Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old Bury

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Listening to 5 Live on the way home and they are reporting the story. Just mentioned that a Brighton fan has messaged in via Twitter asking why they were covering a regional story on a national radio station. If true that **** has a very short memory. I hope they get Jamie'd quite honestly.

I heard that and wondered if it was a Palarse fan in disguise. Surely no Albion fan could make such a crass comment?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Whilst I do have plenty of sympathy with the Bury fans and their plight, is there not an argument that Bury assembled a squad of players which they could not really afford (not necessarily through transfer fees, but they still have to be paid), got promoted last season, and are only now paying the price ? Meanwhile the clubs who paid their bills but could not afford the squad which Bury won promotion with are still languishing down in League Two, but are at least still fulfilling all their fixtures.

Some of the Colchester fans I know are certainly feeling this way as they narrowly missed out on the playoffs (whilst on the other hand still remaining sympathetic to Bury fans to some extent).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They are supposed to play Sheffield Wed tonight in the league cup. As the game is not going ahead do Massive get a buy into the next round, or is the match postponed and potentially pushing back the round dates?

That aside they have until next Friday to prove they have the funds else will be expelled from the league.
You'd have thought 15% of the gate receipts of their dream draw against Massive Wednesday would have been enough to clear their debts 45 times over.

15% of ten quid a ticket, times a gate of, what, 78,000 or so - surely that's what we're talking here?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some of the Colchester fans I know are certainly feeling this way as they narrowly missed out on the playoffs (whilst on the other hand still remaining sympathetic to Bury fans to some extent).

I can certainly understand that. Its not totally unlike a Pompey or Palace situation, albeit on a far smaller scale as its happened in the lower leagues as opposed to the upper echelons. I lifted this from a special report currently on the Mails sport website:

"It is a story of financial mismanagement dating back to previous owner Stewart Day, whose constant borrowing makes the list of creditors look like a shopping receipt. Key players are believed to have been earning close to £10,000 a week — an exorbitant amount for a League One club.

When Sheffield United signed Leon Clarke from Bury in 2016 they could not match the striker's Gigg Lane wages and had to add another year on to his contract.

Jermaine Pennant, Ishmael Miller and Chris Brown, all with Premier League pedigree, arrived that same season and played 10 games between them. Brown never played for the club.

The money lavished by Day was unsustainable for a Manchester satellite club who, on average, attract fewer than 4,000 home fans. His open discussion of plans to build a new 20,000-seat stadium is painful in hindsight. This grand talk and gargantuan wage structure was juxtaposed with discussions over scrapping the club's matchday programme."

My company actually worked with Bury FC in 2017, billing them about £8,500 to place a Director there. It soon became apparent that they were in financial dire straights though. They did actually pay in the end, but all in dribs and drabs over the course of about 6 months until it was cleared.

They've been a total shambles for years now, so whilst I can understand the calls for Premier League clubs to help bail clubs like Bury out, given the multi-millions that exist at the top of the pyramid, its hard to marry that up with the rank incompetence of the owners who recklessly put clubs like Bury in this position in the first place.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
According to the report in the post right above yours, it’s not at all down to just him?

But it's Dale that has refused accept an offer put to him and effectively meaning the club will be kicked out the EFL.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But it's Dale that has refused accept an offer put to him and effectively meaning the club will be kicked out the EFL.

Brinkmanship. Also, seems bit like blaming the fireman for not stopping the arsonists fire.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Brinkmanship. Also, seems bit like blaming the fireman for not stopping the arsonists fire.

I might be wrong but to me as an outsider Dale looks very Archer like .... but without the eye patch.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I might be wrong but to me as an outsider Dale looks very Archer like .... but without the eye patch.

More of a Stanley, nobody is anywhere near Archer. The Sauron of Soccer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I missed this on TalkSPORT the other day, not sure if anyone else heard it. But a Bury player (Dawson) and the owner Steve Dale had a RIGHT old ding-dong, live on air. Here's the transcript. Amazing stuff.

STEPHEN DAWSON (Bury midfielder)

Listen, chairman. Let's cut to the chase. You haven't bothered to pay us in months.

You've constantly lied to everyone. You've not shown facts to the EFL. You haven't shown that you've got the money to sustain this club.

For months you've kept quiet. You've sacked good people at the club. You've not paid anyone in months.

I'm on the verge of losing everything. I've had to listen to what you've had to say for months.

You can try to say you've saved the club. Get your money and leave the club. Or otherwise, this club is no more.

STEVEN DALE (Bury owner)

Ask Mr Dawson: did he receive, from the beginning, 50 per cent of his wages?

DAWSON

Excuse me, 50 per cent from who? We've had to...

DALE

Have the PFA paid you, up to the CVA, 50 per cent of your wages? Yes or no?

DAWSON

They paid us two months' wages.

DALE

No, they paid you four months.

DAWSON

Steve, I'm not going to row.

DALE

Just answer: yes or no.

DAWSON

We've received two months off the PFA, which is a loan. You have paid me once in six months. I do not lie.

DALE

Let's get to the chase here. The PFA paid, on my request, that I would repay the money to them, which we've agreed. It's been agreed and signed. (You've had) 50 per cent of your wages every month since the catastrophe started.

Is that right or is that wrong?

DAWSON

Lies.

DALE

Sorry?

DAWSON

Lies.

He's got no money.

DALE

There's no requirement to throw money at them (today). It's been agreed in the CVA to take all the players and we've agreed with the PFA to completely pay the players up within the CVA. That has been dealt with.

DAWSON

(exasperated grown) It's lies.

DALE (addressing host Jim White)

Jim, you arrange for me to meet Simon Jordan and I'll give him all the proof to back up what I'm saying. I'm not getting into slanging matches.

JIM WHITE

Is it not true that Simon Jordan asked you to show him your evidence of proof of funds and you've still to do that?

DAWSON

He can't do it.

DALE

Look, you've got a man on the line who's just like the people online who just keep saying the same stuff over and over.

WHITE

Give the players and fans some hope here. You're still the owner.

DALE

I'm fully aware of that. By saving the club from bankruptcy from Stewart Day's era, all I've got is stick.

I tell you something, it's no wonder chairmen walk away from clubs.

MARTIN KEOWN

Steve, can I just ask. I'm just looking for a solution now. Is it not in the best interests if you step aside?

Do you own the land the ground sits on? Are you holding onto that for any reason? Are you hoping this club dies a death so you can sweep up and sell the land?

DALE

What a stupid remark. Can you hear yourself? Oh yeah, there really is (a financial benefit) - making a fortune out of it!

WHITE

Stephen Dawson has come on, he's a desperate man struggling to feed his family.

DALE

Do you truly believe that remark? That Mr Dawson is struggling to feed his family and getting thrown out of his house.

WHITE

I believe he's in financial crisis.

DALE

Everything with you guys is blow it to the maximum. Mr Dawson is not going to get thrown out of his house.

He can feed his family.

DAWSON

That sums up everything. It sums up the man and human being he is. How does he know that I'm not getting kicked out?

DALE

They are allegations by you.

DAWSON

If I lose my job next week then my house is gone. Simple. He's just told lies for six months.

He doesn't pay anyone. If he has the chance to sell I'm begging him.

DALE

Ask Mr Dawson, was he paid last month in full by me. Since the CVA, have I paid you every month?

DAWSON

Lies. And I can prove it.

DALE

No, I said to you: since the CVA, have you been paid every month by me?

DAWSON

No.

DALE

The club will not close. Fact. I'm the one who's not sleeping, trying to save it from a catastrophe.

Well let's just watch this space and I'll prove it.

I'll get Jill Neville to send you a letter: she's paid that man every month since the CVA.

A lot of people will eat their words when this is sorted.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here