Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Respect the bloke but couldn’t agree with the negative away tactics when changing was hardly going to cost us loads of points that style had won.

However, may regret wanting him out now I see the shit sandwich be prepared for us all to enjoy next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't see why anyone is surprised or disbelieving that CH was surprised.

Yes - he will well have known that the last six months had gone poorly, but it seems he obviously had not been given any warning by TB that his job was at risk, and what with the 'togetherness' approach of the club as a whole, you can see him turning up the day after the City game and seeing TB and expecting to be sitting down and discussing 'now then, it's been pretty poor, how are we all going to pull together and get our way out of this?'. Finding out that the discussion was actually 'you're for the chop' would quite clearly have shocked him.

Yes, some here on NSC could have been moaning about CH, but put yourself in his shoes. You're going through a tough time at work, but if your employer / boss has given you no warning at all that your job is on the line, and you have met the targets you were set - then wouldn't you be rather shocked if you were sacked without notice?

Well summed up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems a bit naive from Chris to have no inkling that he might lose his job after the way we played, and the results from the 2nd half of the season.

I wasn’t completely surprised he ultimately lost his job but I can’t say I saw it coming so soon. I was quite surprised Bloom acted so quickly.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On the subject of fake news;

We were a good team at any stage last season.
Sorry, there's opinions and there's rubbish. After beating Palace at the Amex (in what the BBC called "one of the best Premier League performances of the season " we were 10th. How did we do this without being good at any point?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This......he won’t see getting Potter in as a gamble, but a carefully calculated decision, with a degree if risk he’s prepared to take. Most business decisions have some risk, the route he’s decided to take presumably, in his mind, perhaps having less than ‘sticking’. I wouldn’t call [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] fat though, that’s plain rude [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'm pleasantly rotund.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I wasn’t completely surprised he ultimately lost his job but I can’t say I saw it coming so soon. I was quite surprised Bloom acted so quickly.

If you feel you have made your decision (which I am guessing Bloom had before the city game) then what does waiting achieve? Surely that just heightens the surprise. With players and managers on holiday you need every day you can get if you are taking a change in direction

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oddly I don't see TB as a gambler.

Well, in the strict sense of the word he absolutely is. A professional poker player with a betting company is a gambler. However, he is one that doesn't like to lose. Bookies are gamblers but you don't see many poor ones.

To me that has connotations of risk and I see Mr Bloom as far to methodical for risk.

There's risk in everything. He does reduce risk wherever possible and it is a totally methodical approach.

He has one of those 'numbers' brains and he uses it to its full potential, which in my mind is how he ends up in your scenario.

No gamble, no risk, no heart on sleeve just a simple (for him) process of look at the numbers and do what they tell him.

Yes, I agree 100% with you here. We're saying the same thing differently. Chris wasn't working "in the numbers" and every model played through would have seen us doing a very similar thing again next season. I thnk that was the tipping point.

Making all the more amusing that a bunch of fat middle aged men with barely 2 pennies to rub together are second guessing him, or worse still insistent that he's wrong.

I'll show you my Strava if you show me yours :glare:

Sorry for "doing a Triggaar" on you but I had to show where you were right and where you were wrong :moo:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Oddly I don't see TB as a gambler.
To me that has connotations of risk and I see Mr Bloom as far to methodical for risk.
He has one of those 'numbers' brains and he uses it to its full potential, which in my mind is how he ends up in your scenario.

No gamble, no risk, no heart on sleeve just a simple (for him) process of look at the numbers and do what they tell him.

Making all the more amusing that a bunch of fat middle aged men with barely 2 pennies to rub together are second guessing him, or worse still insistent that he's wrong.

He was wrong with Hyppia.
Just because he is richer (and slimmer!) than me does not mean he gets everything right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was wrong with Hyppia.
Just because he is richer (and slimmer!) than me does not mean he gets everything right.

And was wrong in holding onto him for too long.
A mistake TB clearly had no intention of making again.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tony Bloom is my good guy. He has dragged my fav team from the deepest darkest shite to where we are now. And im sorry (for you) but he is no1 in my option. Not all the in between jobs managers (yes some have been nice guys) who often leave with a handsome payoff.

I'm as grateful as anyone for what Tony Bloom has done for our club but need to point out it was someone else who pulled the club from 'the deepest darkest shite' - Bloom then continued the job.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sacking CH might have been an even bigger mistake.........

Might not have been either, perhaps he’d have off-loaded some of the failures and got some new ones in.

Perhaps we’d have done better this year.

At the minute, and rightly so, Potter wants to see what he has at his disposal before making drastic decisions.

All perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don’t you judge each situation individually?

If Potter has a bad run, do you think he’ll go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to learn lessons along the way!

I think you'll find that should be 'when' Potter has a bad run.
If it was a bad run playing an aging championship side with players out of position then yes he'll be off too.

Admittedly I would be going soon after as it would seem it's easier to herd cats than getting a manger to work within the framework of the club. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here