Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Looks like gaming the head injury stoppage has become a thing

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Twice Burnley did it today, going down in the box when we were on the attack with a 'head injury' so the referee has no choice but to stop the game. First time the ball had hit McNeil's chest/arm, second time it was Mee or Hendricks who had headed the ball clear himself. This is a 'thing' now, isn't it.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
And no doubt hi-fiving each other in the dressing room after for their 'professionalism'. These players are morally bankrupt.

They were doing it before leaving the field.The guardian noticed.
Some instructive footage of Burnley walking off the pitch at the end of the match. James Tarkowski is larking around with Jeff Hendrick, miming the shoulder-turn and handball the midfielder got away with, just before the Clarets were awarded a match-settling penalty of their own. A lot of laughter, they know they’ve got away with one tonight.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The player down in the penalty area at the end was clutching his leg not head. another disgraceful f up by the ref. Game should never have stopped

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I'm sure Sean Dyche will have some harsh words for his players and make sure this never happens again: he absolutely hates cheating.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The problem with this, is that it's all very well managers and players training for this and congratulating each other when it works, but what happens when there is actually a head injury and the ref, having been made to feel like a mug on the last 20 occasions it has happens plays it on and someone suffers a brain bleed or something.

Feigning this sort of thing is hard to prove but not impossible. If there is video evidence of a clearly faked head injury with intention to stop the game, a serious example needs to be made of them. A 6 month ban. Or better, a league point for the team in question. That's the sort of severity I have in mind. Too late for that this season, but it wouldn't be impossible to write it into the rules for next season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Twice Burnley did it today, going down in the box when we were on the attack with a 'head injury' so the referee has no choice but to stop the game. First time the ball had hit McNeil's chest/arm, second time it was Mee or Hendricks who had headed the ball clear himself. This is a 'thing' now, isn't it.

His colleagues were so concerned about him writhing in agony that all but the goalie went to the the halfway line to take on refreshments and listen to old gravel voice :moo:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The player down in the penalty area at the end was clutching his leg not head. another disgraceful f up by the ref. Game should never have stopped

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To be fair to the ref, and it's the only time I'll use those words in relation to his performance tonight, he was absolutely mugged off by the Burnley players who were reacting as though Mee had a very serious injury indeed. As it turned out, and as we suspected, there was **** all wrong with him and it was yet more gamesmanship from Sean Dyche's team of honest pros.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
The consequences of getting this wrong are too serious, so disgusting cheats like Dyche and Burnley will get away with it. This should be all Dyche is asked about today, but obviously won't be.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The problem with this, is that it's all very well managers and players training for this and congratulating each other when it works, but what happens when there is actually a head injury and the ref, having been made to feel like a mug on the last 20 occasions it has happens plays it on and someone suffers a brain bleed or something.

Feigning this sort of thing is hard to prove but not impossible. If there is video evidence of a clearly faked head injury with intention to stop the game, a serious example needs to be made of them. A 6 month ban. Or better, a league point for the team in question. That's the sort of severity I have in mind. Too late for that this season, but it wouldn't be impossible to write it into the rules for next season.

I really thought McNeil was out cold in the first half, he looked like he wasn't moving at all. Turns out he was having a little rest, and the ref had waved him back on the pitch before Heaton's clearance had landed.

I like what you're saying, similar to that rugby case, but they would have to be bang to rights. More practically, I think it could be possible to change the rules so that the team in possession keeps the ball, maybe from a throw-in in line with the incident ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Simply make the "injured" player go and see a doctor in the dressing room. 5 minutes off the pitch would discourage fakery

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
To be fair to the ref, and it's the only time I'll use those words in relation to his performance tonight, he was absolutely mugged off by the Burnley players who were reacting as though Mee had a very serious injury indeed. As it turned out, and as we suspected, there was **** all wrong with him and it was yet more gamesmanship from Sean Dyche's team of honest pros.

But the problem it's not just Burnley, every teams does it except us. We are to nice for our own good. Dyche was in the 4th officials ear with every decision that did not go Burnley way, every manager does he same except Houghton. We need a nasty streak in us.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dyche is a sickening hypocrite. He spends every interview complaining that his is the only team that plays by the rules and yet his team repeatedly uses every gaming tip in Mick McCarthy's playbook. At least Mick had the honesty to admit that he would do anything to win. Dyche has always been the type of bloke who wants to claim the moral high ground at the same time as employing and defending Joey Barton. Nothing more needs to be said about the man.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't watch Burnley if you paid me. Fans who boo a player who was either racially abused or, according to them, made it all up. Time-wasting at every opportunity, gaining yards on every throw-in. A manager whose football philosophy ranks aside Pulis and Allardyce. Horrible.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Bong did it in the first half.

No the same at all. Bong was clearly caught and we were in possession of the ball after the clash, so gained no advantage even if it is was gamesmanship.

Plus, Burnley had a player writhing in agony at the same time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yep, in every game. Plus refs stopping play when clearly NOT a head or serious injury whatsoever.

Just part of modern football’s cheating, which reached these shores in the early 90’s - Klinsmann & co, and gradually absorbed by anglo saxon players too.

Not just PL, the Championship is the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here