Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any Hope Left?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tottenham progressing in the Champions League last night was a huge boost. Will there be a slump in their league form? It can so often happen. We can go there with a free hit as our game in hand with no pressure.

I've just got a feeling it'll be a McShane late goal scenario, sparking scenes for everyone of us. :clap:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just brought myself to watch the highlights of the Cardiff match.

We looked pretty good at the start of the game.
Lovely ball from Jahanbaksh to put Glenn through.
Some nice play between Bruno and Jahanbaksh and Gross
How we weren't given a penalty is beyond me.
Maybe not as massive a ref **** up as the Burnley handball, but every bit a nailed on penalty.
Also never a free kick for their second goal.

The ref is probably more responsible for the result as the players were.
The performance in the second half was the poorest I can remember in a long time, but it doesn't look like a team not playing for the manager.

Just very little luck or confidence.
Pretty normal for a team on the run of form we are on.

We're owed a couple of dodgy penalties to make up for the 2 nailed on ones we have been denied lately.
Hopefully we get them both against Wolves and Cardiff get smashed by Liverpool

UTA!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think it was John Cleese in 'Clockwise' who said 'Despair I can live with, it's hope that's killing me', so I prefer to go with despair at the moment; the alternative could prove to be extremely painful....

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
If the players were wound up for a lives-on-the-line, leave it all on the pitch type of performance against wolves and Newcastle I’d have some hope we could get something out of those games. But then I read the interview with Hughton which essentially says “we aren’t very good and so we need to sit even deeper and defend for 90 mins and hope to nick one” and I realise there’s no hope

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We have a squad full of players with zero composure when under pressure.

They have shown nothing to suggest they can handle the pressure of a relegation battle.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I'm struggling to find a specific tangible thing to feel optimistic about, I remember thinking this before the Cardiff game. This is why I feel so desolate now.

In prior similar bleak situations, you might have something like;

"Knocky's in decent form at the moment, he'll find something out of nothing."
"Duffy and Dunk are defending like kings, we could definitely get a clean sheet."
"Murray will score. He does nothing for 80 mins but he'll still get one, he always does."

We have nothing like the above right now. Absolutely nothing. There is no logical, rational reason to believe we will suddenly start playing much, much better than the last few games. We might, I just don't see the reasoning behind believing it.

I think we'll need some ABSURD luck to go our way, like a freakish own goal or a very soft penalty to go our way. That's how it feels.
I think that sums it up for most of us. We are not even competing we are getting hammered and this at fortress amex. last year we got away with it because the sum of the parts far exceeded the offering of the individuals. This year it is the exact opposite. I keep asking myself how did it even cone to this.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Assuming Cardiff lose to Liverpool and Utd, I still think we desperately need either Fulham or Palace to beat them, or preferably both.

If Cardiff win those two games, they'd have 37 points, and I don't think we can match that. Even if we did it might not be enough. With our current 12 better goal difference, the games against Spurs, Arsenal and City could quickly see that disappear. Could do with Liverpool posting a cricket score against Cardiff.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Every terrible run ends at some stage.

There are always shock results in football, otherwise the bookies would not generally win over the punters.

Its got to happen soon though.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Every terrible run ends at some stage.

There are always shock results in football, otherwise the bookies would not generally win over the punters.

Its got to happen soon though.

This is the state of mind I'm going with, as nothing about our current for and play suggests tomorrow will be any different from the last five matches

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I think going to Wolves will actually suit us more. We will probably go with a more defensive mindset and try to shut up shop. We won’t be expected to create too many chances and a 0-0 will be a good result. Playing away from home I think will come as a welcome break to our players, not having to cope with the pressure and anxiety of our home crowd

I’ll have a pint of whatever you’re on.....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Who knows? A dodgy penalty decision to us, or an own goal from the opposition. Football is unpredictable.

Dodgy non-penalty on Tuesday night from what I saw. Had we been given that we might have walked away with 3 points and everyone happy (well not unhappy and no NSC meltdown). I am surprised so little has been said about it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Funny comment on the BBC:

[MENTION=14628]steveb[/MENTION]owercomm: Imagine cruising along the motorway, your fuel light comes on and then suddenly you slow down hoping to reach the services before your vehicle cuts out.

The hope left perfectly summed up.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Dodgy non-penalty on Tuesday night from what I saw. Had we been given that we might have walked away with 3 points and everyone happy (well not unhappy and no NSC meltdown). I am surprised so little has been said about it.

Completely agree with this. If we had been given the pen and scored, then the pressure would have been received. Recall we were quite well on top up to then. We'll never know but there's a good chance we would have won, possibly quite handily. Season saved, not unhappy, no ( well at least less ) calls for CH out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
After the Bournemouth debacle I really thought the players would be fired up for the Cardiff game. I must admit I was looking forward to the match thinking that the team’s pride had taken such a battering that they would be fired up and seeking redemption. As we all know that all fizzled out after twenty minutes. The rest is sorry history.

Calamitous as the situation is, we are still two points clear of Cardiff, with a better goal difference, and, a game in hand. I also admit, again, that immediately after the Cardiff game we wouldn’t score another goal, let alone get another point. I would imagine that feeling applied to most Albion fans.

Time has mellowed my thoughts of doom and gloom, but not by much. Is there any chance that from those five remaining games we will be able to scrape four valuable points - enough, maybe, to save our skins, and enough to keep Cardiff out of the equation?

Hope springs eternal and all that, and in my view that’s all we’ve got left.

I’ve got a bit more hope now. Assuming Cardiff and us can’t get any points off the top six clubs, they’ve got to win one of their two other games and avoid defeat in the final one. That is a tall order. We might even get something out of Newcastle too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here