Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Super Cup tonight. Female referee

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
She's qualified so why not?

Why not indeed. Haven't yet seen a women's game officiated entirely by men but I would hope to do so soon....in the interests of fairness and equality, of course.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why isn't this on BBC1

Because not everyone likes football, and even out of those that do not all are interested in a trophy that is on par with the Community Shield. Having it on a sports subscription channel is exactly the right place for it. (I'm assuming it is on BT or Sky or whatever).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it had bee Murray, he would have been booked.

Poor by the Asst Ref, but VAR particularly.

The ref surely could not have made an absolute judgement from her angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the ref had overruled the VAR decision (VAR is mandatory now in a pen situation - it was not called by the ref) there would have been an outcry. The fact that the VAR decision was probably wrong is a different matter. If the rules allow for a pen if there is a tiny touch then it was a pen. Since MOTD and R5 pundits have been arguing 'that was/was never a pen' since the year dot, I can only assume that this remains a grey area - whether it 'was' a pen or not after a small touch can be decided only by subjective criteria, and as we all know, managers tell their players to go down if there is the slightest touch. There was a touch so the player can argue he wasn't cheating. If anyone disagrees it is a matter of opinion only because there was a touch.

Again, this has nothing to do with the referee, and it has nothing to do with VAR. It has all to do with the laws, their clarity and the scope for 'judgement' (i.e. guesswork, whether by the ref or VAR) in their implementation.

Edited for clarity and spelling

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ref was excellent.

And I really don't get any outcry over the penalty. Adrian himself in his pitch-side interview afterwards admitted as much "yeah, I tried to stop, but I couldn't, and did catch him"

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The ref was excellent.

And I really don't get any outcry over the penalty. Adrian himself in his pitch-side interview afterwards admitted as much "yeah, I tried to stop, but I couldn't, and did catch him"

You conveniently didn't add the part where he said that Abraham was looking for it.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I find it hard to believe that UEFA could tell BT or anyone how to edit replays. The pen was soft, sure, but it was a VAR call. There was a tiny touch and if them's the rules so be it. Had it been Muzza we'd have snapped VAR's hand off. And nobody would be talking about the gender of the ref. Few complaints from Liverpool, either....:shrug:
UEFA are the host broadcaster, much like the Premier League are for matches broadcast overseas when Sky and BT are not covering them.

UEFA even use the same company as the Premier League, NEP UK, to handle the logistics of filming when a final is staged in the UK.

I agree, there did seem to be a deliberate toning down of scrutiny on contentious decisions, but that's fine in this instance, as there seems to be plenty of people with an agenda, looking to criticise what is essentially a progressive step forward.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The ref was excellent.

I wonder if he might have argued differently if he hadn’t made the match winning save and Liverpool had lost

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And he found it.....so it's a pen.

Because it is immaterial, to the point - of whether the officials got it right. They did.

It was a pen as it was given. Doesn't mean they got it right. Zaha 'finds' pens all the time, half the time he, like Abraham, looks for an opportunity and dives to 'win' a penalty. I'm pretty sure if VAR was involved with us and Zaha in a similar situation then you'd be incandescent with VAR's choice. For the record, although I disagree with the ref, she was pretty good and that decision was very difficult.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If the ref had overruled the VAR decision (VAR is mandatory now in a pen situation - it was not called by the ref) there would have been an outcry. The fact that the VAR decision was probably wrong is a different matter. If the rules allow for a pen if there is a tiny touch then it was a pen. Since MOTD and R5 pundits have been arguing 'that was/was never a pen' since the year dot, I can only assume that this remains a grey area - whether it 'was' a pen or not after a small touch can be decided only by subjective criteria, and as we all know, managers tell their players to go down if there is the slightest touch. There was a touch so the player can argue he wasn't cheating. If anyone disagrees it is a matter of opinion only because there was a touch.

Again, this has nothing to do with the referee, and it has nothing to do with VAR. It has all to do with the laws, their clarity and the scope for 'judgement' (i.e. guesswork, whether by the ref or VAR) in their implementation.

Edited for clarity and spelling

Can you explain why the Everton player was banned for diving vs Palace despite there being a clear touch?

I suggested the Asst should have helped, the ref from her angle has made an assumption rather than a clear decision in my view.

But the mere fact that the referee has felt that the slightest touch (if there indeed was one), has impeded the player, IMO demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge. As above we will never know what the match official saw or thought they saw, because they don’t do interviews.

Fortunately justice was done.

They all did ok other than that, but surely that’s where they need support from the technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here