Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Bird identification

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Last week, between Newhaven & Beddingham, we saw a large bird of prey hovering. My first thought was a buzzard but the wing span seemed larger.
I've since found out that 6 white tailed Eagles have been released on the IOW, & one of them, Culver, made his way to Essex, and back to the island, having been tracked via satellite. They've all been ringed and have transmitters. He was definitely tracked over Polegate, so now I'm wondering if it was him we saw.
White tailed Eagles are being reintroduced into southern England.

Are you sure it wasn't a red kyte? They are increasingly spreading into Sussex. Bigger than a buzzard and have a distinctive forked tail.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Are you sure it wasn't a red kyte? They are increasingly spreading into Sussex. Bigger than a buzzard and have a distinctive forked tail.

I wondered about that, as the description of the flight (low to the ground and sitting into wind) sounds much more like a kite. But she also said the wing tip feathers were spread out like fingers, which made me think definitely buzzard. Also kites are smaller/slighter than buzzards?

Buzzards are suprisingly big when you see them up close!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, it definitely wasn't a red kite. I can identify them easily, as you say, from the tail. We have friends who live near Abingdon who have red kites flying over every day.
This bird was almost twice that wingspan.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
People Google LENS is your friend for stuff like this.

https://lens.google.com/#!#download

If you use google photos you may already have it installed, the icon looks like this.
View attachment 115311

It uses artificial Intelligence to highlight the area of focus in the photo and then compare it to known images and their descriptions. For identifying plants and animals it is really useful. It identifies this as a pheasant by the way.

I was impressed with that. But it told me that the photo I have of Moorhens is actually mountain quail.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I wondered about that, as the description of the flight (low to the ground and sitting into wind) sounds much more like a kite. But she also said the wing tip feathers were spread out like fingers, which made me think definitely buzzard. Also kites are smaller/slighter than buzzards?

Buzzards are suprisingly big when you see them up close!

Fair do's. Kytes are a bit bigger than buzzards though.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
No, it definitely wasn't a red kite. I can identify them easily, as you say, from the tail. We have friends who live near Abingdon who have red kites flying over every day.
This bird was almost twice that wingspan.

That'd make it bigger than a Golden Eagle and Andean Condor! What are they putting in the Sussex bird seed these days?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I hadn't realised that, they always seemed smaller to me! But you are right, bigger wingspan and slightly heavier weight.
NSC is all about learning.

Right lets go over this one more time. This buzzard is small, that kite is far away. Small...far away.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I saw a lovely little dipper sat on a rock in the (river) Grwyne Fawr today. Made my day.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here