Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Old Timber Front Door - draught control

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm a draughtsman by trade, had to give it up though, my knees don't like it.

Our house front faces east and is well sheltered from most inclement weather, despite having a period 30's wooden/leaded light front door, my best suggestion would be to turn your house round.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
New door, mate. Wonky wood is more trouble than it's worth.

Have to agree with H. Go plastic, I don't class myself as a super d.i.y.er but have bought and fitted two exterior upvc door and frames over the years, it's no problem as long as you measure correctly and ensure you fit it exactly square, they even make frame fixings ( hardened screws) that screw directly into masonry once drilled to size so no need for rawlplugs and also packers of different thicknesses to take up any gaps to ensure exact fitting, then a tin of expanding foam, make good and jobs a good un.
Never get another draught and security is improved as a bonus.

Or save time and just get the Missus to lay down at the bottom of the door..just make her the occasional cup of tea
Not furry enough. Get a cat instead.

a tin of expanding foam, make good and....
I'd like to see you open the lid...

I'm a draughtsman by trade, had to give it up though, my knees don't like it.
Couldn't you have got one of those big sloping desk thingies instead of using the floor?

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Might be worth going a bit old school on the draft exclusion front,and go for a thermal door curtain.A basic one will only cost £20,then if it works get a fancier one from Dunelm.Worked a treat for us in a very windy Tovil.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Have to agree with H. Go plastic, I don't class myself as a super d.i.y.er but have bought and fitted two exterior upvc door and frames over the years, it's no problem as long as you measure correctly and ensure you fit it exactly square, they even make frame fixings ( hardened screws) that screw directly into masonry once drilled to size so no need for rawlplugs and also packers of different thicknesses to take up any gaps to ensure exact fitting, then a tin of expanding foam, make good and jobs a good un.
Never get another draught and security is improved as a bonus.

As someone that works for a high end joinery company I couldn't disagree more. Modern timber doors such as ours are machined for multipoint locking systems which are actually much more secure in a timber door than UPVC. When you add the fact that most UPVC doors have panels that can be kicked out you are left with a very poor door from a security perspective.

Would agree with others that the OP needs a new door but a high quality timber door from a 'Secured by Design' certified manufacturer will always be superior.

If you are going plastic you are better off with a composite door. Miles better security, insulation and appearance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As someone that works for a high end joinery company I couldn't disagree more. Modern timber doors such as ours are machined for multipoint locking systems which are actually much more secure in a timber door than UPVC. When you add the fact that most UPVC doors have panels that can be kicked out you are left with a very poor door from a security perspective.

Would agree with others that the OP needs a new door but a high quality timber door from a 'Secured by Design' certified manufacturer will always be superior.

If you are going plastic you are better off with a composite door. Miles better security, insulation and appearance.

PM your details, maybe get a price from you. :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good post, plastic is not a sustainable or sensible building material. in 47 1/2 year our current house is the newest I've lived in having been built in '48. My old cottage was built in 1720 and made of rocks and trees, it'll still be there in another few hundred years, with a bit of care and maintenance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for all the help and advice ( [MENTION=12929]sjamesb3466[/MENTION] :thumbsup:). Going to reduce the gaps with some timber strips to the frame, and bought these in the end which should be job done for under £50 and retains a really nice old solid original 1930s door.

q-lon-retro-21b-by-schlegel-595-p[ekm]278x300[ekm].jpg

standard-93-cm-doorway-with-klose-joined-besser-T-703370-2368227_1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here