Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Costa Rica (on ITV from Elland Road)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some are so conditioned to being negative about England that they refuse to see anything positive. Ive really liked the way Southgate has handled the manager role so far. Seems to be bringing the best out of these youngsters and has developed a style that suits the talent at our disposal best. We've showed lately that we really aren't too bad a team. I agree not too much depth compared to others, but i think this squad is capable of doing ok in the tournament playing this way. We'll see...

When Southgate took over I thought he'd lost his mind no more so than when Walker was a 3rd centre half. It worked, he wasn't swayed by the press - no one else even mooted it - and now its the accepted formation. It was brave as well, there would have been a shitstorm if t went wrong. He seems to have a plan in his head which doesn't involve Kane taking corners, 4-4-2 or practicing penalties to the point of putting pressure on or not bothering at all. I think we are in for a good World Cup.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION]. It was decent tonight.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
When Southgate took over I thought he'd lost his mind no more so than when Walker was a 3rd centre half. It worked, he wasn't swayed by the press - no one else even mooted it - and now its the accepted formation. It was brave as well, there would have been a shitstorm if t went wrong. He seems to have a plan in his head which doesn't involve Kane taking corners, 4-4-2 or practicing penalties to the point of putting pressure on or not bothering at all. I think we are in for a good World Cup.

Southgate has known these players for some time. They will give their best. All that can be asked really.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
To be fair I do have a possession caution from years ago but I've had none tonight. We have every chance of making the last 8 and then it's the luck of cup football.

Far too many England players caught in possession over the years. Not enough intent to supply...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Such a lot of very average teams in world cup. Look forward to last 16 when starts to get competitive

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Well, when you look at the group and the competition, regardless if we finish first or second, then it’s a fairly forgiving path to the quarters. At that point though, it gets real. Of course, we usually perform abysmally in the actual tournament so we’ll just have to hope we buck the trend. Slim chance, but that won’t stop me being stupidly excited, as always.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We have been excellent in qualifying and friendlies - as we have for many, many years. On the other hand our tournaments come around and we simply don’t play the same. We play with lead in our feet. Still, always love tournos with England and will enjoy all the football. It’s the hope that kills you!

Quarter finals would be successful enough for this team imo.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

He handles the media better than any England manager i remember too. Very professional and honest. What's not to like about his tenure so far?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

2nd round penalty knockout it is then. :rave::clap2::rave:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He handles the media better than any England manager i remember too. Very professional and honest. What's not to like about his tenure so far?

He also won a tournament with the U21s, so has experience of managing expectations.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Not watched England in years.....watching this rubbish....some points:

We got no centre midfield.......defence and attack ok - premier league standard.

We go no fluidity - don't look like a team.

Why is he playing debutants in the final game before a WC? He's had years to get a team together.

If we get to 2nd round it will be good.

Bottom line - poor.

You patently haven't watched England for years. That was Brazilian-like brilliance compared to the decades of dross we've seen since Euro 96.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
We were hardly dominating international football pre premier league though were we!? As for the future looking 'bleak', considering how well our youth teams have done lately the future certainly shouldn't be bleak, do wonder whether the lack of first team game time those lads are given in the prem will mean some don't reach their potential though..

Well said. People often blame the Premier League for England being so poor, completely forgetting that we have always been shit at competitive international football. The Golden Age of the English national team did not end in 1992, it ended in about 1922 when the rest of the world picked up the game. 1966 was an aberration that we've never come close to repeating.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why didn't Southgate know his starting line up before the 2 friendlies and play them as a team leading up to The World Cup ready for the first game.
What with fake injuries and trying new players in friendlies and qualifying, it seems to me that the team that plays in the major completions never play together before it starts.
No wonder we are crap.

This is classic “find a way to slag off England”. If we played the same 11 all the time people would say he’s run out of ideas, or why isn’t he giving the fringe players a go as they might be called upon.

It looks like the team vs Nigeria will pretty much be the team barring 1/2 changes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some are so conditioned to being negative about England that they refuse to see anything positive. Ive really liked the way Southgate has handled the manager role so far. Seems to be bringing the best out of these youngsters and has developed a style that suits the talent at our disposal best. We've showed lately that we really aren't too bad a team. I agree not too much depth compared to others, but i think this squad is capable of doing ok in the tournament playing this way. We'll see...

Absolutely this. We’ve looked solid and cohesive and, at times, are playing quite nice football.

Not quite sure what people are expecting, our reserves just very comfortably beat Costa Rica, and our recent results include a win over Holland, and draws with Italy, Brazil and Germany.

**** me some are hard to please, the negativity is really tedious and draining, get behind your team.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This is classic “find a way to slag off England”. If we played the same 11 all the time people would say he’s run out of ideas, or why isn’t he giving the fringe players a go as they might be called upon.

It looks like the team vs Nigeria will pretty much be the team barring 1/2 changes.

WHO?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We have been excellent in qualifying and friendlies - as we have for many, many years. On the other hand our tournaments come around and we simply don’t play the same. We play with lead in our feet. Still, always love tournos with England and will enjoy all the football. It’s the hope that kills you!

Quarter finals would be successful enough for this team imo.

You make good points. In friendlys there have been cracking performances against Germany twice - Vardys superb winning goal a few years back - and Argentina, the last minute 3-2 win spring to mind. For some reason they don't translate to tournaments. Maybe Wilshire isn't going because he hasn't got the personality for weeks away and the temperament to watch Rooney's wedding video half a dozen times? Whatever the reasons, we seem better set this time around. Let's hope so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here