Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Laser eye surgery

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Has anyone had laser eye surgery? Just had a consultation at optimax in Hove, very impressed but at 4K for both eyes would like to make sure its worth the cost.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has anyone had laser eye surgery? Just had a consultation at optimax in Hove, very impressed but at 4K for both eyes would like to make sure its worth the cost.

Had it about 12 years ago (aged 40ish) to correct very long term short-sightedness. Paid about £3.3k then so price sounds about right. Absolutely life-changing, wish I’d done it years earlier (prescription was stable for a long time). Operation was nothing more than a bit uncomfortable for a few minutes, results were literally instant (you have to hang around for an hour afterwards for them to check everything is ok, but I was sat in the waiting room staring in wonder at the posters on the wall and being able to read them). Long sight remains better than 20/20 even now although I do wear reading glasses (which would’ve happened anyway). Recovery in full takes about a week, aftercare is very good.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Had mine at Optimax in Croydon (it was the only branch at the time) in 2002, when I was 27.
Seventeen years later, and it’s still the second best money I’ve ever spent (best money I ever spent was for IVF)
Cost me £1100 if I recall correctly, and have had 3 eye tests since with negligible deterioration recorded.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Has it done in 2005 for about 2k - ultralase.
One of the best things I’ve ever done.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I had mine done about ten years ago and have been extremely pleased with the results. I’ve still got great vision now. I remember being a little anxious on the day and then signing the form before the op which said that potentially I could be left blind which didn’t help. It was a pain free operation and my eyes settled down pretty quickly although I was sensitive to light for quite a while afterwards. Night time driving was the worst with the oncoming headlights.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Mrs had it done about 18 months ago, says it was the best things she has ever done .... although she day say painful first day

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
Depending on your age, I would recommend lens replacement, you will never experience any deterioration over time, although it is slightly more expensive

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

4K will be quite low-res in a few years.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Anybody with astigmatism had this done? I did so probably around a decade ago, and whilst I think it was money well spent, I don’t have the same evangelism of many others who’ve had it done. I didn’t have a distance defect, so perhaps that’s why I didn’t have the moment of wonder that most others talk about.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
Just had a double cataract operation and had both lenses replaced with long distance one as opposed to plain/clear or bifocal ones. Need reading glasses but vision now is superb. Night driving is a bit of a pain at the moment with the lights. Lens replacement seems to be the up and coming way to go

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The wife had it done about 7 years ago. She loves it and thinks it is one of the best things to happen to her.

She suffered quite badly for the first two days with pain and sensitivity to light but was fine after that. She has/had an astigmatism so not sure whether that contributed to the pain whereas others on here appear to have been fine pretty quickly.

In short - she says it is more than worth it and the 2k per eye that it cost

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another vote for the best purchases of my life. One eye was slightly worse than the other so I paid more for one eye than I did the other but all in was about £4k and that was 11 years ago.

Surgery is very very quick (<1 minute each eye) and completely painless. Does smell like burning flesh though and its quite an odd feeling having the lens of your eye lifted off your eyeball. When the local wears off it is not great but I went and had a kip for a couple of hours and when I woke up I was completely fine with better than 20/20 vision. I had slight inflammation so had to go back to the clinic 3 times in the first week so they could keep an eye on it but it didn't hurt and after a week they gave me the all clear. Seem to recall they did another follow up after a month and then three months.

If you can afford it then do it.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
My wife is contemplating having this done - any recommendations in the Sussex area?
She’s booked an initial free consultation at Optimax in hove. Anyone have anay experience here or recommendations for anywhere else? Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here