Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5, 6, 7 players need to go!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How many players did we need when we were on 27 pts at Christmas?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But all managers can blame their tools, so in theory no managers would ever be at fault.

Imo i believe we have enough talent to attack and earn 3 points more often against mid to lower teams.
Yes, some have not performed as we liked but have they been mismanaged?

If the new manager asked you which players should be booted out this summer for us to progress (with TB backing the signing of new recruits), other than Muzza, who else would you choose to go this summer? No limit.

D

Deleted member 2719

If the new manager asked you which players should be booted out this summer for us to progress (with TB backing the signing of new recruits), other than Muzza, who else would you choose to go this summer? No limit.

I am not getting into all that as I don't know what style of football they would adopt.

I really lay most of the blame in the system we play against beatable sides and team selection for those games.
I won't be naming the removal of any in particular.

Who would you remove???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am not getting into all that as I don't know what style of football they would adopt.

I really lay most of the blame in the system we play against beatable sides and team selection for those games.
I won't be naming the removal of any in particular.

Who would you remove???

Burnley, Stains and Bmuff have better players than us, with pace, creativity and goals.

In reverse, I’d be happy with Dunk, Duffy, Burn, Stephens, Muzza, March, Bissouma, Izquierdo staying. Then content with their judgement in replacing any of the others. Obviously, they wouldn’t cull 15 players in one summer.

D

Deleted member 2719

Burnley, Stains and Bmuff have better players than us, with pace, creativity and goals.

In reverse, I’d be happy with Dunk, Duffy, Burn, Stephens, Muzza, March, Bissouma, Izquierdo staying. Then content with their judgement in replacing any of the others. Obviously, they wouldn’t cull 15 players in one summer.

I would agree with all those apart from Murray! I would add knocky and Andone though.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Agreed many of our squad are just not up to the job.The problem replacements cost big bucks and while the academy can’t be expected to be a conveyor belt I do feel that after 5 years it should have produced at least 1 or 2 by now.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That's because he's not as good as Stephens, and Stephens himself has reached his level.

That said, Tuesday is against Cardiff not Bournemouth and we'll need a cool head, passion and fight. For those reasons alone Kayal comes back into the reckoning.

Every game Kayal has played he has looked better than the rest of the midfield if you like commitment and players going forward and I can't see how Hughton doesn't see that.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bruno and Murray are both past it. Stop hanging on to the past, we need new fresh players.

I agree and disagree, they should be past it but their performances have not been as bad as other players so in the scenario we are in there are a number of other players who we might be better off moving on . next season who knows Murray has been written off the last two seasons and has delivered.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sorry but for the first half of the seasons the players were good enough to hold their own. From a economical point of view, it will be far cheaper to change a manager that isn't performing than it will be to change pretty much the entire squad as some seem to suggest.

The players lack direction and motivation. Can only mean one thing.

As I said on another thread, Hughton's time is up for me, whether or not we stay up.
I know it is fantasy, but I would love to have seen what Eddie Howe could have got out of our squad.
Trouble is, I don't think TB will get shot of Hughton, but you never know.
Finally, I should like to see us try and recruit some homegrown players rather than persist with the 'Tulips From Amsterdam' theme.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Assuming we stay up, this is what I’d go with

Goalie – I like Maty, but he needs to be run harder for his place. Button and Steele are clear back up’s we need someone at his level – Approx cost £15m.

Right Back – Montoya may improve, however I think we need a better player than him to get us up the league, we’ll surely need new back up anyway – Appox cost - 18M

Left Back – If we can sign Bong as a back up, we should.

Centre Back – We have good cover. I don’t think we’ll lose Dunk or Duffy

Midfield – I think we’ll lose Propper. We need a replacement, someone with his awareness of space, but who can get into the box and chip in 5-8 goals - Approx cost £25m

Wing – Just maybe Izquierdo will get fit and tear it up, Knocky will improve his self discipline, Solly will continue his improvement and Ali J will learn how to make the transition between Eredividse and Premier League, maybe we can get MacAillister in the country. If so – Approx cost nothing,,if not, approx cost £25m per winger

Deep lying striker – Losing Gross has been the biggest influence on this season has gone. We’ve had to adjust our formation as we don’t have anyone else who does what he does. A Genuine deep lying striker is needed so we can continue to play our best formation – Approx cost £25m

Striker – I sense the plan is to get another season out of Murray, whilst trying to get more game time out of Andone and Locadia. Hmmm. A clean slate is needed and a new striking talisman will be needed to take us forward – approx. cost £45m

Some work to do on the poker tables to save up for that little lot Tony

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The one thing we probably need to do in the summer, is that any player brought in for the first team, must be one that can hit the ground running, and we don't need to ease in while they get used to the PL. or nurse back from an minor injury. They need to be first team players from day one.

On our budget that probably only means 3 coming in, so assuming Bruno retires, Hemed leaves that leaves another 2 to leave which probably comes down to the positions that the new players are for, so that the existing starter moves o squad, and the current squad player os offloaded.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
On our budget that probably only means 3 coming in, so assuming Bruno retires, Hemed leaves that leaves another 2 to leave which probably comes down to the positions that the new players are for, so that the existing starter moves o squad, and the current squad player os offloaded.

So here's a potentially mad thought...why not keep Hemed and flog Locadia? Hemed has already done a job for us in the PL when called upon, got a few crucial goals for us first half of last season.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
If Propper ends up being our key CM creator next season in any division, we’re in deep shit.

I don’t think so, with better players around him he will show his potential.
Agreed he has not been good of late, but name me a player that has. If the team play well you do not look for scapegoats. When they play badly it is easy to pick on a few.
Proper in the right atmosphere ouses class.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t think so, with better players around him he will show his potential.
Agreed he has not been good of late, but name me a player that has. If the team play well you do not look for scapegoats. When they play badly it is easy to pick on a few.
Proper in the right atmosphere ouses class.

I can only see Propper working if we sign a CM allrounder in the summer, with pace and great at defensive duties (to work alongside Stephens when needed). The new player taking the ‘Bissouma’ role, but several seasons down the line in experience, the finished article.

With Propper left advanced, similarly to Gross’s role last season. Propper has no pace, so he can’t track pack in time to defend.

Possibly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Assuming we stay up, this is what I’d go with.
Unrealistic - we haven't got unlimited funds - we need to spend clever, and we need to spend where it will do most good.

Goalie – I like Maty, but he needs to be run harder for his place. Button and Steele are clear back up’s we need someone at his level – Approx cost £15m.
Button and Steele are doing fine. Plus we've got Walton and Sanchez. Leave the cheque book alone here!

Right Back – Montoya may improve, however I think we need a better player than him to get us up the league, we’ll surely need new back up anyway – Appox cost - 18M.
Montoya will be fine for one more season; Bruno for the odd back-up, cameo; if necessary promote from the U23s. Keep your hands in your pockets, Tony!

Bernardo and Bong. Good; end of.

Centre Back – We have good cover. I don’t think we’ll lose Dunk or Duffy.
Agreed.

Midfield – I think we’ll lose Propper. We need a replacement, someone with his awareness of space, but who can get into the box and chip in 5-8 goals - Approx cost £25m.
Doesn't matter who we lose - it's who we get in here that will make the difference. Two classy (and powerful) CMs, protecting the back 4, controlling the midfield, running the game, supplying slide-rule passes to the strikers and bombing into the penalty area to support them; plus chipping in with a few goals - it'll be amazing how much better the players around theM will play with these two around! Costly though - £30/£35M plus- each. I guess that would be our budget pretty well blown.
So be it - that's where the need is.

Wing – Just maybe Izquierdo will get fit and tear it up, Knocky will improve his self discipline, Solly will continue his improvement and Ali J will learn how to make the transition between Eredividse and Premier League, maybe we can get MacAillister in the country. If so – Approx cost nothing,,if not, approx cost £25m per winger.
Stick with what we've3 got, but maybe time to move on Knocky. If we're playing 4-3-3 we don't need so many wingers anyway. Bring through a youngster should it become absolutely necessary through injuries or suspensions.

Deep lying striker – Losing Gross has been the biggest influence on this season has gone. We’ve had to adjust our formation as we don’t have anyone else who does what he does. A Genuine deep lying striker is needed so we can continue to play our best formation – Approx cost £25m.
.....and if we're not going back to 4-4-1-1 we don't need one. With two top CMs actually playing 4-4-2 would be better - we wouldn't need to go 4-4-1-1 if the CMs weren't always 50 yards away from thecentre forward (with no chance of runningin to support him). Put the money towards those two midfielders.

Striker – I sense the plan is to get another season out of Murray, whilst trying to get more game time out of Andone and Locadia. Hmmm. A clean slate is needed and a new striking talisman will be needed to take us forward – approx. cost £45m.
£45M - you're 'avin' a giraffe! Let's see how many goals Locadia and Andone can score once they get the right support and a significant number of chances. Plus the odd ten minute cameo from dear old Glenn; then there's Connelly and Gyokeres lurking with intent, not to mention our little Percy currently over in Belgium.

True, but ffs spend it wisely! Focussed and targeted purchases, please not another job-lot of maybe hopefuls!

The one thing we probably need to do in the summer, is that any player brought in for the first team, must be one that can hit the ground running, and we don't need to ease in while they get used to the PL. or nurse back from an minor injury. They need to be first team players from day one......................

Amen and Hallelujah!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Assuming we stay up, this is what I’d go with

Right Back – Montoya may improve, however I think we need a better player than him to get us up the league, we’ll surely need new back up anyway – Appox cost - 18M

Centre Back – We have good cover. I don’t think we’ll lose Dunk or Duffy

Midfield – I think we’ll lose Propper. We need a replacement, someone with his awareness of space, but who can get into the box and chip in 5-8 goals - Approx cost £25m

Wing – Just maybe Izquierdo will get fit and tear it up, Knocky will improve his self discipline, Solly will continue his improvement and Ali J will learn how to make the transition between Eredividse and Premier League, maybe we can get MacAillister in the country. If so – Approx cost nothing,,if not, approx cost £25m per winger

Deep lying striker – Losing Gross has been the biggest influence on this season has gone. We’ve had to adjust our formation as we don’t have anyone else who does what he does. A Genuine deep lying striker is needed so we can continue to play our best formation – Approx cost £25m

Striker – I sense the plan is to get another season out of Murray, whilst trying to get more game time out of Andone and Locadia. Hmmm. A clean slate is needed and a new striking talisman will be needed to take us forward – approx. cost £45m

Not sure Tony is going on a 150M spending spree to be honest.

If we limp over the line we need to address key areas to improve. If CH stays:

CB - Sorry, for all D&D are lauded we are shipping goals by the dozen. What is the point of having two of the same mould if we can't keep things tight? Players run at them and they fall over themselves. Need an assured CB with pace and I'd be willing to take a hit on defending set pieces to get him.

CM - Seems to be the most talked about and the least agreed upon. People know my stance, Davy Propper is a square peg in a round hole. If we are going to play with effectively 2xDMs then let's bring one in who fits the profile, who has been tested at this level and who is ready for the challenge immediately.

CF - Speaks for itself, need a younger GM who can hang onto desperate balls fired into him and draw fouls. Abilty to score goals secondary. Will cost a fortune.

We can work with the wide players we have for the time being.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here