Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Amber Rudd used the word “coloured”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a confusing world we live in, what with all this hoo-haa about coloured etc. and then having to learn all the terminology and abbreviations that go with the LGBT community, I reckon I shall have to sign up to an evening or online course to ensure I am up to speed with it all.

No more confusing than learning someone's name.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you are not sure how to refer to someone , just don't say anything. It's pretty simple. How many times do you really need to refer to someone's gender, race or sexuality? Hardly ever.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If you are not sure how to refer to someone , just don't say anything. It's pretty simple. How many times do you really need to refer to someone's gender, race or sexuality? Hardly ever.

Are you grumpy or something?
It is not only about referring to someone's gender, race or sexuality. It is about understanding the whole subject .

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Indeed. I think it's clear why it's offensive from the explanation I quoted above (repeated here):

"It is offensive because it implies that a person’s ‘colour’, or skin tone, is something that has been added to them. For example, a strawberry is just red, but red velvet cake has been coloured red (that’s why it’s more exciting than a Victoria sponge). A person who is not white has not coloured their skin. We shouldn’t use the term coloured in the same way we wouldn’t refer to a white person as bleached (gross)."

Someone has just made that up. If you asked 1000 black people why they dislike the term "coloured" I'd be astounded of any one else gave that answer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you're in public office, that's definitely a good idea.

I've been on a training course on unconscious bias. In the present regard I think the bottom line was 'avoid the temptation to knowingly give avoidable offence'.

'Coloured' instantly became offensive when people started putting up signs saying 'no colourds' in the 50s. But....I guess it can be easy to forget, especially if you rarely interact with BAME folk (can't see Mrs Rudd spending too much time eating goat curry at Mama Putt's).

If I started making reference to the ethnicity (or gender) of the students I teach, I'd soon be in a pickle. Frankly I never have a need to make reference to either. Nor do my students. But there agein we are a 'top 6' uni and our students are generally rather middle class....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone has just made that up. If you asked 1000 black people why they dislike the term "coloured" I'd be astounded of any one else gave that answer.

Quite. The real reason is in my post above.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are you grumpy or something?
It is not only about referring to someone's gender, race or sexuality. It is about understanding the whole subject .

Grumpy? Not in the slightest. I just don't see what you're having a hard time understanding?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Yes, because the race of someone we're addressing is not usually the important bit. In your example we'd say 'No, not the woman with the jacket, the woman with the glasses next to her', rather than say what race they are.
If you don't feel the need to mention their race, why would you mention their sex and/or gender? Why is that important? Why not say, "the person with the jacket"?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
different shades of brown may be more appropriate?

As already quoted previously in this thread, "different shades of brown" contains a minefield within a minefield... It's called Colourism.

To quote : Colourism is a form of discrimination against dark-skinned people in favour of those with lighter skin from the same race.

Will Smith sparked controversy for wanting to play Venus and Serena Williams' Father in a new biopic because he simply wasn't dark skinned enough - although he is indeed black. It just seems he's not black enough...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47468011

So, it doesn't matter that Will Smith is a multi-award winning black actor - he's just not black black.

Confusing?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you don't feel the need to mention their race, why would you mention their sex and/or gender? Why is that important? Why not say, "the person with the jacket"?

Really ? We're now at the stage where we cannot say "the man in the jacket" or "the woman in the jacket" for fear of offending someone ??

Somebody stop the planet. I want to get off.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
My wife finds it strange that our Chris is described as a black manager as he is not actually black. Is she right?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
What a fuss about nothing, used the 'wrong' word and quickly apologised. As for Dianne Abbot how can she bleat about what was said after her 'whites like to divide and rule' comment?
She's an embarrassment, she's shadow Home Sec purely because of Labours commitment to diversity and quota's. Watching her getting skewered on Sky news by Dermot Murnaghan in June 2017 sums it all up. A low calibre woman hopelessly out of her depth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here