Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Alex Scott is brilliant, knows what she's talking about. As said previously, some male pundits are awful as well e.g. Merson, Ince, Sutton etc. Being female makes no difference. Unbelievably sexist views on here, its 2019 ffs.

I am also of the view that women shouldn't be given the punditry/commentary jobs because they're women but because they are good at the job.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

She's a female Jamie Redknapp. Scott, like Redknapp has never said anything that's made me think 'Thats a good point' or an angle that makes me think differently about what I've seen. Nice to look at with bland and inoffensive comments the pair of them.

Gary Neville is brilliant. Danny Murphy can provide some good insight - us v spurs on MOTD a prime example - and Liam Rosenior has been excellent when I've seen him but Scott brilliant? Nah, average for me Jeff.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
There's sexism in others sports too. My missus hates it when men commentate or contribute to the netball when it's on. Comments like 'he's never even played the game' come up regularly. I usually disappear into the other room when it's on.

Probably because boys and men don't have the same advantage of being encouraged or able to play said game as it wouldn't be deemed helping the politically correct agenda quota`s .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’d much rather no commentary or analysis and more time showing the football myself. I’ve got eyes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't have a problem with women commentators and presenters on mens footy. I do have a problem with them being pundits. The girl on Sky seems to do every game now and it does my fat manly tits in. It isn't about knowledge or anything, it is because she is a woman.
Personally I want the pundits to understand the game, and give decent opinion on it. If they can do that, I don't see how it matters whether they're male or female.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally I want the pundits to understand the game, and give decent opinion on it. If they can do that, I don't see how it matters whether they're male or female.

I can only refer to the below as it is much more eloquently put then I can manage.

Ageing white male here prepared to be dismissed as a sexist dinosaur.

Alex Scott is okay on football basics that are common to the men's and women's game - although I wonder if she'd be on quite so much if she was less, er, telegenic - and some male pundits are utterly useless. Agreed.

But if I want pundits and analysts at all, then I want pundits who have played the game at the level that is being broadcast, who have been there and can give insight into what the players are experiencing and what their motivations might be. I wouldn't be as interested in hearing a League Two defender's opinions on Manchester United v Liverpool as I am Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville. When watching international football. I'm interested in their opinions and those of, say, Slaven Bilic, who has played and coached in international football. I'm less interested in what Alex Scott has to say because she has played a slower, less physical version of the same sport.

By all means have her on panels, but let's just be honest as to why she's there - to give credibility to women's football and so that the TV companies can point to her presence as giving gender balance. Just as having Trevor Sinclair analysing women's World Cup games was an attempt to make their coverage appear more serious because it had a proper ex-Premier League player there. Which I found unnecessary and patronising because I thought the games were quite entertaining and absorbing enough on their own merits.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For what it's worth. I rarely watch women's football. Not because it's women playing, but because so much of the goalkeeping is too comedic for me to take it seriously.
It didn't go down well when I mentioned this to the women's team at uni 30 years ago, but it seems nothing has changed. Would making the goals a little smaller help?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Alex Scott is okay on football basics that are common to the men's and women's game - although I wonder if she'd be on quite so much if she was less, er, telegenic - and some male pundits are utterly useless. Agreed.

But if I want pundits and analysts at all, then I want pundits who have played the game at the level that is being broadcast, who have been there and can give insight into what the players are experiencing and what their motivations might be. I wouldn't be as interested in hearing a League Two defender's opinions on Manchester United v Liverpool as I am Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville. When watching international football. I'm interested in their opinions and those of, say, Slaven Bilic, who has played and coached in international football. I'm less interested in what Alex Scott has to say because she has played a slower, less physical version of the same sport.
Generally, on average, I expect you're right that players who have played at the level of game they're watching will have a better insight into the game. But there will of course be exceptions. You also need to take into account that the game now is not the same as it was 20 years ago - sometimes what used to be a fair challenge, is now a yellow card. So are you going to extend your logic to say that pundits must have been playing at the level within the last 5 years?

Your logic would also suggest that all the best managers will have succeeded at the top level, but we know that's not the case. Often a less talented player is better at getting the most from his players.

The idea that female pundits can't gain good knowledge of how the men's game is currently played is ridiculous.

By all means have her on panels, but let's just be honest as to why she's there - to give credibility to women's football and so that the TV companies can point to her presence as giving gender balance.
Sure, I don't disagree with that, but you've got to start somewhere, and I don't see why we can never have very good female pundits.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sure, I don't disagree with that, but you've got to start somewhere, and I don't see why we can never have very good female pundits.

And I was suggesting that this Alex is not very good. When I ran Angmering FC in the 90s I had a pre season 'footy day'. It included bringing to the club for a game Brighton & HA Ladies v Hassocks Ladies, I wanted to promote the women's game. But I can have an opinion without being sexist or racist. I just can't listen to that woman telling me the bleedin obvious.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And I was suggesting that this Alex is not very good. When I ran Angmering FC in the 90s I had a pre season 'footy day'. It included bringing to the club for a game Brighton & HA Ladies v Hassocks Ladies, I wanted to promote the women's game. But I can have an opinion without being sexist or racist. I just can't listen to that woman telling me the bleedin obvious.

So your problem is with a specific female pundit or any female pundit?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So your problem is with a specific female pundit or any female pundit?

I guess her in particular, but it is only done because Sky/BBC want to show they are being gender neutral. Political correctness and all that.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I don't have a problem with women commentators and presenters on mens footy. I do have a problem with them being pundits. The girl on Sky seems to do every game now and it does my fat manly tits in. It isn't about knowledge or anything, it is because she is a woman. By all means pundit womens footy but not mens. The little line beneath her will say won 8 million medals with Arsenal between 2002 and 2004 or whatever, because basically they were one of the only team playing at the time. There is a limit to this gender aligning in sport. I get so bored of listening to a woman punditaring the mens footy I sometimes wish to have Jimmy Hill back.

Alex Scott is great. I dont mind women presenters or pundits, but I cant stand their commentary. The one who does MOTD sometimes is unbearable, something about their high pitch screeching does not work imo.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Alex Scott is great. I dont mind women presenters or pundits, but I cant stand their commentary. The one who does MOTD sometimes is unbearable, something about their high pitch screeching does not work imo.

What is great about Alex that I seem to be missing?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
What is great about Alex that I seem to be missing?

She talks sense, has knowledge of the game, is confident and doesn't just agree with the old guard like Souness, I like it when she disagrees at times and give her own opinion. She does good interviews prematch too and she is happy go lucky person, which is also a positive when we often get moody b@stards like Souness on there.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
She talks sense, has knowledge of the game, is confident and doesn't just agree with the old guard like Souness, I like it when she disagrees at times and give her own opinion. She does good interviews prematch too and she is happy go lucky person, which is also a positive when we often get moody b@stards like Souness on there.

But she just states the bleedin obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here