Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter interview - the i

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The way things are planning out in the transfer window, Potter won’t have much choice but to use kids at some stage in the PL.

And TB and Ashworth have made it pretty clear that it’s now part of his job description too.

Feel a bit for him to be honest. Ashworth will already have identified two or three potential replacements. As we seem to have moved away from the ethos of not sacking managers, the trigger finger will already be primed.

Think you're just trolling if 6 weeks in , with no games played , you're trying to get a convo going about sacking the poor bloke. !!

But if not The way things are really panning out in the transfer window is that the club are looking to fill several of the remaining gaps (RB, CM, CF) which means that the chances of a pathway to the first team (of Brighton at least) for our youngsters is and will continue to be limited. But thats probably more of an opportunity than under Hughton. (he didn't for various reasons - academy wasn't as developed, pressure for points, squad remained relatively fit - rather than imo - some allergic reaction to the idea).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quote from Potter in the Argus: “It’s just the final bits around decision-making in the final third which we all have to improve with."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sp...ter-praises-albion-playmakers-footballing-iq/

At least he has identified our worst sin. Will he be able to iron out what Hughton couldn't with more or less the same set of players?

This pleases me, as it suggests he knows what he is doing when it comes to the loan out of Knockaert, as personally I always felt that was his achiles heel.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think the start of the season is going to be tough, and not too much joy for us, but we will get our reward with patience.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A Swansea fan who goes to a few games was telling me mid-season they just could not get any consistency. I think that was after Swans had a heavy defeat at QPR. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

Harvey's will help when needed.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Meritocratic

Is that the first time this word has appeared on NSC?

If Potter’s use of young players is as good as his use of English we are in for a treat :lolol:

In his interview with The Sun which can be read on the other thread he refrains from using that particular word.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Yes, Potter didn't have to find ways for his defence to stop Kane, Salah, Rashford etc

Those three are practically irrelevant to our survival, we are not expected to beat the top teams, just as long as we can beat the bottom 12 teams at the Amex we survive.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This pleases me, as it suggests he knows what he is doing when it comes to the loan out of Knockaert, as personally I always felt that was his achiles heel.

He carried quite a lot of emotional baggage with him with certain events in his life and he was the sort of player who could inspire his team mates or bring them down. He had a lot of attention and probably ended up being a bit spoilt when even him having bad games his song was sung the loudest. We were probably bad for him in the end and he needed a fresh new start, and our squad can focus as equals.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The mentality of the squad was what needed to change and breaking that with a new manager could be a master stroke. What I'm certain is we won't be as bad for the remainder of 2019 as the first 5 months were. Under CH when things weren't going to plan we didn't have a plan B and we would only use around 20 players in any capacity, I hope under Potter he will try new things and give youngsters a chance when his original plan A hasn't worked

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well, if we'd lost to Man U at home, we'd be down.

Those three are practically irrelevant to our survival, we are not expected to beat the top teams, just as long as we can beat the bottom 12 teams at the Amex we survive.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Who are these imaginary "whizz kids"? The majority of our best U23's are already out on loan.

el punal

The way things are planning out in the transfer window, Potter won’t have much choice but to use kids at some stage in the PL.

And TB and Ashworth have made it pretty clear that it’s now part of his job description too.

Feel a bit for him to be honest. Ashworth will already have identified two or three potential replacements. As we seem to have moved away from the ethos of not sacking managers, the trigger finger will already be primed.

So says the man on the inside eh? ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And if we'd lost to Man U at home, but beaten Newcastle, Burnley, Bournemouth and Southampton (all bottom 12) at home, we would have been comfortably safe.

Apart from Newcastle, when was the last time we beat Burnley, Bournemouth, or Southampton at home?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who are these imaginary "whizz kids"? The majority of our best U23's are already out on loan.

Other than the 5+ obvious candidates who are still training with the first team squad.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ridiculous. Unless you're Man City, you are never going to win 12 out of 12 of those games. Football doesn't work like that. Neither will we lose all 19 of our away games. If we’re going to survive we will need unexpected points to compensate for losing points in the games we’d expect to win. Potter will have to try to find a way to stop Salah, Rashford and Kane etc

And if we'd lost to Man U at home, but beaten Newcastle, Burnley, Bournemouth and Southampton (all bottom 12) at home, we would have been comfortably safe.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Potter’s progressive approach coupled with giving youngsters a chance, will not be nearly enough in this league.
We urgently need to make at least three significant signings.
If we don’t, I suspect potter will be gone by Christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here