Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UPDATED: Dale Stephens SIGNS 3.5 Year Deal

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One characteristic of Stephens in the early days was his runs into the opposition box. Latterly any of our midfield were seldom seen there. What I am hoping for under GP is that midfield get into the box and get the opportunity to score.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All our midfielders need to be strong defensively, the days when any of them can't are long gone as any good manager will exploit the weakness. If you are right in your assessment of Propper and Bissouma, they won't play - but I don't think you are

Really? I rate Propper but he does not get stuck in and is probably slower than Stephens and nowhere near as good defensively. Bissouma and Propper together will see us being overrun in midfield when teams attack. You surprise me that you think these two could go toe to toe with any teams midfield other than a relegation rival.

As you say though, we will see.

Really? I rate Propper but he does not get stuck in and is probably slower than Stephens and nowhere near as good defensively. Bissouma and Propper together will see us being overrun in midfield when teams attack. You surprise me that you think these two could go toe to toe with any teams midfield other than a relegation rival.

As you say though, we will see.

Lol Propper slower than Stephens? I don't these are accurate perceptions of Biss and Propper, simply because they don't litter the pitch with late and clumsy fouls.

If Biss has a problem it's more that he overplays in danger areas

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One characteristic of Stephens in the early days was his runs into the opposition box. Latterly any of our midfield were seldom seen there. What I am hoping for under GP is that midfield get into the box and get the opportunity to score.

He couldn't when the rest of the team were sitting so deep, so he was limited when players weren't available for a pass. I agree with you, and hope the same thing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
, so he was limited when players weren't available for a pass.

A major criticism of our forwards has been lack of movement. Glenn we will forgive. There was some on the right in the Bruno/Knockaert days - but typically none on the left. March is typically on his heels rather than spinning his defender and demanding the ball. Again - that is another thing to hope for under GP.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough but we definitely need a midfielder who is strong on the ball and aware of his defensive duties when required. Propper and Bissouma do not fit the bill. It doesn’t mean we need a Ron Harris or a Jimmy Case as regrettably they would be sent off every game in the modern era.

This. Even ManC always play a deep lying CM who can tackle/close down for 90 minutes, and face up to teams trying to rough them up. Stephens is the obvious Albion player who does just that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I prefer to listen to the professionals, especially Inigo Calderon, who couldn't understand why the fans voted for any other player than Stephens, for Player of the Season. He said the fans just couldn't see what the team sees.

.... some fans, who desperately look out for any Stephens mistake in a match.

Whilst most of us will always appreciate any Albion DM quietly doing the unglamorous work for the midfield.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
.... some fans, who desperately look out for any Stephens mistake in a match.

Whilst most of us will always appreciate any Albion DM quietly doing the unglamorous work for the midfield.

I'm so glad we've had a small move of seats for this season.
For the last 2 we have sat directly in front of Stephens & Bong's biggest and loudest critic.

Some other poor bugger will have to put up with "forward Stephens" & "why can't you defend", bellowed a 100 times every game.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We wouldn't be in the PL without Dale and he deserves so much more respect. He's no world beater at this level but you'll see him play better this season than the last two because he will have more than one person in front of him to pass to! Think we'll need to aim for better in the long term but he's important to us at the moment and the sideways passing thing is a result of the way we have been playing and people not being in a forward position to receive the ball. Our possession stats would be the worst if it wasn't for DS!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Who will be our midfield “enforcer” this season, apart from Mooy I can’t see that we have anyone who can fill that role. You are not saying we won’t need one are you?

I keep seeing posts that Stephens isn’t good enough but no suggestions as to who should replace him. He is an excellent lower PL midfielder imo and we are lower PL.

Agreed. Of course we all know he's probably going to end up as a squad player if we progress and become the top half team TB is targeting. But we're not there yet - and, overall, Stephens brings more to our midfield than anyone else.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm so glad we've had a small move of seats for this season.
For the last 2 we have sat directly in front of Stephens & Bong's biggest and loudest critic.

Some other poor bugger will have to put up with "forward Stephens" & "why can't you defend", bellowed a 100 times every game.

In the NS last season (when buying individual tickets in different locations), I often sat within verbal diarrhoea distance of Propper/Stephens haters. Clearly looking for any mistake from the off, seizing upon any transgression: “There, I told you, Propper’s a :wanker:”. Interchangeable with the name Stephens.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yeah.One game!

Another example, another key point

“GOAL! Brighton 1-1 Newcastle (Gross 75)

It had been coming. Just a near-12-hour wait. But when it came, it was so simple. Stephens sprayed a fine diagonal pass to Bruno, who crossed from the right. Murray jumped above Schar on the penalty spot to win a flick-on header. Dubravka hesitated, and Gross nipped in between to head past him!”

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
In fact, if he played a key pass in the Knockaert goal at Palace and the Gross one at Newcastle, isn’t that a creative contribution at the start and end of the goal drought. Maybe your fingers should be pointing elsewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here