Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England were terrible today, hopefully that will be a wake up call. Out batted, bowled and fielded by the cheats.

Thought the Pakistan was a wake up call.

Turned out that was a snooze button to Sri Lanka, which itself was another snooze button to Australia.

Was Australia the call or another snooze!? :shrug:

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Thought the Pakistan was a wake up call.

Turned out that was a snooze button to Sri Lanka, which itself was another snooze button to Australia.

Was Australia the call or another snooze!? :shrug:

You do realise it's An English sporting team and we are doing what we do best bottling it. Doesn't matter if we are good enough we just haven't got it in our heads to be winners. Occasional success stories followed by the usual close but ****ed it up.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No one should be looking for a scapegoat but Mr Vince doesn't seem to be bringing much to the party right now and Moeen seems 'to bat like a millionaire' at times. I think the team with their 'no fear' brand of cricket sometimes resembles a 'no clue' one.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If Pakistan beat the Kiwi's we really are in trouble. Always feared when we were pre tourn favourites

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No one should be looking for a scapegoat but Mr Vince doesn't seem to be bringing much to the party right now and Moeen seems 'to bat like a millionaire' at times. I think the team with their 'no fear' brand of cricket sometimes resembles a 'no clue' one.

Christ how can anyone blame Vince, the captain and Buttler both caught on the rope with us in the mire. Only Stokes over 2 innings seemed to realise the game only need a strike rate of 70 and being in the game with a few wickets going into the last 10 overs.

I don’t get what’s coming out of the camp either, they must be in a parallel universe looking at the things they’re saying.

If Morgan was on the Titanic, with the stern slowly going under the water, he’d be saying how good the bow looked.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Picking Mo ahead of Liam Plunkett yesterday was a mad decision.

Putting Dawson in the squad seems like a crazy decision. We should have included Willey - look at the damage Australia did with their left-handers

Think the selection is largely irrelevant because it’s the mentality through the majority of the batting that’s the issue. Not sure you can look at the bowling too harshly chasing totals of 230 and 280. Tactically in constructing partnerships chasing low totals they’ve been awful. The wickets given away over the last 2 innings criminal, how many times caught on the rope going for modest totals with wickets down? It beggars belief what they’re thinking in there.

Other than Stokes I must say, they’re all thinking they’re a lot better than they are, and so far nothing is shaking that belief because we’re not seeing any change in approach.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You do realise it's An English sporting team and we are doing what we do best bottling it. Doesn't matter if we are good enough we just haven't got it in our heads to be winners. Occasional success stories followed by the usual close but ****ed it up.

Yep....World Cup cricket...not good enough.
Women’s World Cup ...played poor football at times and will be found out
Men’s World Cup...semi finalists and again blow it
Under 20’s cup...didn’t win a game.

There is no doubt we really do like to build our teams up when actually we should all be happy with a fourth place.

Good job the women are decent cricketers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I love this from Guardian report

"From there the innings unravelled. Jonny Bairstow played well before hitting the ball up in the air. Chris Woakes played well before hitting the ball up in the air. Adil Rashid played well before hitting the ball up in the air. Jofra Archer cut to the chase and simply hit the ball up in the air."

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Christ how can anyone blame Vince, the captain and Buttler both caught on the rope with us in the mire. Only Stokes over 2 innings seemed to realise the game only need a strike rate of 70 and being in the game with a few wickets going into the last 10 overs.

I don’t get what’s coming out of the camp either, they must be in a parallel universe looking at the things they’re saying.

If Morgan was on the Titanic, with the stern slowly going under the water, he’d be saying how good the bow looked.

If they pick the lad (Vince) again I hope he does well but these averages don't lie?

Tests - played 13 Average 24.90

ODIs - played 13 Average 24.09

Consistently 'average'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The two dismissals of root and vince were beaut balls and not many would have survived them....however Morgan’s dismissal was appalling. We needed him to settle down and grind a innings out and he came in throwing the bat.....you get the impression it is just a matter of time where decent sides will get Morgan. He smashes the afghans about and suddenly he is the best player the world has ever seen. Stokes and Bairstow, and buttler to be fair were the only ones to show any application. What the F Ali is still doing in the team I have no idea...ok he turns his arm over, but there are plenty of players in county cricket who can do that,mans better than him...so what is he in the side for...his batting confidence is shot!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they pick the lad (Vince) again I hope he does well but these averages don't lie?

Consistently 'average'.

Well I wouldn't pick him again, but we didn't lose because of Vince yesterday was all I was trying to say. 1 down in an innings can happen. Going to 53-4 is just shambolic.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I love this from Guardian report

"From there the innings unravelled. Jonny Bairstow played well before hitting the ball up in the air. Chris Woakes played well before hitting the ball up in the air. Adil Rashid played well before hitting the ball up in the air. Jofra Archer cut to the chase and simply hit the ball up in the air."

Morgan caught hitting the ball up in the air. Buttler caught hitting the ball up in the air.

It's absolutely mindboggling how they approached it in the last 2 innings.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Consistently 'average'.

This was Steve James in The Times today on Vince:

The brutal truth is that England are still waiting for Vince to make his mark in 50-over cricket, a batsman with one fifty and an average of 24.09 in 11 ODI innings, and they simply should not be doing that in a World Cup. This is no place for long shots.

It also emphasises what a fool Hales is. He could be here making a real name for himself. Instead he is in purdah and, without him and Roy, England are underpowered at the top of the order. You wonder how Sam Billings might have fared. The Kent batsman was here at Lord’s doing some media work. Had he not dislocated a shoulder in an innocuous fielding accident at Cardiff in April, he might have been opening here. You had to feel considerable sympathy for him as he watched on.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/will-englands-key-players-stand-up-in-cut-throat-games-z0jzrtsvf

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The two dismissals of root and vince were beaut balls and not many would have survived them....however Morgan’s dismissal was appalling. We needed him to settle down and grind a innings out and he came in throwing the bat.....you get the impression it is just a matter of time where decent sides will get Morgan. He smashes the afghans about and suddenly he is the best player the world has ever seen. Stokes and Bairstow, and buttler to be fair were the only ones to show any application. What the F Ali is still doing in the team I have no idea...ok he turns his arm over, but there are plenty of players in county cricket who can do that,mans better than him...so what is he in the side for...his batting confidence is shot!

I just don't get the approach. There is no plan B. You play a lot of cricket don't you? You go in with your team 4 down and you start to build a partnership, you're not looking to clear the boundary rope over midwicket until the game is starting to be winnable, especially when you should know you're the last partnership capable of getting you to within having a shot at the win. Why repeat the same errors of the previous innings all out for a similar total? Madness. 14 catches over the last 2 innings, only 4 by the keeper or slip. I don't know the exact figure, but must be 7 of them caught on the rope.

Why is Stokes the only one who seems to be able to change his game. He's looked every inch a circumspect considered, strike rate of 70 opening batsmen the way he's approached the last 2 innings. Is he really the only one with the mentality to read what the game requires.

I feel more angry this morning than yesterday. Not only have Sky pretty much turned their coverage into an Australian Day Parade, they've got enough confidence now where the Ashes, even with massive changes to the line ups, is going to be completely in their favour.

And I thought this summer was going to be a respite from the football last season!!!! :rant:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I just don't get the approach. There is no plan B. You play a lot of cricket don't you? You go in with your team 4 down and you start to build a partnership, you're not looking to clear the boundary rope over midwicket until the game is starting to be winnable,

Kane Williamson showed how to do it. NZ lost two wickets in the first over so another wicket would have been disastrous. He and Taylor put their heads down and ground it for a bit, Taylor departed and Williamson ground it out some more, It's not slow by test standards - he had a scoring rate of 80, but it did the job. Only Root can do that for England, if he's out early, the team is struggling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here