Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They are the two largest and richest nations in the EU, so it's not surprising that they carry the most clout in the EU. However all decisions within the EU have to be reached unanimously, any nation can veto any decision they don't like.

no, they really cant. we wouldnt be here if that were the case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is true. All nations within the EU have a veto. It's one of the major barriers to a post-independence Scotland rejoining the EU, no way will Spain not veto it if it'll encourage the Catalans and Basques.

Brexiters are nit pickers, because it's their justification.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That argument can be turned around to you as well Clampy .... in previous posts you've categoricly claimed Brexit won't happen - yet here you still are defending remain. If you were so sure of us not leaving why are you still on the thread ?

Because my mind has been changed. As the years (years!) have gone by I have come to believe the worst will happen. Now I see it as a duty to highlight the lies you lot have fallen for and to put you all right. It won't stop Brexit but it might prevent you from making mistakes in the future. We shall see.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A quick question for our 'no deal' supporting friends.

After we have left, if we are having no border in NI, we are granting tariff free access to the whole world to all British markets. (WTO Most Favoured Nation). https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mostfavorednation.asp

It would then take an interesting approach in this wonderful new world of trade negotiations to persuade countries who have completely free access to strike a trade deal with us :facepalm:

But not all 'No deal' supporters are thick, definitely not :nono:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Brexiters are nit pickers, because it's their justification.

How is pulling someone up on the statement that members can veto ANYTHING they don't like when it's fundamentally untrue 'nit picking' ? It's a lie. It's strange that remainers get their knickers in a twist about that bus message which said 'we COULD' spend the money on the NHS - which doesn't mean 'we WILL' - yet remainers tell downright lies and it's 'nit picking'. Still not seen your evidence of why the government couldn't withdraw the European Communities Act nor where you got that 30% of settled status rejections from - but of course that is me 'nit picking'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How is pulling someone up on the statement that members can veto ANYTHING they don't like when it's fundamentally untrue 'nit picking' ? It's a lie. It's strange that remainers get their knickers in a twist about that bus message which said 'we COULD' spend the money on the NHS - which doesn't mean 'we WILL' - yet remainers tell downright lies and it's 'nit picking'. Still not seen your evidence of why the government couldn't withdraw the European Communities Act nor where you got that 30% of settled status rejections from - but of course that is me 'nit picking'.

Well you could show everyone that you're not just 'nit picking' by answering the question above which is fairly fundamental to 'no deal' plan ? Or, maybe explain how your preferred 'good deal' would work, fundamentally ?

(I'm just off out for the day, so no rush :thumbsup:)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The bus message was crucial to getting 3 million people out to vote who don't vote in elections due to it's inference after 6 years of austerity as previously discussed. I think about some of the benefit claimants in my neck of the woods who voted leave - people from the 13th most deprived neighborhood in the entire UK for example, who are the 3rd or 4th generation of families who've never worked - Vetos and QMV never came into it and sadly Turkey's and Christmas spring to mind for them - I shudder to think what's in store for them down the line. It doesn't get my knickers in a twist, it frankly makes my blood boil.

(I appreciate point scoring over this 30% claim on Settled Status with a 70 year old woman on the internet who isn't in the best of health is very important to you and posh boy pasta, I do however get the impression she may have simply confused it with the rejection rate on residency applications to The Home Office a year or so back. The Home Office is so shambolic with absolutely everything it does - it's difficult to keep abreast at what it's messing up and who it's messing over from one week to the next and I can fully appreciate it if that's what she's done here.)

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Countries only have a veto in certain areas. Elsewhere QMV is used - for example QMV is used in the following areas : border checks, culture, europol, ECJ and many more. You are correct that when it comes to actual membership then all countries have the right to veto a new member but you said they have that option in 'all decisions'.

Fair enough, I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong. Allow me to rephrase my post.

They are the two largest and richest nations in the EU, so it's not surprising that they carry the most clout in the EU. Virtually all decisions within the EU, and almost all the important ones, have to be reached unanimously. In those circumstances any nation can veto any decision they don't like, and negotiate opt-outs in others. Which is why (e.g.) the UK has not joined Schengen.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

Interesting false equivalence between one poster on NSC and the central promise of the Vote Leave campaign. Can you see why one might be slightly more problematic than the other?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Does this mean I'm now running the Government?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
List of lies about Brexit and the EU. It's set out in a fairly basic A-Z format so even the dimmest of Leave voters should be able to follow it (well, Mouldy Boots and Ppf might need to call a librarian over to help them). Enjoy, it's what you fell for;

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/list-of-brexit-lies

As if any leave voter is going to click on a link, to a document spelling out the lies they swallowed :shrug:

They don't want to know. They don't need to know. They WON (get over it).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
May have already been posted, but it made me laugh!

Attachments

• 802DFCF2-2C2B-4764-92EC-CD3AF0349A6D.jpeg
    802DFCF2-2C2B-4764-92EC-CD3AF0349A6D.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 137

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

And the poster of that admitted his mistake. Something your loony mob would never have the spine or the decency to do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bus message was crucial to getting 3 million people out to vote who don't vote in elections due to it's inference after 6 years of austerity as previously discussed. I think about some of the benefit claimants in my neck of the woods who voted leave - people from the 13th most deprived neighborhood in the entire UK for example, who are the 3rd or 4th generation of families who've never worked - Vetos and QMV never came into it and sadly Turkey's and Christmas spring to mind for them - I shudder to think what's in store for them down the line. It doesn't get my knickers in a twist, it frankly makes my blood boil.

(I appreciate point scoring over this 30% claim on Settled Status with a 70 year old woman on the internet who isn't in the best of health is very important to you and posh boy pasta, I do however get the impression she may have simply confused it with the rejection rate on residency applications to The Home Office a year or so back. The Home Office is so shambolic with absolutely everything it does - it's difficult to keep abreast at what it's messing up and who it's messing over from one week to the next and I can fully appreciate it if that's what she's done here.)

Thank you. I have a bit of time today so will try and search for what I read, but I suspect you may be right.
Btw, I had a birthday last week so no longer 70.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Why should you have to justify a democratic decision to leave the EU, you don't you get on with it and deliver
regards
DR

Because that's how democracy's work, unlike oligarchs and fascist states. You are a Nazi sympathizer by gloriying the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre by the DR in everypost you make.

In sane peoples eyes that dismisses everything you say and verges well beyond free speech.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here