Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Happy Pride Day !

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Kylie was bloody fantastic in Preston Park last night.

What a great day that was. Off to enjoy it all again today.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Brilliant day topped off by an amazing Kylie performance that put her Glastonbury show in the shade. The atmosphere was just superb. Back to the park today to party on.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Looking forward to seeing legendary diva Grace Jones in the park later. Gotta love the clunkily named LoveBN1Fest they do on the sunday. Last year's was like the best school disco ever, courtesy of Jess Glynne, Gabrielle and Jesus of Cool Nile Rodgers. Wonder how Grace will like playing second on the bill to Jessie J though. Could be handbags.

I just googled Grace Jones as wondered how old she is, did you know she was once married to Attila!? :eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So apart from all that, Brighton's a great place yeah?

I love the fact that we have so many huge events like Pride, the festival/fringe festival, Burning of the Clocks etc. Makes Brighton and Hove a great place to be. Yeah it's got some scruffy parts and could be cleaner in areas, but the same could be said of most cities the world over. There are also many, many bloody lovely areas across the city - city centre (Brighton as well as Hove) and residential.

As for the mess being made - I hardly heard a Brighton accent all afternoon yesterday so Pride mess can hardly be blamed on locals

This.

Apart from Pride, there are always a bunch of miserablists painting the picture of Brighton and Hove as a shite place to live. Some are just bitchy folk living in (fantasy) perfect other towns elsewhere in the county, the rest are Brightonians who haven’t recently been to other cities in this country or overseas. If they don’t like it here,move away.

It’s a great city, a lovely place to live.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This.

Apart from Pride, there are always a bunch of miserablists painting the picture of Brighton and Hove as a shite place to live. Some are just bitchy folk living in (fantasy) perfect other towns elsewhere in the county, the rest are Brightonians who haven’t recently been to other cities in this country or overseas. If they don’t like it here,move away.

Yep. North Laine, the Lanes, 5 miles of mostly lovely seafront, Fiveways, Withdean, Seven Dials, north Brighton, Hanover, central Hove, lots of the residential areas of Hove, some lovely parks, Downs on our doorsteps, most sunshine/least rain in the UK... Yeah, what a s***hole

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This.

Disagree, Brighton is unique, it always has been, it's very Marmite, people either love it or hate it, you obviously love it, personally I have always accepted Brighton for what it is, and mostly I like it but you can't have a pop at people that don't because the city lends itself to that view.
I love diversity, it makes a city what it is in my opinion and Brighton has that in spades, but a lot of people do not like diversity, or huge amounts of students or homosexuals etc.
My view is that I have found Brightonians to be mostly tolerant, maybe the others should move to Bexhill.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So apart from all that, Brighton's a great place yeah?

I love the fact that we have so many huge events like Pride, the festival/fringe festival, Burning of the Clocks etc. Makes Brighton and Hove a great place to be. Yeah it's got some scruffy parts and could be cleaner in areas, but the same could be said of most cities the world over. There are also many, many bloody lovely areas across the city - city centre (Brighton as well as Hove) and residential.

As for the mess being made - I hardly heard a Brighton accent all afternoon yesterday so Pride mess can hardly be blamed on locals

I love Brighton. Born here, always loved it, always will. I've also travelled all over the world and, sadly, Brighton is one of the filthiest first world cities I can think of. It's the one thing that depresses me about coming home. Whether it's locals or visitors responsible doesn't really matter. More could be done to prevent littering - but it all costs money and, hey, nobody wants to pay tax, right? So I guess we're stuck with it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yep. North Laine, the Lanes, 5 miles of mostly lovely seafront, Fiveways, Withdean, Seven Dials, north Brighton, Hanover, central Hove, lots of the residential areas of Hove, some lovely parks, Downs on our doorsteps, most sunshine/least rain in the UK... Yeah, what a s***hole

And surrounded by great places too:
Falmer woods
Lewes
Undercliff walk to Rottingdean
Shoreham

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disagree, Brighton is unique, it always has been, it's very Marmite, people either love it or hate it, you obviously love it, personally I have always accepted Brighton for what it is, and mostly I like it but you can't have a pop at people that don't because the city lends itself to that view.
I love diversity, it makes a city what it is in my opinion and Brighton has that in spades, but a lot of people do not like diversity, or huge amounts of students or homosexuals etc.
My view is that I have found Brightonians to be mostly tolerant, maybe the others should move to Bexhill.

It's the constant bitching about the homeless, litter, students, young people having fun. Not so much on NSC, but on the Argus for example. Often grumpy gits who hate young people if they pipe up, or from some people who live in Worthing, Burgess Hill or Eastbourne. I know those towns very well and there are dumps, violence, etc there .... certainly no paradises.

As I grew up in the 70's and early 80's, Brighton was a bit of a tip, simply due to the austerity post-war, a lack of public funds. So many redundant or run down premises, public amenities not working such as fountains and the two councils failed to unite so ignored the stunning West Pier when it could've been fixed. The seafront under the arches was a rusting wasteland, dark at night, with just two pubs (good for fights).

The Labour, Green and Tory mixed councils in the last 30 years, plus huge private investment have really improved the city.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I love Brighton. Born here, always loved it, always will. I've also travelled all over the world and, sadly, Brighton is one of the filthiest first world cities I can think of. It's the one thing that depresses me about coming home. Whether it's locals or visitors responsible doesn't really matter. More could be done to prevent littering - but it all costs money and, hey, nobody wants to pay tax, right? So I guess we're stuck with it.

Is it really that 'filthy' compared to other cities? I disagree. Lots of very smart, well kept residential areas. The Lanes, North Laine areas of central Brighton, central Hove, large parts of the coast line, the parks, are all tidy and well kept. Around Churchill Square isn't too bad. Id agree along western road and around places like London Road, but again, all cities around the world will have those areas. Its easy to be critical of where you live compared to where you visit. Having lived abroad quite a lot, you soon realise that every city has its issues and problems and arent quite as squeaky clean as they might seem on a city break

Tagging is an issue (the same as so many cities across Europe) , and some areas re litter, but it is the very busy summer period.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's the constant bitching about the homeless, litter, students, young people having fun. Not so much on NSC, but on the Argus for example. Often grumpy gits who hate young people if they pipe up, or from some people who live in Worthing, Burgess Hill or Eastbourne. I know those towns very well and there are dumps, violence, etc there .... certainly no paradises.

As I grew up in the 70's and early 80's, Brighton was a bit of a tip, simply due to the austerity post-war, a lack of public funds. So many redundant or run down premises, public amenities not working such as fountains and the two councils failed to unite so ignored the stunning West Pier when it could've been fixed. The seafront under the arches was a rusting wasteland, dark at night, with just two pubs (good for fights).

The Labour, Green and Tory mixed councils in the last 30 years, plus huge private investment have really improved the city.

You are right about other places that you think are ok outside of Brighton.
My mum and dad live in Eastbourne, when I visit it is a far cry from the sedate, old peoples place, that I remember as a kid and teenager visiting from Tunbridge Wells and it wasn't just a day trip to the beach either, we used to have friends there and go down for the weekend, out on the town and stuff, so we got to know it quite well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here