Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early when getting stuffed?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Enjoyed reading that - lots that I agree with - but the difficulty for me is that somehow it is untenable for many on here that we might be a bit s**t at this level ! That we haven't been one-off the bottom 3 since the start of the season (or indeed since we were promoted) is as much the story for me. Had we been there for most of the season, would we feel differently right now? one of the reasons for our "success" has been that we haven't had long runs without picking up points in some shape, way or form. Its hard to see that after Saturday, but Saturday was hard to see after Wembley. Cardiff will be a horrible game to watch unless Cardiff implode - similar to Huddersfield but with a niggly home crowd.. This is our level !

There is no excuse for giving up and I think that is what pissed most fans off. Getting beat whilst giving 100% is tough but we accept it. When we really shit and getting well beaten in quite a few games it was tough to take but the fans tended to stay behind the team because we saw they were trying.

After the second went in on Saturday we just stopped even trying imo, unforgiveable and once the third went in I was off

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This has been coming for ages now. Someone else commented and I reckon they might be right, that being 2-0 up away to Fulham and then losing 4-2 was the start of it.

And Fulham have had a terrible season

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I left after the 2nd.

I don't claim to be prescient or anything but I could see it wasn't going to get any better and, in all likelihood, was probably going to get worse.

Something clicked in my head and said "You've paid £40+ to watch this. You've put money over a couple of bars to get oiled and fed. You're down about £75 and you're watching sickeningly well paid people put less than a quarter of a shift in. Go home".

That's what I did. I went home and had some dinner and watched some shit TV and tried to calm down.

It was a waste of time, money and emotion.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Did this happen so much back in the day? Recall getting beat 2-8 and seeing the game out, is it rose tinted or did people not get so upset with defeats back in the 70's/80's era?

Yes my mate left when they went 3 up - what a t**t . Hes a Johnny though .

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

There is no excuse for giving up and I think that is what pissed most fans off. Getting beat whilst giving 100% is tough but we accept it. When we really shit and getting well beaten in quite a few games it was tough to take but the fans tended to stay behind the team because we saw they were trying.

After the second went in on Saturday we just stopped even trying imo, unforgiveable and once the third went in I was off

You gave up too??

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This has been coming for ages now. Someone else commented and I reckon they might be right, that being 2-0 up away to Fulham and then losing 4-2 was the start of it.

I'd be tempted to say being 2-0 up against West Ham and bottling that was a big warning sign too.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Enjoyed reading that - lots that I agree with - but the difficulty for me is that somehow it is untenable for many on here that we might be a bit s**t at this level ! That we haven't been one-off the bottom 3 since the start of the season (or indeed since we were promoted) is as much the story for me. Had we been there for most of the season, would we feel differently right now? one of the reasons for our "success" has been that we haven't had long runs without picking up points in some shape, way or form. Its hard to see that after Saturday, but Saturday was hard to see after Wembley. Cardiff will be a horrible game to watch unless Cardiff implode - similar to Huddersfield but with a niggly home crowd.. This is our level !

Well maybe you are right and maybe we all got a bit complacent with holding that 13th place for quite a few weeks. Those three straight 1-0 wins zoomed us up the table and created a comfort zone. We have had a couple of little rallies ( 5 points over Xmas/New Year and Hudds/Palace ) other than that, its been a slide waiting to happen.
No one was fooled by Hughton's mission statement recently, arguing that progression shouldn't be measured by position or points. He had clearly worked out that we were going to fall short on both counts this season. Apparently, the players were still learning and trying to adjust to life in the PL but he believed they were learning. Does that apply to him and his team as well?
( and yes....Cardiff will be ugly. CH will set up not to lose so put your money on 0-0 and wear incontinence pants )

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Stayed to the bitter end. No one around me in the part of the ESU I sit in. Didn't clap the team off though, watched Ryan walk the pitch (what looked like) apologizing and then hand his shirt to someone in the north then I left and got on with my weekend.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am being tongue in cheek - but it wasn't going your way and you decided to stop. I don't believe that sportsmen and women work all week to simply "give up" because they can't be bothered. I do understand that during a game, especially a big one when you have high hopes that you just want the game to end - you become angry, frustrated, tired, embarrassed and simply nothing works. These things do happen. Even if you disagree and think some players gave up, consciously, willingly, then there were one or two that probably didn't? Dunk, Bernardo, Ryan, Duffy? They deserved a little support at the end of the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here