well be a different ACTUAL set of tunes for each of us. Mine? Let's start at Paradise City by GnR and stop for a quick headbang to Ace of Spades. One of the tracks on your CD was Du Hast by Rammstien which I absolutely love. My ex brother-in-law (in general a weasel) was minted and had a surround sound home cinema style thingy. The only time I liked him was when he got some beers out of the fridge and put a live Rammstien DVD on at top volume. And there there's the below (yes I know it's a cover and I prefer it). My guess is that at least half of these nods to metal are not in the 10% Staly likes. Could be wrong of course but an interesting theory for a cold Tuesday night.

Never that keen on GnR, but certainly up for a bit of Motorhead. I'm partial to a bit of AC/DC as well, and the first 3 or 4 Sabbath albums.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
There's also a subgenre of metal you don't mind doing as karaoke when you've had a few drinks. However, we're now in swamp country between irony and subconscious liking. Well, whatever - you'll find Livin On A Prayer and its cousins grazing here.

Here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time

:whistle:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks [MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] for the cd really enjoyed it as i said in my review.

Count me in to go again at Easter.

Flex Your Head

But my absolute favourites were Sacrilege, who were a metal / hardcore crossover sort of thing:

I remember them; C.O.R Records, same labels as The Stupids and other, more metal-minded bands. I remember being gutted that I had to work one Saturday back in the mid-80's when there was a gig featuring Sacrilege, Doom, Concrete Sox, and loads more of that ilk playing in London.
I could never really get in to the metal side of the 'crossover' though, always preferred the hardcore / thrash elements. For the 4mins 51secs of that Sacrilege track, you could have listened to these beauts from bands who all ended up with way too many pained guitar solo and (possibly) Flying Vs.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Rather than send me a CD a better idea would be to turn it into a podcast then post it on the mix cloud page so everyone can have a listen. If you, or anybody else wishes to do this then I'll PM you the password for the page.

I'm going to do this and pop it on my mixcloud page next time.

If anyone wants to tear mine to shreds, I think I've still got the playlists set up so it should be as simple as just burning one off. Let me know.

m20gull has gone completely out of hius way, replacing some of the tracks he was less pleased withb on the initial run and sending it to me again! Above and beyond the call of duty!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Never that keen on GnR, but certainly up for a bit of Motorhead. I'm partial to a bit of AC/DC as well, and the first 3 or 4 Sabbath albums.

I'll be in for another round at Easter. The first metal album I ever bought was Mob Rules by Black Sabbath. That raw metallic guitar sound on Country Girl sent a shiver down my 12 year old spine. And that Sabbath album with the picture of an old mill house and a cloaked woman in the foreground was very creepy. Anything with an upside down cross on it I also found disturbing in my early teens - for that reason, I was too scared to buy Diary of a Madman. Thank goodness for Def Leppard - their lightweight sexist nonsense was a great relief from all that darkness. There's a short academic paper to be written here: The cloaked lady at the house: portent and gender portrayal impacts on the teenage psyche, British metal 1971-1983.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I remember them; C.O.R Records, same labels as The Stupids and other, more metal-minded bands. I remember being gutted that I had to work one Saturday back in the mid-80's when there was a gig featuring Sacrilege, Doom, Concrete Sox, and loads more of that ilk playing in London.
I could never really get in to the metal side of the 'crossover' though, always preferred the hardcore / thrash elements. For the 4mins 51secs of that Sacrilege track, you could have listened to these beauts from bands who all ended up with way too many pained guitar solo and (possibly) Flying Vs.

Yeah, I quite like that stuff. Sacrilege were cool though, and they used to sing about Nazgul and stuff, which is what metal should be about.

One of Shropshire's few musical claims to fame is to be a hotbed of the grindcore movement. Intense Degree went to my school you know...

Flex Your Head

And that Sabbath album with the picture of an old mill house and a cloaked woman in the foreground was very creepy.

Yeah, that spooked me out too. And the Sabbath Greatest Hits comp with the Bruegel's 'Triumph of Death' artwork *shudder*

Intense Degree went to my school you know...

I've got their 'War in my Head' LP but I genuinely cannot remember a single thing about it other than there was a picture of their female bass player wearing stripy tights on the back.

I once encountered Shane Embury buying loads of Sarah 7"s in Langland Records in Wellington.

I've always been a bit fascinated by the 'indiepop / hardcore' crossover. It does seem like there are a lot of people who are really in to both sounds. So many times you see members of 'sweet little' indie bands who play perfect pop adorned in Heresy or Minor Threat T-shirts.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I've got their 'War in my Head' LP but I genuinely cannot remember a single thing about it other than there was a picture of their female bass player wearing stripy tights on the back.

I've always been a bit fascinated by the 'indiepop / hardcore' crossover. It does seem like there are a lot of people who are really in to both sounds. So many times you see members of 'sweet little' indie bands who play perfect pop adorned in Heresy or Minor Threat T-shirts.

Unfortunately my tired geriatric brain cells have let me down, and I should have said "Unseen Terror went to my school you know...". I always get those two mixed up- same number of syllables I guess.

Napalm Death were huge Darling Buds fans by all accounts.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
http://www.mixcloud.com/NorthStandChatMusic/best-of-north-stand-chat-secret-santa-2014/
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION]
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION]
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]

Best of mix is now up and can be accessed through the link above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here