Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Jenkinson's, 1980s bar

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
I remember serving coffee to one of the managers. Turned out there was a cockroach buried in the sugar bowl. He wasn’t happy.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Saw New Order there in 1981.

Someone tweeted about that gig, which was the reason for the post! Any memories of the night?
20190323_215602.jpg

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I remember seeing Gerry and the Pacemakers and Jim Davidson at Jenkinsons. Screaming Lord Sutch at the Top Rank was memorable and so too George Macrae - though his 20 minute rendition of “Rock yer Baby” tested the patience of even his greatest fans.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
For me, the best gig at Jenkinsons was The Gladiators and Top Rank was Dennis Brown. We supported pretty much every reggae band that came to Brighton. For reggae I think I was seriously lucky to witness the good times. Top Rank was also the first time I went on the mic for the sound. Great memories for me. The best non reggae was a motown night with pure Motown superstars. Supreme's, Four Tops, Temptations and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas if memory serves correct

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Did you go to that? I was just too young, I started going out in Brighton in 1982 (under age), and had to wait to see New Order at Portsmouth Guildhall.

No, sadly not. First saw New Order in 1984.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Most of these concerts were after my time at Jenkinson’s. Compere in the 70’s was Bobby Samson. You had a basket meal while watching Jim Davidson in his “Nick Nick” days

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They were a bit crap tbh. Still finding their way post JD. Bernard's 'singing' was abysmal. Love them and JD to bits tho and their live performances improved massively over the years but they were a bit raw back then.

By 1994 they were amazing. We went to see them at Portsmouth Guildhall, apparently they mention that gig in their autobios.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just reading the thread again and cursing my memory, I've already posted seeing Dead Kennedys and Tenpole Tudor.
After seeing your list I remember seeing Killing Joke and Ruts DC.
I wasn't bothered about Echo and The Bunnymen back then, but I like them now.
Theatre of Hate, brilliant band, saw them in Brighton but I don't think I saw them in Jenkinsons.

I'm sure you are correct, I was never into U2.

I was at many of the same gigs as you and [MENTION=13923]carlzeiss[/MENTION]

I find that both comforting and disturbing in equal measure :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here