Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Yoda

English & European

Did he honestly say they would "Sweep the European Elections"?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That would be impossible to do as the European Elections take a form of Proportional Representation.

It's how his former toy, UKIP, used to do so well in those elections and not in the General Elections.

As only about ~33% of the population votes for the EU Elections (and is classed as a Second Order Election), they've never had the backing for a General Election. People see this as a Protest Vote against who they would normally vote for in a General Election as it has less consequence on the things that really matter. Not to mention for a General Election the turn out is ~66%.

Surely if people were that serious about Brexit (as they were in the referendum), then you would think UKIP would've won more seats in Parliament at the last Election May called, but no. They've never had more than TWO seats at any one time. Says all you need to know about what people think about them RUNNING the Country.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Nah, it will be me. Not damaged by Brexit and laughing about how I used to worry about its effect on people LIKE YOU.

REGARDS

CJ

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I agree with this sentiment. Of course Brexit really worries me and if and when it finally goes ahead I will be concerned about the divisions within the country and the prospects for the next generation. We will all need to adapt and compromise. However, there is no hope of evolution for terminally stupid people like ppf.... so s/he will need to get over it. S/he loses either way!

Jan 30, 2008
Good luck, you'll need it.
really, you keep on hiding behind that smoke screen of doom and gloom ,the EU is NOT the be all and end all for the UK ,no need for luck, freedom from a controlling undemocratic EU will be the way FORWARD , lots more unrest for the EU from within over the next few years but we wont be part of it
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008

That would be impossible to do as the European Elections take a form of Proportional Representation.

It's how his former toy, UKIP, used to do so well in those elections and not in the General Elections.

As only about ~33% of the population votes for the EU Elections (and is classed as a Second Order Election), they've never had the backing for a General Election. People see this as a Protest Vote against who they would normally vote for in a General Election as it has less consequence on the things that really matter. Not to mention for a General Election the turn out is ~66%.

Surely if people were that serious about Brexit (as they were in the referendum), then you would think UKIP would've won more seats in Parliament at the last Election May called, but no. They've never had more than TWO seats at any one time. Says all you need to know about what people think about them RUNNING the Country.
lets wait and see, hope you're not to shocked:wink:
regards
DR

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
The EU looks like the Soviet Union in 1991 ,on the verge of collapse ,George Soros in the Guardian i wonder if he is is stupid ,done alright for himself though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The EU looks like the Soviet Union in 1991 ,on the verge of collapse ,George Soros in the Guardian i wonder if he is is stupid ,done alright for himself though.

earnt a few bob by being right, he is pro European Union and that piece a call to pro-EU to sort themselves out and be more european, more union.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just heard on the news tonight that the French checked passports of people from outside of the Schengen area for a couple of hours at Calais this morning.

Queues back onto the M25. Well, who could have imagined that. 'No deal' is obviously the way ahead, what's the worst that could happen :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
earnt a few bob by being right, he is pro European Union and that piece a call to pro-EU to sort themselves out and be more european, more union.

And he is helping to fund the campaign to subvert the referendum result .... foreign influence seeking to interfere in our democratic process, where is the storm of outrage?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
National Front people like you make me sick.

I assume you realise I was being ironic.

You don't normally do irony so I can't be certain.

I was being ironic. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I admire your stamina, being reasonable with a troll. I can only assume you do it as practice for your day job. You teach kids with Special Educational Needs, right? ???:rolleyes:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Blimey, only a small minority bother to vote as a protest and it's just a 'second order election' .... yet numerous remainers on this thread have told me the European parliament is a shining beacon of EU democracy ???

UKIP support fell away at the last GE because the electorate mistakenly thought the UK political class would do as they promised and enact the referendum result in this once in a lifetime vote. Now they have seen the betrayal a pro-Brexit party will most likely finish first in the European elections yet again which is odd because many people on here claim their view of revoking or insisting the thickies vote again is a majority view. If that was true either the Lib Dems or CUK should be topping the polls.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Blimey, only a small minority bother to vote as a protest and it's just a 'second order election' .... yet numerous remainers on this thread have told me the European parliament is a shining beacon of EU democracy ???

UKIP support fell away at the last GE because the electorate mistakenly thought the UK political class would do as they promised and enact the referendum result in this once in a lifetime vote. Now they have seen the betrayal a pro-Brexit party will most likely finish first in the European elections yet again which is odd because many people on here claim their view of revoking or insisting the thickies vote again is a majority view. If that was true either the Lib Dems or CUK should be topping the polls.

Wish I'd kept a scorecard of the number of times that Remainers have referred to Leavers collectively as 'thickies' (etc) and compared this with the number of times the opposition have actually claimed this this. Ratio of about 1:20, I reckon, and it's getting a tad tiresome. This is not to discount the routine individual insults that fly across no-man's land so of which - it is the case - do bring into question the cognitive capabilities of one side of the argument.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Had a chat with a bloke up the boozer last night about Brexit, he had sunk a few pints. He told me the main reason he voted out was the pressure on our services through immigration, so I argued that austerity funding and lack of planning was more the fault, and that we can stop free movement if we can produce the figures that show it is causing real problems etc, and in the end he said, ok, but the main reason I voted out was for sovereignty, so I argued how that was nominal and he said, ok, but the main reason I voted out was free trade, so I argued that if you want to have standards of welfare for animals, workers etc. you need some level of protection against imports from places that don't have high standards, then he said ok, but the main reason I voted out was I think the EU is going to collapse in the near future, and we are better off getting out now than waiting for that to happen, I said ok, but what if you are wrong, he said, I am never wrong.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Had a chat with a bloke up the boozer last night about Brexit, he had sunk a few pints. He told me the main reason he voted out was the pressure on our services through immigration, so I argued that austerity funding and lack of planning was more the fault, and that we can stop free movement if we can produce the figures that show it is causing real problems etc, and in the end he said, ok, but the main reason I voted out was for sovereignty, so I argued how that was nominal and he said, ok, but the main reason I voted out was free trade, so I argued that if you want to have standards of welfare for animals, workers etc. you need some level of protection against imports from places that don't have high standards, then he said ok, but the main reason I voted out was I think the EU is going to collapse in the near future, and we are better off getting out now than waiting for that to happen, I said ok, but what if you are wrong, he said, I am never wrong.

Typical anecdote I'm afraid - explore deep enough into the logic and many Leave supporters' arguments fall away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I assume you realise I was being ironic.

You don't normally do irony so I can't be certain.
No, I don't do irony - having seen hundreds of your posts here, my interpretation is that you're a National Front racist.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not one of their arguments stand up to scrutiny. Morons.

I know the bloke is not a moron though, what he is trying to do is rationalise his belief, what I tried to do is persuade him to challenge his belief when there is no or little rationale there for it. We all do this or have done this to some extent, it's what makes beliefs, beliefs.
More people are willing to let go of the bogus arguments for Brexit these days, but those that cling to them believe that it would all be fine if we had just handled it better. Still a lot of people thinking the backstop is something the EU have created to frustrate Brexit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

When you look around you, and see that the two closest supporters of your 'No deal/Hard Border' Brexit on here are Ppf and Two profs, does it ever occur to you that maybe you should stop, pause and consider for a second or two ? Even Baker Lite has deserted you now.

No - Completely convinced you are correct, you stumble ever onwards and downwards, completely oblivious to what awaits if you were to get your preferred solution :shootself

(Which, as you've been getting told for 3 years, you won't :lolol: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here