Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Maris Piper Spuds

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
All leg pulling etc aside, I am in agreement with BG here, all spuds seem to be inferior this year, I have family in Ireland who bring back their version of Red Rooster spuds and when roasting they soak all the oil like a sponge. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent tasting potato for roast/mash etc? Please.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've allways found the most consistent potato's are tinned? Guaranteed rubbish every time?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I'd have a go with King Edwards to be honest. If you have any kind of frost protection, you can plant King Edwards in September (I think) and they should be ready for christmas dinner. They would have to be planted in tubs and have frost protection.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Planted my late cropping spuds this morning (majestic)
First year of having an allotment so a bit of a novice but I asked the question yesterday and the bloke that runs our allotment is very knowledgeable.
I said King Edward and he said no! the slugs love them, waxy spuds are far better.
Desiree are very good and usually disease and slug free.
Best to research which spuds are best for growing directly in the ground as an amateur.

Jul 7, 2003
You should try growing Vivaldi spuds - best tasting spuds for roasties.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
When i worked at 'Miami Dolphins' fish and chip shop (Between The Belvedere and Fortune of War) we split between either Maris Piper or Maris Baird as the potato of choice. Not sure of any difference in season/taste/roasting ability, but i can say the rats liked both of them..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is why I asked. Have you heard of any disease this year affecting Maris Piper.

No real major diseases but it was a very hot and dry for a long period of the summer and that might well have affected them, don't get hung up on varieties of spuds being singled out to be affected, soil conditions and climate will affect whatever variety is grown. There is no jungle telegraph updating plotholders on what variety are doing better than others. It might have been a bad for whatever spud that farmer had planted.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
On the subject of potatoes, does anyone know where the variety Bintje can be bought (for eating not growing) ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bet [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] is loving this thread :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thought BG would get a roasting on this ..still good to see the thread isn't boiling over ....still he wouldn't mind, BG isn't the type to have a chip on his shoulder

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
One for the allotment owners. For years wife has used Maris Piper potatoes for roast potatoes but recently she has found them to be of poor quality irrespective of where she buys them from so has had to resort to King Edward or Red Desiree to roast. Has anybody else found this and do Maris Piper suffer from some disease this year?
As critical as this topic is in our battle to survive relegation from the Premier League, my answer is “no”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here