Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Weekly update time

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] (Gordon Bennett)
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] (m20gull)
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] (CorgiRegisteredFriend)
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] (Staly)
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] (Flex Your Head)
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] (Razoo)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION] *

* I've had confirmation that the CD is in the post.
** CD delayed until after New Year due to unforeseen circumstances.

Yet to hear from one person.

I'll be revealing all at the end of January.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Right review time!!!! I've been very slack but a lack of Internet connection till Wednesday has forced my hand. However I'll try my best on 3G!!! Fantastic CD cover (see below), very evocative of a better day for us!!!

Booo! - DJ Sticky feat Ms Dynamite
Proper old school two step garage, cracking opening to a mix, very well received from this thirty something!!!

Best of Friends - Palma Violets
A band I had only vaguely heard of, but apparently the song was NME's song of 2012. I liked it, and I remember hearing it but not being able to place it at the time.

The Last Time - The Rolling Stones
Having just read a biography of the Stones before Xmas, it was nice to see them on here, and again a solid selection. Not my favourite Stones track, but certainly not their worst!

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Very pleased to see this on here - grew up on them, Rumours was a permanent fixture on my folks hi fi growing up, so singing along to this having not really listened in a few years was a welcome surprise

Low - Young Fathers
Have to be honest,- another new track for me. Not a hideous listen, but definitely something that would be more of a grower of a few listens. Reminds me of another track, that I can't quite place, with the voice....

Don't Lie - The Mantles
For me the first bum note of the CD - found it a bit wishy washy and the recording sounded a little bit like it was recorded in a pub. Reminded me of early Libertines, but with someone mumbling over it.... Sorry!!!!

Water Fountain - tUnE-yArDs
Now I have heard this, with it having been featured on FIFA 15!!!! Not sure if that is the reason behind its inclusion (and maybe a bit of a hint as to the person involved), but I like it!!!! Think Stomp crossed with Caribbean dancehall.... Odd but appealing!!!

Everything is Embarrasing - Sky Ferreira
Another one that left me a bit cold, a bit of 80s esque synth over a dance beat with a genericish female voice. Not for me I'm afraid :(

She's not me - Jenny Lewis
Not what I'd consider to be my type of tune, but I like it, and a big varience on what has previously been on the CD. Solo female with a bit of an early 2000s feel.

Lovesick - Peace
Reminded me a bit of Girl from Mars by Ash but can't think why. Same sort of pace maybe, listenable!!!!!

The Wire - Haim
Now I've heard of Haim, but not really sure of what they had done. Sounds like a rockier version of Girls Aloud. Quite liked that, so take that as a compliment!!!

Seasons (waiting on you) - Future Islands
Another unknown for me.... But also sounds familiar? Maybe used in an advert or on a previous FIFA again perhaps. Definitely recognise it. Another synthy electronica tune. Not my cup of tea personally however, but all part of the fun!!!

Simple Song - The Shins
Thought it was U2 to begin with, definitely has a bit of them in it somewhere in its heritage no doubt!!! A song that I would probably take from here as homework to get into The Shins a bit more.

Younger Us - Japandroids
Fast guitars and a beat that probably lends itself to having turned up full blast in the car!!!! Again never heard of them before but very fun track

Emmylou - First Aid Kit
Reminded me of a song by KT Tunstall. Very very different to the last track, quite country and western but more modern. Like it a lot!!

Holiday - Vampire Weekend
Having seen Vampire Weekend a couple of years ago, i realised a lot of their songs sound the same. Quite ska like, but I think I'm a bit old to be 'in' to them. Not to say I didn't enjoy it mind!!!

Another Girl Another Planet - The Only Ones
The last song is another that has a familiar theme on this CD - something I vaguely know but can't put my finger on where from. The guitar riff and the singing don't seem to match, with guitars nicked straight from Meatloaf, with the lyrics a lot more modern.

Overall a really fun, different CD, very very eclectic, I'd have to say my favourite track in here was probably Best of Friends, in that it's not my sort of thing but enjoyed hearing it!!! I think the person who made it is probably - possibly - younger than me (I'm 32). Im gonna go with [MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION], but I could be totally wrong as its a complete guess!!!! Whoever made it though - top work fella, I will enjoy this for a long time to come!!!!

View attachment 61956

Flex Your Head

Part 2 of the review.

Shadow Play – Rory Gallagher; really like this with its pub-rock, proto-punk vibe. Sounds like a beefed up Sultans of Swing crossed with an Only Ones b-side. Rockin’ stuff.

Tush – ZZ Top; mercifully short 12 bar blues-y rock. Sounds vaguely familiar but I’m sure this was from before they were a big name in the UK. If you like ZZ Top chances are you’ll like this. Not for me though.

I Can Only Give You Everything – MC5; great early punk rock from Detroit’s radical MC5. I think this came before any of the three albums was released and it’s got a lovely raw, garage feel to it. Splendid stuff.

Blue Collar Jane – The Strypes; contemporary whippersnappers kicking up a small storm with their authentic blues-y rock sound. Not particularly my cup of tea, but they’re certainly very proficient at what they do (and I bet they pull awesome pained faces as they wrangle those solos from them gee-tars!)

Some Kind of Hero - Wilko Johnson; well, it certainly doesn’t sound like Wilko singing, so this must be from the recent LP with Roger Daltrey. It’s OK, but would’ve loved some Dr Feelgood or Solid Senders instead. Definitely a proto-punk, garage, pub-rock, R&B connection throughout part two though...

The Crest – The Men They Couldn’t Hang; I’ve got a couple of 12” singles by this lot; Green Fields of France and Ironmasters, but I don’t know this track. Decent up-tempo, folk-punk with an anti-war message. As good as they were, they always seemed to play second fiddle (ha!) to The Pogues.

Moonchild – Fields of the Nephilim; quick! Hide the talc and flour! I quite liked a lot of early goth stuff, particularly Bauhaus who I saw loads of times, and the Batcave stuff which didn’t take itself too seriously, but this lot always left me cold. They always seemed to be the Sisters of Mercy’s humourless poor relations.

Gotta Get Some – The Fuzztones; great garage rock with the legendary Rudi Protrudi. I really like this, and at times when the keyboard kicks in, it almost sounds like it could’ve come from late 70’s Brighton. Nifty stuff.

20th Century Boy – T.Rex; Surely no introduction needed? Classic glam rock, inimitable and unrepeatable. A big influence on what followed a year or two later with the emergence of the UK punk scene.

Stay Down – Black Spiders; modern day metal / heavy rock with a decent chorus and some swearing thrown in for good measure. A big, ballsy production and a very tight sound. My boss tipped these for great things after he saw them with Ozzy Osbourne a few years back, but this is the first time I’ve heard them. I bet Kerrang! loves ‘em!

So, there you go. Very much a rock compilation and one I enjoyed more than I thought I would when I first saw the tracklisting. I reckon I’ll keep half of the tracks on my iPod, and the CD will go to my boss who will be in his absolute element! Many thanks to my Santa who I’m guessing at being [MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]

As for my favourite track; I Can Only Give You Everything – MC5, or the Love one, natch.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sorry - I'm being slow with my review: intended to do it on the train, but my portable CD player insists that the disc is unreadable, which I don't think is really the case, so I need to transfer the music to some other device instead. Bear with me, but busy at work at the moment, so not much time for mucking around with stuff in the evenings.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Part 2 of the review.

Shadow Play – Rory Gallagher; really like this with its pub-rock, proto-punk vibe. Sounds like a beefed up Sultans of Swing crossed with an Only Ones b-side. Rockin’ stuff.

Tush – ZZ Top; mercifully short 12 bar blues-y rock. Sounds vaguely familiar but I’m sure this was from before they were a big name in the UK. If you like ZZ Top chances are you’ll like this. Not for me though.

I Can Only Give You Everything – MC5; great early punk rock from Detroit’s radical MC5. I think this came before any of the three albums was released and it’s got a lovely raw, garage feel to it. Splendid stuff.

Blue Collar Jane – The Strypes; contemporary whippersnappers kicking up a small storm with their authentic blues-y rock sound. Not particularly my cup of tea, but they’re certainly very proficient at what they do (and I bet they pull awesome pained faces as they wrangle those solos from them gee-tars!)

Some Kind of Hero - Wilko Johnson; well, it certainly doesn’t sound like Wilko singing, so this must be from the recent LP with Roger Daltrey. It’s OK, but would’ve loved some Dr Feelgood or Solid Senders instead. Definitely a proto-punk, garage, pub-rock, R&B connection throughout part two though...

The Crest – The Men They Couldn’t Hang; I’ve got a couple of 12” singles by this lot; Green Fields of France and Ironmasters, but I don’t know this track. Decent up-tempo, folk-punk with an anti-war message. As good as they were, they always seemed to play second fiddle (ha!) to The Pogues.

Moonchild – Fields of the Nephilim; quick! Hide the talc and flour! I quite liked a lot of early goth stuff, particularly Bauhaus who I saw loads of times, and the Batcave stuff which didn’t take itself too seriously, but this lot always left me cold. They always seemed to be the Sisters of Mercy’s humourless poor relations.

Gotta Get Some – The Fuzztones; great garage rock with the legendary Rudi Protrudi. I really like this, and at times when the keyboard kicks in, it almost sounds like it could’ve come from late 70’s Brighton. Nifty stuff.

20th Century Boy – T.Rex; Surely no introduction needed? Classic glam rock, inimitable and unrepeatable. A big influence on what followed a year or two later with the emergence of the UK punk scene.

Stay Down – Black Spiders; modern day metal / heavy rock with a decent chorus and some swearing thrown in for good measure. A big, ballsy production and a very tight sound. My boss tipped these for great things after he saw them with Ozzy Osbourne a few years back, but this is the first time I’ve heard them. I bet Kerrang! loves ‘em!

So, there you go. Very much a rock compilation and one I enjoyed more than I thought I would when I first saw the tracklisting. I reckon I’ll keep half of the tracks on my iPod, and the CD will go to my boss who will be in his absolute element! Many thanks to my Santa who I’m guessing at being [MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]

As for my favourite track; I Can Only Give You Everything – MC5, or the Love one, natch.

Not me but I'd have been proud to put that little lot together so good guess but no cigar.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
More review
13) Slum of Legs - Razorblade The Tape. A tuneful song with interesting lyrics, it makes good use of violin and quenching synths, good stuff.
14) The Ethical Debating Society - Future Imperfect. Another song with male/female vocals. Another winner reminded me a bit of Deerhoof musically. A great shouty chorus.
15) The Spook School - History. This band have a way with a tune too, good upbeat pop with good vocals, sung in Scottish accents too. I do like singers who keep their accents.
16) Chrome - Something In The Cloud. I have heard a bit of Chrome before and I love this. Strongly messed up and futuristic. Probably from the late 70s! Love the outro too.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
17) The Cleaners from Venus - The Jangling Man. I could be wrong but I think this is an early 80s band, I did enjoy it a lot and the lyrics are thoughtful and interesting, I like it.
18) David Kilgour - Lose myself in Sound. Again this is right up my street, a bit fuzzy,poppy and I love his voice. I believe he was in The Clean, I have an album of theirs I must dig out soon. Another good one.
19) Half Japanese - Shining Star. I do need to check more of this lot out, I recognise Jad Fair's distinct vocals. For some reason I thought this band were a bit more shambolic than this. A big fan of the backwards guitars.
20) Mungo's Hi-Fi - Can't Stand It. A welcome blast of reggae, I really love her vocals. A very welcome inclusion.
21) The Bevis Frond - Too Kind. I always thought (wrongly) that this lot would be a bit like the Ozric Tentacles, but no, I will check out more of these fellas. A really good end to my CD. I really like this tune too, good vocals and lyrics and some splendid firework.
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] I salute you. You've done me a great CD and opened up some fresh musical avenues to wander down.
As for favourite track, I am a bit spoilt but will choose. Small Reactions - Shark Week

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION]. Glad you enjoyed it. I was worried it was a bit samey...

The Small Reactions lp is just out- it's a keeper http://smallreactions.bandcamp.com/

The Chrome track's actually from their new album from last year. They haven't changed the formula much from the 70s though, I'll give you that. Same with Half Japanese, also a track from their new album. Yes they used to be a lot more shambolic- I guess if you play in a band for 30 years you can't help but get a bit competent.

Cleaners from Venus are a British institution - I put this on because I gleaned that you liked Robyn Hitchcock, and the Cleaners are in the same sort of vein in my book. This song's from 1990, but very apposite now I feel.

Vocalist on the Mungo's track is Warrior Queen - she's done vocals on a lot of good stuff- worth Youtubing.

Anyhow, thanks for the review- just one you didn't like much so a pretty good strike rate.

Still haven't received a CD myself :tantrum:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
17) The Cleaners from Venus - The Jangling Man. I could be wrong but I think this is an early 80s band, I did enjoy it a lot and the lyrics are thoughtful and interesting, I like it.
18) David Kilgour - Lose myself in Sound. Again this is right up my street, a bit fuzzy,poppy and I love his voice. I believe he was in The Clean, I have an album of theirs I must dig out soon. Another good one.
19) Half Japanese - Shining Star. I do need to check more of this lot out, I recognise Jad Fair's distinct vocals. For some reason I thought this band were a bit more shambolic than this. A big fan of the backwards guitars.
20) Mungo's Hi-Fi - Can't Stand It. A welcome blast of reggae, I really love her vocals. A very welcome inclusion.
21) The Bevis Frond - Too Kind. I always thought (wrongly) that this lot would be a bit like the Ozric Tentacles, but no, I will check out more of these fellas. A really good end to my CD. I really like this tune too, good vocals and lyrics and some splendid firework.
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] I salute you. You've done me a great CD and opened up some fresh musical avenues to wander down.
As for favourite track, I am a bit spoilt but will choose. Small Reactions - Shark Week

Vocalist on the Mungo's track is Warrior Queen - she's done vocals on a lot of good stuff- worth Youtubing.

I was pretty sure I was going to get to the end of the review not having heard of a single band till we got to that one. Lovely album. Bike Rider used to appear occasionally on the otherwise Indie Only 6 Music drive time show.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Here we are:

There is no cover as such - sender just wanted to get the thing sent, I think, and why not?

Breezeblocks – Alt-J
His nasal voice is loathed with no little intensity by my children, but this is a solid opener. Don’t think I could take too much of this band, but this is certainly no chore – likeable.

Lonely Road – Everlast
Can’t live with this bloke’s voice – raspy, deep, rich, I’ve-lived-a-life-and-have-stories-to-tell kind of voice; should audition if they ever do a male vocal take of the Bodyform ad. Too earthy.

The People – The Music
Kind of like Led Zeppelin for Verve fans. Quite insistent and throbbing. I imagine this may be a song to listen to when driving late at night in unlit areas. I thought it was useless on first listen; now upgraded to okay.

History Song – The Good, The Bad And The Queen
OKish, doesn’t really do much. I quite like the slightly dubby bassline and the chaotic keyboard work. Quite busy and backstreetish.

The Train Is Coming – Ken Boothe
Rocksteady stuff. A classic. Lovely rhythm, understatement and sax solo.

The Sweet Escape – Kasabian
If your idea of fun is listening to Kasabian saying that they’ve been a “real bad boy”, whooping it up, and offering an indulgent, charmless post-pub karaoke knees-up, complete with heartfelt East 17 rap, then it’s your lucky day.

Stumble And Fall – Razorlight
Hey – I know this song. It sounds like Sophia by Good Shoes. Is he shouting about getting “over the blue rakes”? What does it mean? Fairly inoffensive stuff, nicely choppy guitar, has a tune.

The Lodgers – Style Council
Picture yourself in a white jacket in the 80s, t-shirt underneath. You’re in a provincial nightclub with very dim lighting. The bouncers are not friendly, although they like the ladies. You’ve got a raffle ticket to reclaim your coat when the lights go back on. Meanwhile, in a little booth, the DJ, who’s just wishing someone a very happy birthday in a mid-Atlantic voice, is pondering what to play after Mel and Kim. Back home, Ken Masters, from Howard’s Way, is enjoying this track, although he wouldn’t approve of the lyrics. Insubstantial, just about OK.

Pain Killer – Turin Brakes
Acoustic, hard-strumming, almost euphoric, rocking some acoustic tent at some festival. Scratchy guitar solo reminds me a little of Bergerac. I can imagine people enjoying this track and singing along, but a little bit straight-laced for me.

Cool Kid – Southern
I like the guitars in the chorus, the rest not so much – too crafted, polished, tasteful and tuneful, ie a bit AOR. Better if sung through Norman Collier’s microphone and with ear-bleeding guitars.

Battles – Hudson Taylor
A call to arms for cynics – I’m with you sir! They sound serious and are coming in to attack. Piano-led melodrama rollicks along in a jolly sea shanty kind of way, can imagine a video shot on a boat, with the band playing dispirited pirates.

Inbetween – Turin Brakes
The sound of an FM radio station, Zach Braff’s Sunday morning or Starbucks? Carefully distorted guitar belts out crunchy blues chords, with good time vocals. Nothing wrong with it, blows over gently like a summer breeze.

Even The Stars – I Am Kloot
This is a nice one. Like a Mancunian East River Pipe, and about as good. Jangles in a melancholic and wispy fashion, forlorn vocals binding the instrumentation into a haunting whole. Very good indeed.

Lazy Gun – Jet
Does not start in a promising way – sleazy rock guitars crunch out a Green Day song, but then the band comes to a sudden realisation that songs need not be predictable, stop the track, take an unexpected and anthemic, yet downbeat, left turn, then carry on with the Green Day thing. Quite like the juxtaposition, although a bit soft rocky overall.

Surfing With The Alien – Joe Satriani
Sounds like the music for an arcade game from the 1980s, possibly a snow-boarding thrill-rider called “Airdog” or something similar, with dated graphics and strange blobby spectators at the sides of the pistes. Wailing guitars, crazy arpeggios and tube screamin’ madness. One for retro gaming addicts to recall hi-scores in the Crystal Rooms.

Artibella – Ken Boothe
From the ridiculous to the sublime. Ken’s famously tremulous croon guides us through this short, but mildly skanking number. Tasty.

Fever To The Form – Nick Mulvey
Well, you can’t deny it’s easy on the ear – pleasant tune, mildly affecting, like Coldplay crossed with Adem. Quite nice, would work well during a middlebrow ITV production as two lovers try to find each other through a crowd in slow motion. Potentially a big audience for this kind of tuneful whimsy.

Violet Hill – Pendulum
Lite Metal riffage, vocals buried fairly deep in the mix, trundles along, subtle hints of electronica/rave burble away in the undercarriage. Can imagine 14-24 year olds holding up lighters to this one at a Radio 1 Big Day Out. Good luck to them. Not my type of thing. Earnest.

First Class – Rainbow Kitten Surprise
This bunch sound quite angry, in a southern country rock kind of way. They have issues. A pleasant acoustic strum, quite like the odd burst of vocal harmony, quite rough-hewn, like a session track.

Silence Is Easy – Starsailor
Landfill indie – perfectly pleasant, tuneful, but no rough edges to catch your attention. Too easy. I can understand the attraction, but not my thing.

Right, it only remains for me to thank my Santa for the CD - I shall be adding some of those tracks to my iTunes for future plays. Thanks for compiling it. The sender likes a tune, he likes a melody, he likes a bit of feeling, a heartfelt sentiment, a little bit laddy, a little bit daddy, he is..........[mention=568]Somerset![/mention]

Oh, and I'll have The Train Is Coming for the "Best of" compilation......

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Weekly update time

Received, reviewed (Correctly guessed sender)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (Theatre of Trees)
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (deletebeepbeepbeep)
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] (Hans Kraay Fan Club)
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] (Guinness Boy)
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] (Gordon Bennett)
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] (m20gull)
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] (CorgiRegisteredFriend)
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] (Staly)
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] (Flex Your Head)
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] (Razoo)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] **
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] *(Posted last week)
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION] *

* I've had confirmation that the CD is in the post.
** CD delayed until after New Year due to unforeseen circumstances.

Yet to hear from one person.

I'll be revealing all next Tuesday.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Best of Secret Santa compilation update

http://www.mixcloud.com/NorthStandChatMusic/

[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - Postmarks - No one said it would be easy
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] Real Estate - Hard to hear/James Yorkston - Red fox
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] June Brides - Sunday to Saturday
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] Terry Callier - Fix the blame/Jeff Mills - The bells
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] Soulsavers - Longest day
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] Ruth Copeland - Gimme shelter
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] Victor Malloy - Boys don't cry
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] Frank Zappa - Valley girl
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] - ?
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION] - Kathryn Roberts/Sean Lakeman - Ballad of Andy Jacobs
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] - Arvo Part - Spiegel im spiegel
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] - Desmond Dekker - 007
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] - Small Reactions - Shark week
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] - Palma Violets - Best of friends
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] - Love - Alone again or
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] - Nizlopi - Freedom
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] - Ken Boothe - The train is coming

yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm going to take a pop at [MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION] being the person who did my CD.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Here we are:

There is no cover as such - sender just wanted to get the thing sent, I think, and why not?

Breezeblocks – Alt-J
His nasal voice is loathed with no little intensity by my children, but this is a solid opener. Don’t think I could take too much of this band, but this is certainly no chore – likeable.

Lonely Road – Everlast
Can’t live with this bloke’s voice – raspy, deep, rich, I’ve-lived-a-life-and-have-stories-to-tell kind of voice; should audition if they ever do a male vocal take of the Bodyform ad. Too earthy.

The People – The Music
Kind of like Led Zeppelin for Verve fans. Quite insistent and throbbing. I imagine this may be a song to listen to when driving late at night in unlit areas. I thought it was useless on first listen; now upgraded to okay.

History Song – The Good, The Bad And The Queen
OKish, doesn’t really do much. I quite like the slightly dubby bassline and the chaotic keyboard work. Quite busy and backstreetish.

The Train Is Coming – Ken Boothe
Rocksteady stuff. A classic. Lovely rhythm, understatement and sax solo.

The Sweet Escape – Kasabian
If your idea of fun is listening to Kasabian saying that they’ve been a “real bad boy”, whooping it up, and offering an indulgent, charmless post-pub karaoke knees-up, complete with heartfelt East 17 rap, then it’s your lucky day.

Stumble And Fall – Razorlight
Hey – I know this song. It sounds like Sophia by Good Shoes. Is he shouting about getting “over the blue rakes”? What does it mean? Fairly inoffensive stuff, nicely choppy guitar, has a tune.

The Lodgers – Style Council
Picture yourself in a white jacket in the 80s, t-shirt underneath. You’re in a provincial nightclub with very dim lighting. The bouncers are not friendly, although they like the ladies. You’ve got a raffle ticket to reclaim your coat when the lights go back on. Meanwhile, in a little booth, the DJ, who’s just wishing someone a very happy birthday in a mid-Atlantic voice, is pondering what to play after Mel and Kim. Back home, Ken Masters, from Howard’s Way, is enjoying this track, although he wouldn’t approve of the lyrics. Insubstantial, just about OK.

Pain Killer – Turin Brakes
Acoustic, hard-strumming, almost euphoric, rocking some acoustic tent at some festival. Scratchy guitar solo reminds me a little of Bergerac. I can imagine people enjoying this track and singing along, but a little bit straight-laced for me.

Cool Kid – Southern
I like the guitars in the chorus, the rest not so much – too crafted, polished, tasteful and tuneful, ie a bit AOR. Better if sung through Norman Collier’s microphone and with ear-bleeding guitars.

Battles – Hudson Taylor
A call to arms for cynics – I’m with you sir! They sound serious and are coming in to attack. Piano-led melodrama rollicks along in a jolly sea shanty kind of way, can imagine a video shot on a boat, with the band playing dispirited pirates.

Inbetween – Turin Brakes
The sound of an FM radio station, Zach Braff’s Sunday morning or Starbucks? Carefully distorted guitar belts out crunchy blues chords, with good time vocals. Nothing wrong with it, blows over gently like a summer breeze.

Even The Stars – I Am Kloot
This is a nice one. Like a Mancunian East River Pipe, and about as good. Jangles in a melancholic and wispy fashion, forlorn vocals binding the instrumentation into a haunting whole. Very good indeed.

Lazy Gun – Jet
Does not start in a promising way – sleazy rock guitars crunch out a Green Day song, but then the band comes to a sudden realisation that songs need not be predictable, stop the track, take an unexpected and anthemic, yet downbeat, left turn, then carry on with the Green Day thing. Quite like the juxtaposition, although a bit soft rocky overall.

Surfing With The Alien – Joe Satriani
Sounds like the music for an arcade game from the 1980s, possibly a snow-boarding thrill-rider called “Airdog” or something similar, with dated graphics and strange blobby spectators at the sides of the pistes. Wailing guitars, crazy arpeggios and tube screamin’ madness. One for retro gaming addicts to recall hi-scores in the Crystal Rooms.

Artibella – Ken Boothe
From the ridiculous to the sublime. Ken’s famously tremulous croon guides us through this short, but mildly skanking number. Tasty.

Fever To The Form – Nick Mulvey
Well, you can’t deny it’s easy on the ear – pleasant tune, mildly affecting, like Coldplay crossed with Adem. Quite nice, would work well during a middlebrow ITV production as two lovers try to find each other through a crowd in slow motion. Potentially a big audience for this kind of tuneful whimsy.

Violet Hill – Pendulum
Lite Metal riffage, vocals buried fairly deep in the mix, trundles along, subtle hints of electronica/rave burble away in the undercarriage. Can imagine 14-24 year olds holding up lighters to this one at a Radio 1 Big Day Out. Good luck to them. Not my type of thing. Earnest.

First Class – Rainbow Kitten Surprise
This bunch sound quite angry, in a southern country rock kind of way. They have issues. A pleasant acoustic strum, quite like the odd burst of vocal harmony, quite rough-hewn, like a session track.

Silence Is Easy – Starsailor
Landfill indie – perfectly pleasant, tuneful, but no rough edges to catch your attention. Too easy. I can understand the attraction, but not my thing.

Right, it only remains for me to thank my Santa for the CD - I shall be adding some of those tracks to my iTunes for future plays. Thanks for compiling it. The sender likes a tune, he likes a melody, he likes a bit of feeling, a heartfelt sentiment, a little bit laddy, a little bit daddy, he is..........[mention=568]Somerset![/mention]

Oh, and I'll have The Train Is Coming for the "Best of" compilation......
Great, almost poetic review,............ I think you summed me up very well,.............. nice one.

Note: Southern recorded that in their garage in Northern Ireland..... hardly polished.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here