Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Naylor leaving seems to have lowered the hint level.

It does indeed seem like nothing is happening, and that this is an incredibly dull window, but I suppose we just have to assume they are working on deals.

you don't have to assume it . sources close to the club are telling the Argus that and they are reporting it.
Wednesday - "Albion are expected to add to their squad"
Previous week "Albion are still expected to sign a striker and a right-back this summer and are interested in Brentford frontrunner Neal Maupay.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17789972.two-go-albion-quest-signings-continues/

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Though to be fair, surely as a manager you cannot be happy if you haven’t got a near finished squad to work with.

Do you think he's saying to the recruitment team ? You know those key players i asked for that you're looking to spend ££ on. . Just. Don't bother now. Its too late.
Forget it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Do you think he's saying to the recruitment team ? You know those key players i asked for that you're looking to spend ££ on. . Just. Don't bother now. Its too late.
Forget it.

Don’t be ridiculous.....
How on earth have you concluded that from my post?

The fact remains it is better to have players as early as possible,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Though to be fair, surely as a manager you cannot be happy if you haven’t got a near finished squad to work with. (Though Perhaps we have).

Preparation at this level is everything, if we sign three of four in deadline week, can we really anticipate them making a meaningful impact for the first few weeks, as there’s systems to learn etc....

True, and if we were buying off of Ebay, we could hit buy it now and get who we wanted straight away.

Unfortunately we aren't, we have to negotiate with other clubs, run buy wiley businessmen who can see we are in need of certain players and also know that if they hold out until deadline day they can demand top dollar.

At the same time we have to deal with Agents, who look at us and think, let's not commit to a deal just yet, another bigger team might still come in for my man.

We therefore have to wait and hope things pan out. Alternatively we lower our expectations, pay over the odds and sign players now who are probably worse than we have already.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
With Gyokeres and Mlakar going out on loan, you'd assume that there is a striker signing in the wings. Great for them to get the chance to play at a higher level on their loans.

Like the idea that we have such quality in our U23s that they can go out on loans at a half decent level (compared to Lewes etc...). Shows progression at that level for us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don’t be ridiculous.....
How on earth have you concluded that from my post?

The fact remains it is better to have players as early as possible,.

Apologies i was being flippant.
But to be serious. Is that a fact ? Surely the most important thing in a transfer window for the club is to sign the best player possible, for the right price ?
So that might mean waiting. Potter i'm sure wants the gaps filled in his squad with the best possible player. If that means landing him on the last day even - then so be it.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
With Gyokeres and Mlakar going out on loan, you'd assume that there is a striker signing in the wings. Great for them to get the chance to play at a higher level on their loans.

Like the idea that we have such quality in our U23s that they can go out on loans at a half decent level (compared to Lewes etc...). Shows progression at that level for us.

rather weakens our U23s, though !

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True, and if we were buying off of Ebay, we could hit buy it now and get who we wanted straight away.

Unfortunately we aren't, we have to negotiate with other clubs, run buy wiley businessmen who can see we are in need of certain players and also know that if they hold out until deadline day they can demand top dollar.

At the same time we have to deal with Agents, who look at us and think, let's not commit to a deal just yet, another bigger team might still come in for my man.

We therefore have to wait and hope things pan out. Alternatively we lower our expectations, pay over the odds and sign players now who are probably worse than we have already.

Yes it’s all very much a fine line and probably an art.....

It all used to seem so much easier.

We haven’t signed any free agents this year, presumably there wasn’t much that interested us....:

Previous years Gross and Balogun....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apologies i was being flippant.
But to be serious. Is that a fact ? Surely the most important thing in a transfer window for the club is to sign the best player possible, for the right price ?
So that might mean waiting. Potter i'm sure wants the gaps filled in his squad with the best possible player. If that means landing him on the last day even - then so be it.

No problem.

I would say ‘yes’, fact wise and whilst you do want the best player possible and may wait, I am certain a manager would want the squad as complete as possible with two weeks to go.

I mean AJ undoubtedly would have benefited from being with us earlier as would Izquierdo, though I appreciate the delays were down to international duty. In the end both debuts were delayed whilst they learned roles etc....

When Murray joined he went to Spain on preseason then started vs Forest....

It is a juggling act, but I would be concerned if Montoya does a groin, we then sign a new RB on deadline day with a game 2 days later...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not looking forward to us being 1 of several clubs wanting a striker on transfer deadline day with the bidding wars causing prices to go through the roof.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Yes it’s all very much a fine line and probably an art.....

It all used to seem so much easier.

We haven’t signed any free agents this year, presumably there wasn’t much that interested us....:

Previous years Gross and Balogun....

We might be looking at better quality this season. In drawn out negotiations, trying to convince our targets that we can satisfy their ambitions.

Sander Berge was being mentioned last week. And as we haven't heard a concrete 'no', we may still be in with a shout. Just as long as a bigger fish doesnt show any interest before deadline day. Who knows?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
By Jove...a bloody rumour has surfaced...probably shite but here goes...Phillip Billing... more likely off to Eddie's mob though!
Might be borderline on the no dickhead test ? ???

Rumours he was a bit 'non comitted' to Huddersfield last year ? ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No problem.

I mean AJ undoubtedly would have benefited from being with us earlier as would Izquierdo, though I appreciate the delays were down to international duty. In the end both debuts were delayed

Izquierdo in 2017 made his debut 6 days after signing
Ali J last season made his debut v Watford in the first game of the season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Izquierdo in 2017 made his debut 6 days after signing
Ali J last season made his debut v Watford in the first game of the season.

As a sub, he didn’t start a game until West Ham away.

A 10 min sub appearance.

Did AJ start? Can’t remember that

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We are talking about timeliness of signings... not whether it is targeted or scatter-gun... the lack of evident progress when the 1st team gaps are oh so ****ing obvious is very disappointing IMHO...

I bet your a laugh a minute on Christmas eve?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here