Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere and maintaining it

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
We've shown the amex can be loud.

Wish they'd stop annoucing away crowd just pipes them up everytime 'come to see the ..' Chants!!

We need a concentrated effort to maintain this

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting some are comparing Monday with the Donny 1st game atmosphere. For me it blew that away (at least in the 1st half)

Thought the atmosphere at SW seemed louder than Boro, though that's only a TV observation

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Agreed, I wasn't suggesting flags for every seat each game, just more flags in the honesty box dotted around more parts of the ground.
Fair enough. More flags in honesty boxes for people keen to wave them - especially Family Stand but everywhere else too - is a good idea and should be put to the club.

Obviously there is a sense of having been here before, but it would be worth collecting together all "good" ideas on this thread and then passing it on to the club for their consideration and to prompt further discussion/action.

1. Try honesty boxes of flags in each stand for people who want them to collect on the way in and put back on their way out. Fairly sure this would be popular, respected and add to the sense of occasion/atmosphere.

2. Put together a 10 minute video to publish on Youtube and on here and e-mail to all STHs celebrating the fans efforts this year at home and away. Use the best available footage of Albion fans singing and making atmosphere - obviously mainly Sheff Weds at home but other times too - and include authentic messages from Tony Bloom, Chris Hughton and the players about how much it influences them on the pitch and how they want The Amex to be.

3. Loud music before kick off DOES seem to work in terms of setting the tone while the stadium is still filling up. The fans can take over once the game starts and everyone is in place.

4. The club don't need to artificially support the NSK or any other "ultra" type group. The Amex atmosphere should be unique to Brighton and not a copy of anything else. To have fans in all 4 stands actively supporting the team and singing out Albion songs is the aim.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
5. PLEASE STOP ANNOUNCING THE AWAY ATTENDANCE - it is pointless and as noted above the most usual effect is perking up the away fans for some piss-taking of us

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I wonder how loud it was for away fans compared to how it sounded for us at the riverside and hillsboro. Hopefully was the same for those weds fans in the away end

This is the opinion of a Sheffield Wednesday fan of many decades, a man who (being blind) is probably very well placed to comment on sound...

[tweet]732550746177167361[/tweet]

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I agree. Plus we're lucky [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has such grest links and connections to the club that we can actually have a voice and all work together to make the amex less fluffy and more intimidating

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Both links stop at "Hark to the merry bugles", but bloody hell, WOW! Just WOW!
This....!!!! After all the stuff that has been on here about SBTS over the past few years - including our campaign to the club for the words on the screen - this is final vindication.

It is incredible and I would love to hear the next few seconds of it. I suspect the GUTWTC v YMTTATWSOF melange will be a fraction disappointing (interesting to see which wins the day....?) but the overall effect is simply stunning.

If everyone knew it sounded like that then surely they would sing it out even louder and prouder. Around me in WSU it didn't feel like everyone was absolutely belting it out (and there is a video taken in WSU south end which seems to be mainly "der-der-de-der-der-der-der") so it could be even better...!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What was their opinion mate be good to read it
David Blunkett gave an interview and described a "force field" of noise that had them "shaking in their seats" in the away end - not bad .....

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
This....!!!! After all the stuff that has been on here about SBTS over the past few years - including our campaign to the club for the words on the screen - this is final vindication.

It is incredible and I would love to hear the next few seconds of it. I suspect the GUTWTC v YMTTATWSOF melange will be a fraction disappointing (interesting to see which wins the day....?) but the overall effect is simply stunning.

If everyone knew it sounded like that then surely they would sing it out even louder and prouder. Around me in WSU it didn't feel like everyone was absolutely belting it out (and there is a video taken in WSU south end which seems to be mainly "der-der-de-der-der-der-der") so it could be even better...!!!

I was BELTING it out.

And was disappointed NOT to be able to do so again, at the start of the second half.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Think of any great stadium gig you've been to; how does the crowd get rocking? They know the words to the songs! We need a sticky thread with approved hymns at the top as a start. Adding to the songs would be helpful I honestly think part of the issue is so many of our powerful old songs are attacks at the scum who tried to destroy our club, we need more songs about the history we are making now. At each home game decide on one new song from the thread and then someone with balls sings it.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Please please can we next season have an end to the songs about Croydon Palace as was the case on Monday. Songs about red and blue hoofballers do nothing to lift our players.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Please please can we next season have an end to the songs about Croydon Palace as was the case on Monday. Songs about red and blue hoofballers do nothing to lift our players.

This, I honestly think we've bypassed them on all fronts except league status in any case - fanbase, stadium, team unity (no Adebayor or Cabaye-style mercenaries), location, manager, assistant manager, chairman, the list is endless and it's high time we focused our attentions towards clubs who could actually fill their grounds in the top flight, starting with Burton Albion FC and Rotherham.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Safe standing in the North next season would be immense
Now is probably the right time to ask for it, as Tony witnessed what it was like at Middlesbrough and Sheffield, then made a call to arms for the home game, so he clearly feels the atmosphere is extremely important. If that's what he wants, then we should have safe standing in the North.

My Barder has said we can't get more fans in, due to other limits (like catering, toilets etc), and that the ticket price couldn't be reduced - fine, no problem. But we shou;d still have safe standing in the North.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Think of any great stadium gig you've been to; how does the crowd get rocking? They know the words to the songs! We need a sticky thread with approved hymns at the top as a start. Adding to the songs would be helpful I honestly think part of the issue is so many of our powerful old songs are attacks at the scum who tried to destroy our club, we need more songs about the history we are making now. At each home game decide on one new song from the thread and then someone with balls sings it.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that, if it was that easy every club would do it already.

Personally I don't think anything drastic needs to happen. The atmosphere is ok and it's still developing organically.

I'm not against a drum if it ends up in the right hands, but it should only be used for the longer songs that need a rhythm to keep going : Great escape, Chris Hughton's Blue&white army.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here