Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Amber Rudd used the word “coloured”

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today. If you’re a White person and can’t understand why this is seen as offensive by non-White people, perhaps, just don’t use that term.
Unless, of course you want to offend.

What word or description should we using so not to cause offence?.
Its very confusing for us older people in constant fear that we may offend someone because we are not keeping up with current trends.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly, for a lot of people on here Abbott is correct.

Just out of interest, what should Rudd have said to differentiate between ethnic backgrounds?

Well, 'black' is default I suppose. I quite like 'of part or full African ethnic origin' - made a few black people laugh with that one. Personally I am not bothered, nor would I be bothered to be called out, not that I would ever us 'coloured' as it is no longer 1974. Rudd is a type. She probably thinks 'coloured' is OK. As did the Cumberbach a few months ago. If I were black and she said it to my face, I may say 'I prefer black' or I may let it pass. There may be good reason to 'burn' Rudd but not this. But I'm happy to be corrected by any black prson who is genuinely cross about this (Abbott is to smug to be cross).

On a related note, cultural appropriation. White people doing Reggae? The Police? Fine. White people singing with a Jamaican accent? Erm....you decide :facepalm: Note, 10cc 'reggie holiday' or somesuch was cringeworty shite rather than cultural appropriation....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So if we all decide that we’ve had enough of being called white, all those using the term will have stop doing it and call us Caucasians instead.

Where does that end?

Why can we not use black and white to differentiate between two people who may otherwise be the same age, height and build?

I’m totally fed up with everyone taking offence at everything. Who, exactly is using these terms in a derogatory way?

I have a cousin called Gaye. Should she change her name? If so, what is acceptable?

I can’t believe this whole thread started because an MP dared to suggest that racist abuse was wrong!

I think black is okay, as is gay for homosexual people.

The point is that ‘ white has historically never been used as a general term of abuse, where as coloured, ******, paki, spastic,queer, have all been used as abusive terms for various groups. To use any of these , and other words that denigrate a specific group is considered now to be worthy of censure.

It may evolve that’gammon’ will be deemed to be a racist term of abuse in the future, and then everybody will have something to get irate about.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It seems that most of us are in agreement that Rudd is in her 90s and can be forgiven, the old rascal, for terminology that none of us young 40 somethings would use nowadays.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott criticised the use of the term, saying it was "outdated", "offensive" and a "revealing choice of words".
I think Diane Abbott's reaction is revealing.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
"women of colour" or "coloured women" what`s the difference ?

Apparently one is acceptable the the other isn't but I agree there is no difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suspect most people on here, regardless of whether they think the reaction is pathetic, or justified, wouldn't address a black or any other person as coloured. If you were picking out a person you wouldn't say, "not the white women, the coloured women next to her..." think about it, I suspect most of us wouldn't, because faux outrage or not, we know it's not a thing to say.
Yes, because the race of someone we're addressing is not usually the important bit. In your example we'd say 'No, not the woman with the jacket, the woman with the glasses next to her', rather than say what race they are. That's not relevant to Amber's point, as she was intending to stand up for woman from ethnic minorities. Her mistake was to say coloured woman, instead of black woman, or woman of colour.

I wouldn't say 'coloured woman', because I've grown up in a society that deems that term to be offensive, but there are other cultures where it's not offensive. I don't know if Amber has mixed with other cultures and accidentally assumed that the term is considered acceptable here, or what.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Apparently one is acceptable the the other isn't but I agree there is no difference.

Except in the historical context

C4709FA5-74D2-42B2-96B9-67C1F8847C72.jpeg

4894DF2C-EF6D-4221-9FF4-F9FF229D25DE.jpeg

C37B83C3-1FCB-42EE-80C5-AEB0E5CDA30B.jpeg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What is racist about Rudds comment ? Using the word coloured ? Would it have been ok if she had said black instead of coloured ?

Agreed. I never liked the word "coloured" myself, always preferred "black", but what a fuss about nothing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've no love for Rudd or the Tories, and narrow distinctions between words do matter and we should be careful with them ..... but Rudd for me is completely off the hook. There was clearly no intention to offend or whip up fervent far right groups. She made a mistake which I think is fairly easy to make. It's actually not that easy to reference ethnicity in a sentence.... I mean you can say the correct terms, "people of African origin", "people of colour" "BAME" etc, but none of them really fit neatly into a sentence. Certainly not if you're trying to make (in this case an anti-racist) point in a short interview.

She should have constructed a longer sentence to convey her point. No doubt she will in the future.

Dianne Abbott, showed why she rubs people up the wrong way by clearly implying that Amber Rudd is a racist. I think very few would have heard it like that. Abbott could have won a lot more respect by coming out and saying she didn't think there was any intent (given that the point being made was actually to defend her).

Yep. Like what I said. 100% right.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
More people every day ....

Equalities and Human Rights Commission announces it believes Labour might have broken the law by unlawfully discriminating against Jewish people - so ‘considering using statutory enforcement powers’ - party now has chance to respond - v serious indeed

— Laura Kuenssberg (@bbclaurak) March 7, 2019

I think you MIGHT be an idiot

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If you were picking out a person you wouldn't say, "not the white women, the coloured women next to her..." think about it, I suspect most of us wouldn't, because faux outrage or not, we know it's not a thing to say.

What about the one white woman in an audience full of black people? Would you address her as "the white woman", or would you go all PC and address her as "the woman in the red dress with the glasses"? Seems to me that referring to her as the white woman would be the quickest and easiest way of identifying her.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It was only latent racism. Nothing to worry about. Move on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rudd has actually apologised to Abbott. If Abbott has an ounce of class she will accept it. Let's see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here