Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I genuinely fear for what could happen on Saturday.

We were very fortuitous to nick that win back in October and Wolves can now focus on securing the 7th place spot that is likely to see them playing in Europe next year.

View attachment 107856

I'm not..over the years we have a good record against Wolves and this season their best performances have been against the better teams in the league

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"So Chris, we've had one shot on target per game for the last 5 games. What do you plan to do about that?"

"Be more defensive."
I thought you were better than that.

This is exactly what I mean about criticising him over f*ck all. Clearly he wasn't asked that question and he wouldn't have answered in that way if he was.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
CH is absolutely correct if we keep 4 clean sheets until the Man City game we will be safe, or hopefully nick a goal in one of the games, even an OG.

That means getting the ball into or near the opposition penalty area and I am not overly confident of that at the moment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I genuinely fear for what could happen on Saturday.

We were very fortuitous to nick that win back in October and Wolves can now focus on securing the 7th place spot that is likely to see them playing in Europe next year.

View attachment 107856

If we get another pasting then I fear any remaining vestiges of self-respect might leave some of our players. Losing by the odd goal comes with the territory, but if we were to have another 5-0 reversal after the last two games then I think it could be catastrophic.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm disappointed on so many levels. Can you imagine how inspired our squad must be, who hear this day in, day out.
No wonder they all look so lethargic and disinterested with this man in charge.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghh!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I thought you were better than that.

This is exactly what I mean about criticising him over f*ck all. Clearly he wasn't asked that question and he wouldn't have answered in that way if he was.

Perhaps I was being a little harsh but ultimately in the games we have left we will concede, better teams than us would struggle to keep clean sheets against 4 of the 5 teams we're due to play. I just feel he's coming at this from the wrong direction, and I think there is some validity to my thinking on that. If nothing else I do at least hope that the ultra-defensive mindset isn't the one we take into the Newcastle game, it's our only realistic chance of points left this season and a win there could do it, but we need to be all guns blazing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It isn't though imho that our players like Murray or Andone are not capable of scoring, it's Hughtons deep lying defensive 451, where we can't get up the pitch quick enough, or have any real attacking tactics other than, as a former Norwich player said "hope to nick something". It's Hughtons system that is starving service and goals, not the players.

Play a higher line, go 4-4-2 against Newcastle.... But he won't.

You can have a deep lying formation, but you need to be able to break with pace.

We are too slow offensively, that is poor recruitment. I’m not even sure (Gross aside), we currently have a midfielder who can play a decent through ball, so in every respect we’re stuffed.

Basically, just defend properly for 90 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If we're going to criticise Chris Hughon, can we collectively do so by complaining about what is happening on the pitch, let's not find stupid reasons to slaughter him further. He has been absolutely OUTSTANDING for us for 48 months and shithouse for 3. He does not deserve to be criticised over wànky meaningless newspaper interviews.

This.

And even those 3 IMO, can be attributed to lack of quality personnel, when players go off-form.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
CH is absolutely correct if we keep 4 clean sheets until the Man City game we will be safe, or hopefully nick a goal in one of the games, even an OG.
How the hell does that work?

We have 2 points on Cardiff. They have Fulham to play-guaranteed 3 points for every team except us.

We have Wolves, Spurs and Arsenal away. Newcastle at home and they've woken up at the wrong time for us.

Fast forward to last day. We have City who probably need to win. Cardiff have Palace who will be on holiday by then.

Tell us how we will get any more points from our games? Especially with Hughton Out preparing to fail before a f.ucking ball is kicked.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But when you are where we are, every minute that passes is a minute you might have the confidence you will score. Conceding is a hammer blow when your confidence is on the floor. We'll never know, but had we not conceded that first goal Tuesday, perhaps the shots on target would have started to come. We have to give ourselves that chance.

When you're not scoring very many, and it's feeling like you're not going to, once a team scores, it's like going 2 nil down at any other time. We have to give ourselves the chance that 1 goal will be enough to win a game.

Quite, the main change I want to see is in relation to set pieces. Everyone now knows we aim for the back post, literally every time, surely we have other elements too....

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
if he steers us to safety (as he did in his opening 3 months here), ships out the dross (cheerio Locadia, Propper, Ali J, and you're on thin ice too Andone) and we have a quality Watford-esque season because Hughton decides he has the personnel to play more attacking football next season

Hughton and Watford-esque in the same sentence :ohmy:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If we get away with all this and stay up no doubt more and better defenders will be on the shopping list. They are cheaper than good strikers aren’t they? Oh dear.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
How the hell does that work?

We have 2 points on Cardiff. They have Fulham to play-guaranteed 3 points for every team except us.

We have Wolves, Spurs and Arsenal away. Newcastle at home and they've woken up at the wrong time for us.

Fast forward to last day. We have City who probably need to win. Cardiff have Palace who will be on holiday by then.

Tell us how we will get any more points from our games? Especially with Hughton Out preparing to fail before a f.ucking ball is kicked.

No they haven't. They're away at Man Utd.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He's right though isn't he?

If this was happening to anyone else, we would all be saying 'They've got to stop shipping goals' and that is all he has said. We need to start picking up some points to stay in this division and the team that went 1-0 down to Cardiff on Tuesday look totally devoid of any confidence. If they are able to go to Wolves on Saturday and grind out a 0-0, the pressure shifts back to Cardiff and starts to ease on us. It was only 2014/15 when Hughton saved us from relegation from the Championship with virtually no forward line, scraping out points despite scoring only a couple in the last 5-10 games. I know its frustrating, but the Hughton-Out element need to understand that we do not have the players to go toe to toe in a scoring competition with anybody in the last five games. If we are going to scrape out of this it will be by getting back to doing what we have done well in the past: frustrating opponents by defending well. Six of the seven goals we conceded last week were on the counter attack. If we try to force it, we will concede, heads will go down and things will get worse.

There is nothing wrong with fans wanting us to be more attacking, but at this stage of the season, with players who's confidence is on the floor and four of the top seven left to play, it would be suicidal.
We have stopped shipping goals. Opposition goalkeepers may as well bring a deckchair and a beer cooler-they never have to make a save.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
CH is a diplomat. He's never going to do a Jose and slate his own players. However, him saying that you can't expect many goals with the players he has is as near as we've ever been to him saying he hasn't got the attacking quality he needs. For this I'm guessing he's saying Locadia, Ali J and Andone haven't improved the squad as he'd anticipated.

Yoda

English & European
We've shipped 11 goals in the last 4 games and haven't scored.

If our attackers are going to have a dry spell we absolutely have to defend better than we have done. Even if we find our shooting boots, the way we've been defending of late it won't be enough to get anything out of most games.

Completely this, but it would seem some of our so called fans would rather see us lose 3-6 and still go down "As long as we've had a go". :nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
4 draws from now to City will mean that we will be 6 points over Cardiff plus GD so they will need 2 wins probably Fulham and Palace and a draw from either Liverpool or United both unlikely. If we can nick 1 goal they will need 3 wins.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hughton and Watford-esque in the same sentence :ohmy:

* We stayed up in the Championship because the first thing CH did was to tighten up our defence - he recognised we couldn't score for shit. Remember Millwall at home (0-1) under Sami - and they were crap.
* The next two seasons were characterised by bold free scoring play. We scored for fun.
* Last season we stayed up because our defence was superb (Dunk got an England call up) and we scored enough goals. It HAS to be worth pointing out that last season's 2nd and 3rd highest goalscorers (Gross, Jose Iz) have both been out for a large part of this season, and our new recruits up front haven't been good enough. Locadia is a flat track bully and Andone has been crap too - he is living off his Palace worldy and a couple of textbook headers, both unmarked and against by far the poorest side in the league.

These are the facts.

I have faith in CH that he will revert to a more expansive game when the opportunity presents itself, but right now just get us over the line with crappy attritional football. This is what he's done before and I think we'll reap rewards if we keep faith in him. But even if you disagree with me, he deserves a lot better than some of the rubbish in this thread insinuating that he doesn't know what he's doing and is defensive for the sake of it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
There's a fair argument to be made that we lost to Cardiff because we tried too hard to score. We were too open and got caught on the break. I think CH's comments that we need to be tighter because we're not a free scoring team hardly controversial.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If we're going to criticise Chris Hughon, can we collectively do so by complaining about what is happening on the pitch, let's not find stupid reasons to slaughter him further. He has been absolutely OUTSTANDING for us for 48 months and shithouse for 3. He does not deserve to be criticised over wànky meaningless newspaper interviews.

He has been shithouse most of this season, apart from that flukey three wins in a row period. These last three months he has been double shithouse. No goals in five home games (any wonder with his team talks?), 4 shots at home in three games. Then on to his away record-it has been shithouse for TWO seasons. I know, I was at most of them.

Now he comes out with his latest moment of inspiration.

I've had enough of the man and clearly the players have too.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here