Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We were here last season after Barnsley defeat...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2012-13
match 35 - drew 0-0 Bristol City away
match 36 - lost 0-1 Bolton away
match 37 - lost 1-2 Barnsley away

P37 W14 D14 L9 PTS 56

position 7th 3pts off 6th with a game in hand.

2013-14

P37 W15 D11 L11 PTS 56

position 9th 3pts off 6th with a game in hand.

Every point a prisoner from here on in. No team going for 6th is setting the world on fire. Our form over 10 games is no different to those around us. Everyone is losing, winning and drawing. I don't care what anyone says, we are still well in this race for the play-offs.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
But if you read this board we are terrible manager needs replacing ect ect
Personally surprised we are in the same place as last year with problems on and off the field.
Maybe the manager is not so bad hey.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
[MENTION=2608]vulture[/MENTION] [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]

Understand this please.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Beat Middlesbrough, then win our game in hand v Blackburn, and then we'll see what the table looks like.

Unfortunately next up after that is a traditional loss away to Barnsley.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But if you read this board we are terrible manager needs replacing ect ect
Personally surprised we are in the same place as last year with problems on and off the field.
Maybe the manager is not so bad hey.

After what we went through last season and the very very disappointing way the season finished it all seems like ground hog day and none of us can face that all over again. I don't blame people it's a natural reaction to last season

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's not about the table and what could happen but cold reality we can't score...a season long problem. Which whatever gloss you out on it means we ain't going up. I think we all know this. Nothin negative or pessimistic in what I'm saying. Just a hint of reality. Hope won't beat the oppositions keeper. Or test him, this would be a nice development before a goal or two gets scored regularly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
2012-13
match 35 - drew 0-0 Bristol City away
match 36 - lost 0-1 Bolton away
match 37 - lost 1-2 Barnsley away

P37 W14 D14 L9 PTS 56

position 7th 3pts off 6th with a game in hand.

2013-14

P37 W15 D11 L11 PTS 56

position 9th 3pts off 6th with a game in hand.

Every point a prisoner from here on in. No team going for 6th is setting the world on fire. Our form over 10 games is no different to those around us. Everyone is losing, winning and drawing. I don't care what anyone says, we are still well in this race for the play-offs.

Excellent post. All is a long way from being lost.

We can still do it. We may not, but it's very much in our hands.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Beat Middlesbrough, then win our game in hand v Blackburn, and then we'll see what the table looks like.

Unfortunately next up after that is a traditional loss away to Barnsley.

And of course we never beat Middlesboro at home

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We don't need to finish 4th. So what's the point of your post?

I think the point is we were in better shape when we finished 4th than we currently are now. Shots get goals and goals win matches. Not a lot of the first in evidence YoY. And we're clinging onto hopes of finishing 6th rather than comfortably finishing 4th and nearly going up automatically. Those are the key differences I think. Admire optimism. But not when it's misplaced.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is to me, last season we finished 4th from this point and this season we will finish 14th if we're lucky

Don't be so stupid, £10 says we will not be 14th or lower

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the point is we were in better shape when we finished 4th than we currently are now. Shots get goals and goals win matches. Not a lot of the first in evidence YoY. And we're clinging onto hopes of finishing 6th rather than comfortably finishing 4th and nearly going up automatically. Those are the key differences I think. Admire optimism. But not when it's misplaced.

It's not misplaced, I'm a realist. I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram in a hissy fit blaming the manager, David Burke, the coach etc. at the end of the season, because I can see a side that has developed a fantastic backbone which is the cornerstone of developing any team.

Our lack of goals has been mainly down to a disjointed midfield and players you'd hope for 10 goals from are not contributing whether through injury, lack of form, or perhaps tactics at times. What I've been impressed with is Oscar's willingness to experiment with players and tactics, even if it hasn't come off.

I never expected to be 3pts off 6th after 37 games at the start of this season given a new man in the job and a host of injuries and fall out from last season. I'd have snatched your arm off if you'd told me we'd be going into our final 9 games in with a good chance of finishing 6th.

So it's not misplaced at all. What is misplaced is the negativity and writing off of what has been an impressive development of a squad our new manager largely inherited, managing in a new country for him, and an inexperienced manager at that. He's successfully integrating young talent, and galvanising a side around an experienced backbone.

Okay, it is disappointing that we're not scoring more, of course it is, we all want to win handsomely, but feeling we can finish 6th isn't misplaced optimism, it's just reality.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm glad someone has posted this thread. I remember that Barnsley away game on a cold Tuesday night last year and hadn't realised that it was the equivalent stage of the season to tonight.

If you'd have given most fans the option of still being only 3 points off of 6th with a game in hand, they'd have taken that before a ball was kicked tonight. There's still so much to play for this season and out of the remaining 9 games, I'd class 8 of them as winnable - and even Leicester have got to lose at sometime or other.

Ulloa will be back on Saturday, as well as Stephens, who was excellent against Bolton. Plenty to be positive about.

Edit to add: we were dyer in games 34 (not a shot on target in 90 mins) and 37 last year as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here