Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football needs VAR but laws of the game aren't ready for it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Have to confess I prefer “some you lose, some you win” and it tends to balance over a season. .

No-one was saying that after Cardiff away last season !

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not often I agree with Garth Crooks, but...

The Crooks of the Matter
It's only the second weekend of the season and VAR is already bugging the hell out of me. The whole point of the introduction of the technology was to eliminate the errors. What VAR is actually doing is looking for them. VAR can spot a toe, a stud or even when a players' tattoo is offside, but will not offer an opinion when a player has been clearly manhandled in the penalty area?

Tottenham's Erik Lamela practically assaulted Manchester City's Rodri in the box and VAR said nothing. Why? If Referee Michael Oliver did not see it then it was a clear and obvious error and VAR should have brought it to the referee's attention. So no help there.

Did this technological 'know it all' not see what everyone else saw or did this scientific genius go for a comfort break? Of course not. VAR is a spoiler. It seeks and searches for error. He's a show off! VAR comes into its own when it can combine the evidence with the facts. "Don't blame me!" it shouts. "I'm just giving you the facts and attaching them to the evidence and the laws of the game."

Meanwhile, the game has developed a virus but football doesn't know it yet and it's in danger of affecting the whole game. VAR's decision to disallow Gabriel Jesus' injury-time goal based on the new law, introduced this season, regarding handball, was nothing short of laughable. The law is an ass but more worryingly the game is in danger of becoming a joke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was very much in favour of VAR but I’m of the opposite view now. Knowing each and every goal is now going to be scrutinised for the tiniest of infringements is a real worry. I also feel we have totally lost sight of the original intentions of the off-side law if we are now using it with such fine margins to cancel out goals. Something is going to have to change.

I think I have said this now more time's than I have said 'lucky I have X on ignore': change offside to 'clear blue daylight' and people won't feel cheated if an offside is missed then called 30 seconds later by VAR. Get rid of the new handball rules, particularly the one that says an accidental handball is still an offence if the handballer's team get a goal shortly after the 'offence'.

I will also add a new analogy for all the analogy fans out there.

Going down the pub lost all its appeal to me after they tightened the drink driving legislation. You just can't beat the thrill of a slightly pissed drive home at speed down country lanes. It is probably wrong to admit this, but it is fact.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Going down the pub lost all its appeal to me after they tightened the drink driving legislation. You just can't beat the thrill of a slightly pissed drive home at speed down country lanes. It is probably wrong to admit this, but it is fact.

I seriously hope no-one has lost a loved one from a drink driver on here from that bloody irresponsible comment.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

My god I have seen some crap analogies but I don't think this will ever be beaten :nono:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think I have said this now more time's than I have said 'lucky I have X on ignore': change offside to 'clear blue daylight' and people won't feel cheated if an offside is missed then called 30 seconds later by VAR. Get rid of the new handball rules, particularly the one that says an accidental handball is still an offence if the handballer's team get a goal shortly after the 'offence'.

Remind me not to drive round the country lanes of Faversham when you're out on the piss Harry!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Funny thing is all the pundits and people moaning about it are the same ones that have been banging on and on about getting it for years.

I cringed every time people used to argue for it , was obvious it would f k up the game a little bit.

I wonder if they could cancel VAR as its not working.

Won't happen I know , prob too many on the pay roll to reverse it and of course prob for a neutral watching at home it is more exciting.

Its killed things for the live fan . . .. . and the importance of that was lost a long time a go.

Sad state of affairs

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Stick your tin hat on

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just like to point out that i posted the full article for all to read and its been deleted, proving that someone is making some money out of clicks there from this site. All a bit underhand if you ask me.

We could have a whip round to cover NSC costs instead.
How much would you like to contribute to get the ball rolling ?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It was said introducing VAR would make football boring. That it would take away the drama and deprive fans and pundits of having anything to talk about after matches.

Yet whenever it’s used during a game, it’s all anybody can talk about. The video assistant referee (VAR) was brought in to rid the game of questionable goals, dodgy penalty decisions and to remove the subjective calls made by referees in the heat of the moment.

It hasn’t really done any of that. Perhaps it’s even had the opposite impact; there is now more debate than ever before.

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/30cQJZf

It's all part of inevitable drive towards becoming something that we may not even recognise as football

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My god I have seen some crap analogies but I don't think this will ever be beaten :nono:

Indeed. Sorry my friend, this is a terrible analogy. Quite apart from the fact it's a bit crass VAR is much more analogous to CCTV or speed cameras in this instance. And having CCTV does not mean you should automatically change the amount of alcohol allowed in someone's blood stream when they drive. They are two separate things.

VAR has allowed the implementation of a very, very stupid handball rule that ruined the City v Spurs game (City, whatever you think of them, totally deserved to win that game) and has changed the offside implementation from the attacker getting the benefit when appearing to be level, to the defender getting the benefit when said attacker's left toenail is offside after the ball has been kicked.

In fact, if you want to continue with the crass analogy it's rather like saying that now we have all these cameras the roads should be safer so let's up the limts to four pints.

Beyond that I do get that you're advocating better outcomes through science. When it comes to medical process, vaccination, debunking of self diagnosis and conspiracy I'm right with you. But football is an art and art has to have its place.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indeed. Sorry my friend, this is a terrible analogy. Quite apart from the fact it's a bit crass VAR is much more analogous to CCTV or speed cameras in this instance. And having CCTV does not mean you should automatically change the amount of alcohol allowed in someone's blood stream when they drive. They are two separate things.

VAR has allowed the implementation of a very, very stupid handball rule that ruined the City v Spurs game (City, whatever you think of them, totally deserved to win that game) and has changed the offside implementation from the attacker getting the benefit when appearing to be level, to the defender getting the benefit when said attacker's left toenail is offside after the ball has been kicked.

In fact, if you want to continue with the crass analogy it's rather like saying that now we have all these cameras the roads should be safer so let's up the limts to four pints.

Beyond that I do get that you're advocating better outcomes through science. When it comes to medical process, vaccination, debunking of self diagnosis and conspiracy I'm right with you. But football is an art and art has to have its place.

That's told him :ffsparr:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Just like to point out that i posted the full article for all to read and its been deleted, proving that someone is making some money out of clicks there from this site. All a bit underhand if you ask me.

Bozza was quite clear some time ago that NSC makes a decent amount per click through onto Football Whispers. I genuinely don’t get why anyone would have an issue with that. Hosting any site or forum is not free. If Bozza makes a profit, even a decent profit from NSC, then who cares? I would PREFER that NSC operates profitably from this sort of thing and a few fairly inoffensive ads than more aggressive alternatives.

Each to their own :)

I also quite like FW articles. Enjoy reading most things about BHA :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here