Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 148th Open Championship - Royal Portrush

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tommy Fleetwood leading the home charge with an excellent round of -4, joint leader with Holmes and the current leader in the clubhouse on -7 :clap2:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
This track certainly needs the wind to protect it as it's been a bit of a birdiefest Today so far. Fifty players under par at the moment although some rain is due there soonish and that may bring in more wind too so the later starters will have problems.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Tommy Fleetwood leading the home charge with an excellent round of -4, joint leader with Holmes and the current leader in the clubhouse on -7 :clap2:

Fleetwood and Westwood together tomorrow would be a great (and alliterative) pairing to watch …..

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
For the sake of the coverage, I hope he doesn't make it.

So pleased Woods has gone, if he was in contention it would have been unbearable.
I would have liked Rory to have at least made the cut on this occasion.
Building up to a fabulous last 2 days, my money is on Rose.
All these birdies does not seem right in an open though, but there has been some fantastic putting.
The Open used to be won with a score of +2 to -2.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
The links courses rely on the wind and scoring at St Andrews, for example, is pretty much always low with -15 in 2010 and 2015 with -14 in 2005. -8 won last year at Carnasty, these players just hit the ball too far for the links courses to have a defence, other than the weather.

I still like Koepke for this. He's played within himself all week, made few mistakes but hasn't really got the putter going. If the putter works Today he will be slcing through those in front of him. Last group off at 3:50 which is very late, I presume we are pandering to yank TV. They usually go out no later than 3:30 on the Saturday.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The links courses rely on the wind and scoring at St Andrews, for example, is pretty much always low with -15 in 2010 and 2015 with -14 in 2005. -8 won last year at Carnasty, these players just hit the ball too far for the links courses to have a defence, other than the weather.

I still like Koepke for this. He's played within himself all week, made few mistakes but hasn't really got the putter going. If the putter works Today he will be slcing through those in front of him. Last group off at 3:50 which is very late, I presume we are pandering to yank TV. They usually go out no later than 3:30 on the Saturday.

As a golfer myself I agree about the weather but you can't rely on it and it becomes too easy for those guys if the wind doesn't blow.
Shows how good they are though because even without the wind these courses are very difficult and the greens are extremely tricky, it's golf like they never usually play, yet most rip them up without wind.
It can go the other way though, I remember when it was held at Sandwich many years ago and the players could not stand up and the balls were blown off the green.
Regarding St Andrews, it's held there because it's the home of golf, I think it is too easy for today's golfers with or without the wind.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, St Andrews is too easy unless the wind howls across the cross. Having played it in March, not off the championship tees, its suffice to say I didn't find it quite so easy:eek:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Still all to play for with 27 holes left. If Kopeke can get his putter going he will be a lot lot closer. Tomorrows forecast is getting worse and worse so it will be a survival of the fittest and luckiest:eek:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Unbelievable golf from Lowry today, be different tomorrow though. He had a four shot lead in the 2016 US Open and shot 6 over so it’s not over yet.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
39a74911cff7a9c3fcae0b1e76351497.jpg

Still in the running for this, Fowler always seems to handle UK links courses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
39a74911cff7a9c3fcae0b1e76351497.jpg

Still in the running for this, Fowler always seems to handle UK links courses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Still fancy Ricky to give it a go. Especially if the weather turns.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've got exactly the same bet on. No aftertiming! Lol.

Edit - actually I only got him at 35s at the start but still.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, St Andrews is too easy unless the wind howls across the cross. Having played it in March, not off the championship tees, its suffice to say I didn't find it quite so easy:eek:

I did not mean that I would find it easy, quite the opposite in fact.
But I do think that St Andrews is too easy for today's pro golfers.
Great from Lowry today and although the wind picked up a bit and changed direction, to be -16 after 3 days is embarrassing for the R&A.
The Open is supposed to be a very difficult test, even without the wind, it's been a birdie fest this week.
Very interesting day coming up tomorrow though.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Will be interesting to see whether Lowry can handle the pressure tomorrow. Remember having a few quid on him from the start of the US Open a few years back. He went into the last day something like three shots clear and he tanked. Dustin Johnson landing his maiden major that time. We shall see.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I did not mean that I would find it easy, quite the opposite in fact.
But I do think that St Andrews is too easy for today's pro golfers.
Great from Lowry today and although the wind picked up a bit and changed direction, to be -16 after 3 days is embarrassing for the R&A.
The Open is supposed to be a very difficult test, even without the wind, it's been a birdie fest this week.
Very interesting day coming up tomorrow though.

So embarrassing that they have moved all the tee times forward tomorrow to avoid the worst of the weather?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here