Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion U23 v Wolves U23 Tonight 7pm PL2

thought the u23s might struggle this year after sending the best players out on loan. Since Connelly has widely been considered amongst the best i can only assume he might get some 1st playing time this season, although now Maupay has signed it might be difficult - give him a run out in the oh so unimportant Caraboa cup?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I am sure he will see first team action. Potter seems to rate him, he is is the first team photo and is in my view 5th striker. At some point injuries, suspensions or fixtures coming back to back will see him nudget towards the 18.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The squad that played yesterday, despite everyone out on loan, was still very strong (and quite old) for an U23 match.

Sanders, Alzate, Connolly, Cox, Dreyer and both of the Davies lads have been playing at this level or higher for several years now and should probably be pushing beyond this.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Some stiff opposition to overcome,but hope Aaron gets a few starts soon for the seniors.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The squad that played yesterday, despite everyone out on loan, was still very strong (and quite old) for an U23 match.

Sanders, Alzate, Connolly, Cox, Dreyer and both of the Davies lads have been playing at this level or higher for several years now and should probably be pushing beyond this.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/startseite/verein/39336
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/startseite/verein/9606

Not seeing too many oldies in last night's line up, just a couple of 21 year olds, experienced maybe.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I would have liked to have seen a few of those loaned to Championship sides by now. There is still time for a loan to League 1, or a good level of football abroad, I suppose. Connolly in particular I think would benefit from a half season in League 1 - he has been out on loan, but only played a couple of matches because of injury, IIRC. Alzate has already shone for a season in League 2, and is probably, IMHO, the closest of those on that list to a first team chance, so is probably best staying here; Loans for any of the others might still be on the cards though?

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
I would have liked to have seen a few of those loaned to Championship sides by now. There is still time for a loan to League 1, or a good level of football abroad, I suppose. Connolly in particular I think would benefit from a half season in League 1 - he has been out on loan, but only played a couple of matches because of injury, IIRC. Alzate has already shone for a season in League 2, and is probably, IMHO, the closest of those on that list to a first team chance, so is probably best staying here; Loans for any of the others might still be on the cards though?

Would of thought there would be loans for Keto, Cox, Sanders and both of the Davies to league one in the pipeline. I still think Connolly would benefit from a half season on loan to a league one club with mind to jump to the championship in January if things are going well.

Agreed with keeping Alzate though, touch of class.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would of thought there would be loans for Keto, Cox, Sanders and both of the Davies to league one in the pipeline. I still think Connolly would benefit from a half season on loan to a league one club with mind to jump to the championship in January if things are going well.

Agreed with keeping Alzate though, touch of class.

I dont think that any including Alzate are anywhere near Premier class and probably league 1 at the best, possibly Championship at a push.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Let's face it, you don't think any of our U23s are anywhere near anything - you say so after every U23 match.

They all appear so far off the pace and from yesterday I would say 3 looked to be quite good Richards, Roberts and Cochrane. Connolly , Cox, Sanders and O'Hora look to be ready for a League 1 loan and McGill looks a good prospect but still young but keepers usually improve with age and experience.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
They all appear so far off the pace and from yesterday I would say 3 looked to be quite good Richards, Roberts and Cochrane. Connolly , Cox, Sanders and O'Hora look to be ready for a League 1 loan and McGill looks a good prospect but still young but keepers usually improve with age and experience.

Disagree. Connolly has proved consistently he can score even against L1 opposition. He needs to be introduced to the 18 when chances arise.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disagree.
Yes, so do I!

Connolly has proved consistently he can score even against L1 opposition. He needs to be introduced to the 18 when chances arise.
Hardly - he's only played two games in L1 and a couple of League Cup games - and hasn't scored in any of them! He has scored against L1 opposition, but only in the checkatrade (or whatever) trophy.
A half season playing regular 'grown-up' football would do him a power of good, IMHO. Maybe back here for a bit of practice warming the bench in the new year.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes, so do I!

Hardly - he's only played two games in L1 and a couple of League Cup games - and hasn't scored in any of them! He has scored against L1 opposition, but only in the checkatrade (or whatever) trophy.
A half season playing regular 'grown-up' football would do him a power of good, IMHO. Maybe back here for a bit of practice warming the bench in the new year.

I suspect Potter etc want to see him every day in training, playing for U23, and assess his general demeanour/attitude before deciding whether to loan him out or keep him for cup games/ first team back up. There’s no doubt that he’s a goal scorer (at U23 level) but he needs to mature a bit and harness his aggression.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

How many players at 18 DO look 'ready' though? Sometimes the coaches will just spot something (like say a happy knack of scoring, like Connolly seems to possess) to convince them, that a kid is worth taking an immediate punt on. How many 'League One loans' did Rooney, Giggs, Owen, etc go out on? Conversely, the likes of Harry Kane had a whole succession of loan spells to mature - players are all different, but it is wrong to assume we definitely can't throw anyone straight in.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What’s happened to Tilley & Ahannach?

Tilley's loan at Cork finished at the end of June - his last match was on June 28 and he went off injured. He returned to Albion and had his first involvement of pre-season in the friendly at Carshalton on July 30. The Argus reported in early June that Colchester and Wycombe were interested in him (and a couple of weeks later reported that he was likely to be loaned out to a "lower league" club in England).

Ahannach was involved in pre-season and is featured in today's training ground photos.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tilley's loan at Cork finished at the end of June - his last match was on June 28 and he went off injured. He returned to Albion and had his first involvement of pre-season in the friendly at Carshalton on July 30. The Argus reported in early June that Colchester and Wycombe were interested in him (and a couple of weeks later reported that he was likely to be loaned out to a "lower league" club in England).

Ahannach was involved in pre-season and is featured in today's training ground photos.

Thanks AZ

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now faced with new evidence I'm changing my prediction on 'Who'll be the Albion's top goal scorer and how many' too:-

Connolly - a hundred million zillion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here