Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are your savings kept?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have a massive glass bottle that I put 20p's and under in, whenever I remember. Looking forward to taking it to the bank and making that almighty racket that 2 stone of shrapnel makes when it's tipped into a metal coin sorter.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Ok Cheers, sorry i could not help you i am still looking for the best place myself.

Property in Rotherham is something i was going to look at as supposedly there is a big regeneration going on. (according to someone i spoke to yesterday)

Have you looked at that sort of thing?

Invest in clothing, good mark ups on shirts

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spread of funds, some low risk, some higher plus some 'safe' cash earning virtually no interest..............enjoying the huge post-Brexit spike in values of the funds.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Check the small print if you DO
My flat was £56k in the 90s and he wants the same price because he's just missed the deadline by a bit.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I want the best for my kids, so I'm thinking of ensuring they're not educated enough to get to uni. They don't need that much debt.

Very true.

I only want them to go to uni if it is actually worth it. Such as a doctor or something that needs that education. I went to uni and left after two years. What a total waste of time and £12,000 debt. The course (Geography) was a waste of time, the first year spent recapping GCSE and ALevel to ensure 'everyone was at the right level'

I want to support them if they go for it and, if not, they will have something to help out with a house or such.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
So I have some of my money in p2p lending with Funding Circle and so far I am relatively happy with them, getting solid returns of about 7.2% at the moment, I am thinking about putting some more money in to one of their rivals that do more first charge secured lending as I think this is a safer option.

The rest of my money is currently sitting in a savings account earning a real interest rate of bugger all and soon to be negative if interest rates do go up as a result of a falling pound...

So where do you park your money? What sort of returns are you getting? How secure is it?

Why did you start that paragraph with the word SO? seems to be the in thing at the moment and it irritates the f**k out of me. Rant over..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
MoneyThing and Savingstream is what I was leaning towards and maybe Assetz. I might stick some in Zopa as I like the idea of the reserve buffer they have.

I've found MONEYTHING better than SAVINSTREAM customer service wise and they offer different types of security ...SS just do property
Do you follow this website? I find it a useful source of info and the companies post there too.

http://p2pindependentforum.com/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've got all mine in stocks/shares ISAs with The Share Centre. 13% gain since April

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very true.

I only want them to go to uni if it is actually worth it. Such as a doctor or something that needs that education. I went to uni and left after two years. What a total waste of time and £12,000 debt. The course (Geography) was a waste of time, the first year spent recapping GCSE and ALevel to ensure 'everyone was at the right level'

I want to support them if they go for it and, if not, they will have something to help out with a house or such.

Agree entirely with this - we get a lot of graduate recruits who have degrees that are essentially useless in our business, and I'm far from convinced that the 'growing up' they're supposed to have done for three years was much use either, but they have £40k+ of debt. My eldest is at uni for 'free' (nursing - so career path after is very clear) so will be debt-free, but youngest has just taken on his first-year £12k or so of debt for a qualification that may or may not lead anywhere. Maybe I'm biased as I never went to Uni though.......

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
All my savings go into Premium Bonds and a stocks-and-shares ISA.

Have had 13 wins (of £25 or £50 each) on my Premium Bonds since July :blush:, so a much better rate of return than any savings account at the moment

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So I have some of my money in p2p lending with Funding Circle and so far I am relatively happy with them, getting solid returns of about 7.2% at the moment, I am thinking about putting some more money in to one of their rivals that do more first charge secured lending as I think this is a safer option.

The rest of my money is currently sitting in a savings account earning a real interest rate of bugger all and soon to be negative if interest rates do go up as a result of a falling pound...

So where do you park your money? What sort of returns are you getting? How secure is it?

Surely [MENTION=27450]KingstonSeagull[/MENTION], you mean to say you don't use the Bank of Bentalls, all those riches, especially the Krispy Kreme outlet :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All my savings go into Premium Bonds and a stocks-and-shares ISA.

Have had 13 wins (of £25 or £50 each) on my Premium Bonds since July :blush:, so a much better rate of return than any savings account at the moment

I use Premium Bonds, get a nice little win most months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here