Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "We Don't Need to. We Finished 17" - Glenn Murray

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the new manager names GM in his 25, he and a fair few on the recruitment side, would have failed the club.
Not really, we already expect Izquierdo's place to be up for grabs for the first few months of the season, so it wouldn't be a problem if Glenn takes that place, as well as recruiting a new striker. Glenn would be an option from the bench when others are either suspended or not fit to play.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Cardiff's last minute winner had been correctly ruled out for offside, Murray’s last minute header had gone in against Newcastle and we'd held on a couple more minutes against spurs, we'd have finished 15th. But the season would have been fundamentally the same.
What about our penalty against Burnley?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yes it is.
No, that's one interpretation, but not what Glenn Murray meant. He meant we don't have to improve our league position. If you offered Klopp 90 points next season (that's 7 fewer than this season), with the condition that it was more than any other team, do you think he's say 'No, that's worse than this season'? :rolleyes:

How do you know what Glenn Murray meant...again that's your interpretation of what he meant.

I still believe we have to improve upon 17th position even if that's what he meant. Surely just staying up is not an option for third consecutive Premier League season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Because the team (management and/or recruitment) should be able to do an awful lot better.

Murray's 25 Prem goals has seen him finish 10th equal highest Prem scorer in each of the last two seasons.

He's the 4th highest-ranked Englishman over that period - only Kane, Sterling and Vardy have scored more.

Of course he can do a job for us in 2020/21 - Christ, if Burnley think Crouch can still do a job for them then Murray sure as hell can for us.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Murray's 25 Prem goals has seen him finish 10th equal highest Prem scorer in each of the last two seasons.

He's the 4th highest-ranked Englishman over that period - only Kane, Sterling and Vardy have scored more.

Of course he can do a job for us in 2020/21 - Christ, if Burnley think Crouch can still do a job for them then Murray sure as hell can for us.

What about 2019/20 first?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

48 goals in 118 league appearances since coming back. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] doesn't like the stats!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
48 goals in 118 league appearances since coming back. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] doesn't like the stats!

What's his offside to goals ratio this season. :lol:
I'll give him credit for his goals to shots on target ratio as that must be pretty good what with all the games, this season were he didn't register either. :jester:

Ok so I have an instant dislike of 'former greats returning home', I have to own that as something that clouds my judgement.
There's no doubting this return has been a fantastic success.

But I'm amazed so many posters can't see the diminishing returns and the effect he has on the players around him.

To take him forward into next season, with a new manager, who'll have only got the job having impressed Mr Bloom with talk of a more open and attacking style of play, is proper cray-cray.

Here's a simple question:-

If not with the Albion who would you expect GM to play semi regularly for next season?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In answer to the question on the need to improve next season.

Hope that's not how the new manager sees it.

To be fair, that is one line taken out of context, and he goes on to say that we will be aiming to improve (or similar)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll give him credit for his goals to shots on target ratio as that must be pretty good what with all the games, this season were he didn't register either. :jester:

Ok so I have an instant dislike of 'former greats returning home', I have to own that as something that clouds my judgement.

But I'm amazed so many posters can't see the diminishing returns and the effect he has on the players around him.

To take him forward into next season, with a new manager, who'll have only got the job having impressed Mr Bloom with talk of a more open and attacking style of play, is proper cray-cray.

If not with the Albion who would you expect GM to play semi regularly for next season?

Crawley Town

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What about all those decisions which went our way but we seem to have forgotten about?
It's roundabouts and swings :)
This particular season, there were far more against us than for us. It doesn't always even itself out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you know what Glenn Murray meant
Because it's bloody obvious, and even if it wasn't he went on to spell it out: 'If we finish 17th again, it doesn’t matter how many points it is by.'

I still believe we have to improve upon 17th position even if that's what he meant.
Why do we have to? What will happen if we don't?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Semi-regularly, I'd expect Norwich, Sheffield United, and the winner of Derby v Villa to all be in for him. I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Southampton took a punt for an alternative option, and expect Dyche would see him as decent back up too. Almost certainly there would be a queue from the Championship.

Of course they are diminishing returns, doesn't mean they are diminished to the extent of not being useful.

To blame the shitness of the likes of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh on Murray - that is a lot of clouds stat, a lot of clouds!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Because it's bloody obvious, and even if it wasn't he went on to spell it out: 'If we finish 17th again, it doesn’t matter how many points it is by.'

Why do we have to? What will happen if we don't?

I believe it's what the fans expect. As well as improved performances, levels of desire etc. I'm sure interest will drop off subsequently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Semi-regularly, I'd expect Norwich, Sheffield United, and the winner of Derby v Villa to all be in for him. I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Southampton took a punt for an alternative option, and expect Dyche would see him as decent back up too. Almost certainly there would be a queue from the Championship.

Of course they are diminishing returns, doesn't mean they are diminished to the extent of not being useful.

To blame the shitness of the likes of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh on Murray - that is a lot of clouds stat, a lot of clouds!

That's a bit lazy 'the promoted teams' although a front line of Murray and Billy Sharp would instantly give me a boost ahead of next season.
I'm sure all the promoted teams and the teams expecting promotion next season *cough* Leeds *cough* will have their sights set somewhat higher than GM.

Of course Murray isn't solely to blame for the general shithouseness of those around him, and I'm sorry it does read like that.
I should have taken that down a notch or two.

I don't believe Murray's style of play bought the best out of other players who all seemed to show glimpses of being better footballers when paired with the fast and mobile Andone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I believe it's what the fans expect. As well as improved performances, levels of desire etc. I'm sure interest will drop off subsequently.
That's fair enough. If we have a season of uninspiring football, and finish 17th, I imagine some fans won't renew, but I still don't see that as a disaster, it would still be better than giving it a right old go and finishing 18th.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's a bit lazy 'the promoted teams' although a front line of Murray and Billy Sharp would instantly give me a boost ahead of next season.
I'm sure all the promoted teams and the teams expecting promotion next season *cough* Leeds *cough* will have their sights set somewhat higher than GM.

Of course their sights will be higher. What we're talking is a player that will be relatively cheap to buy by PL standards, with a wage demand equally low down on the PL spectrum, who has scored 25 in 2 seasons and experience of the mentality needed to stay in the division. I'd have him in my 25 in a heartbeat. Hence I'd keep him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here