Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The public have in many cases been sheltered from higher import costs with retailers taking the hit with disasterous consequences. But apparently its all worth it, cheaper shoes and clothing on the way, but Moggy says it will all be worth it in 50 years...

My local chippy put a sign in his window explaining that he has reluctantly had to raise his prices as Spuds and fish have never cost him so much.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My local chippy put a sign in his window explaining that he has reluctantly had to raise his prices as Spuds and fish have never cost him so much.
On this topic, one piece of good news last week was that the Daily Mail reported gloomy advertising sales, citing Brexit uncertainty among advertisers. Let that nasty rag suffer, at least. (Elsewhere on the DM, I see Quentin Letts has now abandoned ship.)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yeah my local chippy put up such sign couple years ago too. and a few years before that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On this topic, one piece of good news last week was that the Daily Mail reported gloomy advertising sales, citing Brexit uncertainty among advertisers. Let that nasty rag suffer, at least. (Elsewhere on the DM, I see Quentin Letts has now abandoned ship.)

Unfortunately he's doing a Melanie Phillips and leaving the DM for The Times though.:rolleyes:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What's the deal with this legal advice and why don't they just publish it? The withdrawal deal is published so everyone is able to review it from a legal perspective?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What's the deal with this legal advice and why don't they just publish it? The withdrawal deal is published so everyone is able to review it from a legal perspective?

If the reason is confidentiality then why no release the document to the shadow Brexit minister and the Brexit spokespersons for the other parties so that they can read it and to then ask questions in the house of the attorney general

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017

I think they are partly arguing that as the details relate to further negotiations that to release this would give the EU an a negotiating advantage, thus against the national interest. (arguebly any government discussions and there release could be against the national interest) they are also saying there is not much to see in the paper which seems like a contradiction, the MPs are naturally suspicious. There is also concern that there is no real power to force a contempt motion, and even if it would not be in time for the vote

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If the reason is confidentiality then why no release the document to the shadow Brexit minister and the Brexit spokespersons for the other parties so that they can read it and to then ask questions in the house of the attorney general

The opposition parties have had the opportunity to ask questions on the legalities within the withdrawal agreement since 4:30pm. So far, only about 2 of them have asked anything vaguely pertinent.

The Attorney Generals argument is that to publish his legal advice in full when we are still negotiating with the EU is not in the national interest. Not because it holds anything in it that compromises the govt, but because it may contain information that could compromise the negotiations (eg different negotiation scenarios etc). He stated in the commons that he would give exactly the same answers that he gave the government on any question that members wanted to ask about the withdrawal agreement. He gave some very interesting answers to those that asked pertinent questions. The trouble is that opposition MP's decided that the only question they wanted to ask is why would not publish the entire legal advice. He answered that question about 50 times and therefore, in my opinion, wasted a golden opportunity to get to the crux of the issues.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The opposition parties have had the opportunity to ask questions on the legalities within the withdrawal agreement since 4:30pm. So far, only about 2 of them have asked anything vaguely pertinent.

The Attorney Generals argument is that to publish his legal advice in full when we are still negotiating with the EU is not in the national interest. Not because it holds anything in it that compromises the govt, but because it may contain information that could compromise the negotiations (eg different negotiation scenarios etc). He stated in the commons that he would give exactly the same answers that he gave the government on any question that members wanted to ask about the withdrawal agreement. He gave some very interesting answers to those that asked pertinent questions. The trouble is that opposition MP's decided that the only question they wanted to ask is why would not publish the entire legal advice. He answered that question about 50 times and therefore, in my opinion, wasted a golden opportunity to get to the crux of the issues.

Why didn't the Tories vote against it then ???

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I see the far right, the guy whose stage name is Tommy Robinson and others, are doing a Brexit Betrayal March this Sunday. Let’s hope the centre and the left stand up to this.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

The problem is how can you ask questions about a document and its legal advise when you have not seen it?

It like being asked to review a book before it's been published

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The problem is how can you ask questions about a document and its legal advise when you have not seen it?

It like being asked to review a book before it's been published

It’s convention not to publish, and for good reasons outlined. Any sensible party would get their own advice, unfortunately Labour are not a sensible party anymore

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think they are partly arguing that as the details relate to further negotiations that to release this would give the EU an a negotiating advantage, thus against the national interest. (arguebly any government discussions and there release could be against the national interest) they are also saying there is not much to see in the paper which seems like a contradiction, the MPs are naturally suspicious. There is also concern that there is no real power to force a contempt motion, and even if it would not be in time for the vote

Hadn't appreciated that it was legal advice on future scenarios as well as the withdrawal deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here