Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ben White

No. Used to be in the corner where the yellow seats are but now in upper tier in the opposite corner, out of shot.

Last time I went there (promotion season) sure we were in the lower corner.................had a few beers mind you so......:shrug:

43bdbbfbda8682b222136c0caac4ff32.jpg

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yep - total contrast with Derby fans talking about Clarke, Millwall re Molumby etc.

As well Ben not going to Leeds, they've wasted half the transfer window, bumped his price up enormously and probably ruled out the chances of us ever loaning them a player again. Well played you clueless goons :lol::lol:

They won't need any loans from us in future. Leeds are going to sign a local village team and Bielsa will turn them into Champions League winners (assuming he signs his contract of course)

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
Good old Sussex by the sea
Still unsure what 1st choice Defence will look like to fit in White. Which I think is key for him to stay.

Lamptey
White
Dunk
Webster
Burn
Veltman
New LB

Even if we take out unfortunate Burn, to fit in White, that would mean Lamptey, or Veltman not playing. Unless Lamptey moves higher up pitch and Veltman play right back. But, that's still a back 5, what does that mean for midfield?

Do we go 5-4-1, with Lallana acting like a deeper number 10?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Add Clarke to the mix, nobody has said he won’t be in the first team squad, another player who showed his worth in the championship and could maybe step up with better players around him. Duffy is surplus under Potter, but there are too many variables to even guess who’d be first choice. Pre-season might give some kind of clue, Potter will have his own ideas and will give everyone a fair chance to prove themselves. Few would’ve expected Connolly or Alzate to be in last season’s senior squad.

Hope it’s not the case, but there’s some wiggle room for Veltman to slot into central defence if Dunk leaves. The Ben White talk is really starting to hack me off, clogging up newsnow headlines. Leeds have done us a favour if Liverpool or Chelsea are willing to pay over the odds though. White’s style of play is perfect for potterball, no wonder the club aren’t entertaining bids from Leeds. Leeds are definitely one of my favourites for relegation and some of their fans totally deserve it. Ben is ours so **** off you northern *****!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another wonderfully insightful piece from the Leeds journo....no wonder the fans cling to false hope......

https://motleedsnews.com/news/phil-...es-max-price-he-thinks-leeds-united-will-pay/

Particularly this bit................. 'There are a lot of moving parts to the White deal at the moment. Brighton want him to sign a new contract that would see him stay at the Amex at least for the next season'

Hey Phil - if he doesn't sign a new contract, he'll still be on his existing one :shrug:

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
They won't need any loans from us in future. Leeds are going to sign a local village team and Bielsa will turn them into Champions League winners (assuming he signs his contract of course)

Time for Leeds as a club to show a bit of class, if that’s possible. “Thank you very much Brighton and Hove Albion and Ben White for giving us this opportunity to play in the Premier League, we couldn’t have done it without you”. Let’s face it, without White, they wouldn’t have been anywhere near automatic promotion and would’ve bottled the play-offs as usual if they’d even got that far.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That to me is just common sense. The simplest scenario (in terms of seeing where he'd slot in) IS to stay at Leeds - he played every minute last season. There are more variables for him slotting in at Brighton - that's just completely logical. Note that he says "harder" rather than "hard to see".

It doesn't mean he can't or won't fit into our system, it just means it's easier to see it happening at Leeds because it's a continuation of where he left off (very successfully) last season - with the caveat of incoming players (if they manage to sign any :lolol:) changing things slightly.

I'd be looking forward to seeing Ben White in the stripes even without all this hoo-ha, but now I really can't wait :)

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear. It wasn't just comparing how he'd fit in at Brighton and Leeds but also Liverpool and Chelsea. Although the journo did concede that "with Potter in charge, Brighton will likely be able to adapt to get the benefits of playing White."

The point I didn't quite agree with was the lack of involvement from our current CBs. As I said, only 9 players in the league play more passes than Dunk.

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
Another wonderfully insightful piece from the Leeds journo....no wonder the fans cling to false hope......

https://motleedsnews.com/news/phil-...es-max-price-he-thinks-leeds-united-will-pay/

Particularly this bit................. 'There are a lot of moving parts to the White deal at the moment. Brighton want him to sign a new contract that would see him stay at the Amex at least for the next season'

Hey Phil - if he doesn't sign a new contract, he'll still be on his existing one :shrug:

Nice one..new contract at £30k+ a week and maybe include a release clause, or stay at the club for 3 years (2+1year option I believe) on a reported £8k a week. The choice is yours Ben.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It has likely been mentioned before but while I have no doubt Bielsa's coaching will have been good for Ben White's development it must stick in the craw a little for the recruitment team at Leeds who presumably were responsible for taking him on loan that ALL the credit seems to have been bestowed upon the manager. No doubt they liked what they saw when Ben played in Newport's 2-1 win over Leeds in the cup 5 months before Bielsa was appointed. Michael Flynn's comments about Ben as a future England international hardly support the notion that he was nothing before Bielsa got his hands on him either, nor do the ringing endorsements of the player from the second he arrived up there which seem to have been forgotten.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Still unsure what 1st choice Defence will look like to fit in White. Which I think is key for him to stay.

Lamptey
White
Dunk
Webster
Burn
Veltman
New LB

Even if we take out unfortunate Burn, to fit in White, that would mean Lamptey, or Veltman not playing. Unless Lamptey moves higher up pitch and Veltman play right back. But, that's still a back 5, what does that mean for midfield?

Add Clarke to the mix, nobody has said he won’t be in the first team squad, another player who showed his worth in the championship and could maybe step up with better players around him. Duffy is surplus under Potter, but there are too many variables to even guess who’d be first choice. Pre-season might give some kind of clue, Potter will have his own ideas and will give everyone a fair chance to prove themselves. Few would’ve expected Connolly or Alzate to be in last season’s senior squad.

Hope it’s not the case, but there’s some wiggle room for Veltman to slot into central defence if Dunk leaves. The Ben White talk is really starting to hack me off, clogging up newsnow headlines. Leeds have done us a favour if Liverpool or Chelsea are willing to pay over the odds though. White’s style of play is perfect for potterball, no wonder the club aren’t entertaining bids from Leeds. Leeds are definitely one of my favourites for relegation and some of their fans totally deserve it. Ben is ours so **** off you northern *****!

Bielsas favoured system (which ensures greater numbers in each part of pitch when done right) is 3-3-3-1 back 3, midfield 3 (inc 1 holding DM), 2 WB + AM behind 1 striker. Also has a diamond in mf. Our prob would be who to leave out. It looks something like below (couldn't fit Alzate, Mooy, Connelly, Alexis, veltman in!)

............................... Ryan ..............................
........... Webster..... Dunk ...... Burn ...............
.............................. White ................................
................ Biss ...................... Stephens ........
Lamptey............... Lallana ........................ LWB
............................. Maupay ...............................

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It has likely been mentioned before but while I have no doubt Bielsa's coaching will have been good for Ben White's development it must stick in the craw a little for the recruitment team at Leeds who presumably were responsible for taking him on loan that ALL the credit seems to have been bestowed upon the manager. No doubt they liked what they saw when Ben played in Newport's 2-1 win over Leeds in the cup 5 months before Bielsa was appointed. Michael Flynn's comments about Ben as a future England international hardly support the notion that he was nothing before Bielsa got his hands on him either, nor do the ringing endorsements of the player from the second he arrived up there which seem to have been forgotten.

Of course, that is patently obvious to everyone who lives in the real world. Unfortunately many Leeds fans don't occupy that world, they live in a deluded bubble full of their own make believe fantasies.

The North Korea of English football.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I mentioned this bloke Phil Hay on the Athletic renewal thread. Seems to make stuff up and make basic errors in his articles on a regular basis. No better than those they have at the tabloids. The article you have linked makes the point nicely as Ben’s actual contract length seems to have passed him by.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

They completely knew the situation when they signed him though so there is no reason it should stick in the craw. They knew we had refused to include an option to buy. So they would have known that, if he had a good season, it would either massively increase his transfer fee or mean he is definitely not available.

They also were confident he was good enough that they brought him in as a direct replacement for Pontus Jansson so they definitely knew he was a very good player (as we did).

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
They completely knew the situation when they signed him though so there is no reason it should stick in the craw. They knew we had refused to include an option to buy. So they would have known that, if he had a good season, it would either massively increase his transfer fee or mean he is definitely not available.

They also were confident he was good enough that they brought him in as a direct replacement for Pontus Jansson so they definitely knew he was a very good player (as we did).

You have misunderstood my post.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Lamptey
White
Dunk
Webster
Burn
Veltman
New LB

Don’t forget Leo Ostigard back from loan at St Pauli although he has suggested he wants to move on if not in the first team picture.
Perhaps Leeds would like to buy him for the sort of knock down price they can afford?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Lamptey
White
Dunk
Webster
Burn
Veltman
New LB

Um,

Potter doesn’t do “this is my first 11 mate”.

He’s not that kind of manager...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I was merely suggesting there's no reason any of this should 'stick in the craw' of the Leeds recruitment team (not the rest of the post)

I respectfully disagree. They deserve credit in identifying BW as a player that would be a useful addition on loan. The idea that they picked up a nobody and Bielsa turned him into a real player is simply false.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Of course, that is patently obvious to everyone who lives in the real world. Unfortunately many Leeds fans don't occupy that world, they live in a deluded bubble full of their own make believe fantasies.

The North Korea of English football.

I seriously hope they aren't anything like NK - if they have a nuclear weapon their supporters are mad enough to drop it on us if White doesn't go there

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Irritating for Leeds:

Brighton defender Ben White has been urged to join Liverpool over Leeds.

The centre-half's former coach Michael Flynn has said White should be looking to sign for the Premier League champions after being linked with a move to both clubs.

“I’d love to see him at Liverpool. I know Pep Lijnders, the assistant, he’s an unbelievable coach," he told TalkSport2 as cited here.

“So I know he will help Ben improve. He’s got to do what’s best for Ben White. That could be getting a season in the Premier League with regular games at Brighton, which I think he could do.

“Graham Potter might want to keep him and bring him on and then sell him for more money after a year in the Premier League.

“That’s a decision for Ben, but for biased reasons, I’d be edging him towards Liverpool."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here