Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What are you eating on World Vegan Day?

Oct 25, 2003
Is it a co incidence that people are claiming to be eating large amounts of meat today or are a large % of you bullshitting “to prove a point”/ attempting to be funny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
“The Greatest Threat to Our Planet Is the Belief That Someone Else Will Save It”

The recent report from the UN stating that the goals the world set to combat climate change are inadequate, and the track we're on is disastrous, terrifies me. The sad truth is that we are running out of time to to prevent temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees C. That doesn't sound like much, but even 1.5 degrees of warming will cause catastrophic effects, including more intense storms, searing heat waves, mass extinctions, and droughts, not the mention the complete destruction of the Great Barrier Reef. If we hit 2 degrees of warming, the effects will be even worse.

It's still possible to prevent the world from warming more than 1.5 C, the authors of the report said. To do that, we'd have to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2030 compared to what they were in 2010. Then by 2050, we'd have to reduce emissions to zero.

Doing that would require an immediate, massive, coordinated transformation of the way we live our lives. "What can I do?" I hear you cry. "I'm only one person, nothing I do makes a difference". Well fear not. There is something you can do. Go veggie or, even better still, go vegan.

Raising animals to eat produces more greenhouse gasses (via methane and nitrous oxide) than all of the carbon dioxide excreted by automobiles, boats, planes and trains in the world combined. Quitting, or simply reducing, your consumption of meat can reduce your carbon footprint significantly.

Or you know, post pictures of steak to show how cool you are...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is it a co incidence that people are claiming to be eating large amounts of meat today or are a large % of you bullshitting “to prove a point”/ attempting to be funny?

I doubt there's a day gone by in my entire adult life when I haven't eaten meat of somesort or other. As Homer once said....

tenor.gif

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

If you don’t mind me saying, you have a very suspicious mind.

Why would you believe that we are not posting the truth on this most auspicious of websites?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Interesting that you mention Quorn. We find them infuriating as hardly any of their products are vegan (a lot of them contain eggs or dairy). I imagine this will change as time goes on.

Their southern fried chicken burgers are, in fairness, pretty good

Please next time, select the 'Hot and Spicy Burgers'. Much, much nicer (and lower fat, if you care), than the SFC ones. :thumbsup:

Also, 'Sweet and Smokey Goujons'. Pretty decent also.

(I'm not a veggie, but my wife is, so well versed in the supermarket 'Free from' aisle...)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

It’s funny, the same people who moan about vegans being preachy and smug and the same kind of people who post pictures of steaks or over-compensate on world vegan day by eating lots of meat (or at least claiming to). I don’t think they understand irony very much.

Oct 25, 2003
Please next time, select the 'Hot and Spicy Burgers'. Much, much nicer (and lower fat, if you care), than the SFC ones. :thumbsup:

Also, 'Sweet and Smokey Goujons'. Pretty decent also.

(I'm not a veggie, but my wife is, so well versed in the supermarket 'Free from' aisle...)

Yes sorry they’re the ones I meant- they’re great (the coating is at least)

Oct 25, 2003
It’s funny, the same people who moan about vegans being preachy and smug and the same kind of people who post pictures of steaks or over-compensate on world vegan day by eating lots of meat (or at least claiming to). I don’t think they understand irony very much.

Yes you’re quite right. My wife has never mentions her veganism to anyone but is often bombarded with questions about it “why don’t you eat this/what’s wrong with eating that” etc and/or people overly aggressively eating meat in front of her

It’s an odd mindset to mock/criticise someone who is at least attempting to improve the world we live in

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Yes you’re quite right. My wife has never mentions her veganism to anyone but is often bombarded with questions about it “why don’t you eat this/what’s wrong with eating that” etc and/or people overly aggressively eating meat in front of her

It’s an odd mindset to mock/criticise someone who is at least attempting to improve the world we live in

Definitely. It’s the same reason I never mention my own veganism because a lot of my friends (sadly the male ones) are always trying to be clever and order the rarest of rare steaks when we go out. When they asked me why I was vegan I just told them for ethical reasons and that alone was enough to label me as a preachy vegan. And whilst it was done in jest (in their minds at least) is does make me more unwilling to discuss it with my wider friendship group or on here.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Today is World Vegan Day. I'm going to have jacket potato with vegan sausage and chilli beans, how about you?

I didn’t realise earlier that it was World Vegan day, so, I don’t know if I’ll be able to manage a whole vegan. I may just have a small portion of Vegans liver with some flava beans and a good Chianti, however, if I’m still peckish later, I have a nice hock of smoked Vegan in my fridge that I may have with some pickle or tomato chutney and crusty bread.
I do find that a Vegan doesn’t seem to satisfy me as much as an omnivore person, it must be something to do with their diet.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If others want to be vegan, then fair enough.

I will never be a vegan - and tonight is a beef stew. It’s in the crockpot waiting for the rest of my meat eating family.

Think what our green and pleasant would look like if we were all serious vegans. No cows in the fields, no piggeries, no little lambsies. Farmers wouldn’t keep them as a tourist attraction.

No chickens roaming around...
9BD2E10A-2186-4753-AA9E-CB02A94F42A0.jpeg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No chickens roaming around...
View attachment 101773

Hence why people should only buy free range eggs. I don't buy eggs as my very happy rescued battery hens lay loads. Yet a vegan wouldn't eat those eggs ... weird .... what else am I meant to do with the eggs they lay ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hence why people should only buy free range eggs. I don't buy eggs as my very happy rescued battery hens lay loads. Yet a vegan wouldn't eat those eggs ... weird .... what else am I meant to do with the eggs they lay ?

Their choice. I usually only enjoy organic, biodynamic, free range eggs but would be happy to try yours.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Being a bit antsy about someone else’s diet, is a bit like being offended by someone else’s sexuality, it really doesn’t matter to me, and, tbh, it’s none of my business what anyone puts in their mouth in either instance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Definitely. It’s the same reason I never mention my own veganism because a lot of my friends (sadly the male ones) are always trying to be clever and order the rarest of rare steaks when we go out. When they asked me why I was vegan I just told them for ethical reasons and that alone was enough to label me as a preachy vegan. And whilst it was done in jest (in their minds at least) is does make me more unwilling to discuss it with my wider friendship group or on here.

Yet I have two vegans on my Facebook feed and barely a day goes by without a picture of their plant based dinner accompanied by some trite comment about saving the workd and a whole bunch of hashtags

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here