Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How does the 25 man Squad work then?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That pretty much it. One non-HGP has to not be included in the PL squad (they could in theory hang about and just play cup games - Sidwell was in this position Jan to June last season, had he regained fitness). Expect one out to a Championship loan, or abroad, though. The three you list seem the likeliest candidates. And that is assuming Towell is well out of the reckoning too.

Regards HGP, we do have Norwood who we could name, but he’d be about 6th choice in his position, so would seem a little pointless. Guess we’ll name 24. Possibly White will cover until Burn arrives in January, he wouldn’t be named in the 25 due to age.

Only a free agent and only if we get Towell, Norwood, Normann and the injured Ahannach ( loan to USG to recover ? ) off the books.

We can’t bring anyone in on loan, there is no loan window for Premier League clubs. We could bring in a free agent but they’d have to be home grown and that’s only if Norwood is loaned out as gaps in the squad can only be filled by free agents if there are no eligible players already registered with the club (I am also assuming there are no dev squad players who are home grown and are now over 21).

I think Hughton is naming it today.

If 24 only named, a free agent can be added later, subject to criteria for including one being met.

As [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] has been correctly pointing out in recent days, Ben Barclay doesn't qualify as an U-21 player this season. He would also have to be loaned out to enable Hughton to name only a 24-man squad (although the early closing of the permanent window, while the outgoing loan window remains open, now makes things tricky - what if you plan to loan (say Barclay) out, but a deal doesn't get done; would you have to re-submit the squad with him in it? :shrug:).

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I think Hughton is naming it today.

If 24 only named, a free agent can be added later, subject to criteria for including one being met.

Hughton said in the Fans Forum yesterday that he intended to name the full 25. I don't know who the additional HGP would be, but I presume its Norwood.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] has been correctly pointing out in recent days, Ben Barclay doesn't qualify as an U-21 player this season. He would also have to be loaned out to enable Hughton to name only a 24-man squad (although the early closing of the permanent window, while the outgoing loan window remains open, now makes things tricky - what if you plan to loan (say Barclay) out, but a deal doesn't get done; would you have to re-submit the squad with him in it? :shrug:).
Interesting. I guess he'll be nominated in the squad until January, and then go out on loan.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Norwood would take the HGP slot, and then Hemed, Suttner or Schelotto will be dropped from the 25 man squad. Unless one of the new recruits has an injury that we don't know about. My guess would be Suttner to miss out.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
CH said he will name the full 25 today so thats one NON HGP to leave out and one HGP extra to include .....

possible outs would be Suttner , Schelotto or even Hemed as a loan may already be agreed in principle

possible HGP inclusions could be Norwood although I think unlikely , same for Towell , so my guess is Ben White until January

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Is there a deadline time do you know?
Hughton said we would find out this morning at fan forum unless I heard wrong.

Greyhound posted a cryptic '????' on his insta stories yesterday. Surely they wouldn't screw him last minute? My thought was that Suttner would be left out.

Should be fascinating

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Schelotto out and a 24 man squad I'd have thought.

My Sheff U supporting mate is thinking they might be in for Norwood

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Schelotto out and a 24 man squad I'd have thought.

My Sheff U supporting mate is thinking they might be in for Norwood

Hewoughton made it clear he’s naming a FULL 25 man squad .

Maybe White will get his chance as 4th CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Why is Ben Barclay being mentioned?

Im no expert but i dont think you can name a 24 man squad and put in a 25th player at a future date whom is a free agent IF you have players in your existing squad that meet the criteria. In this case, a HGP whom is on the payroll.

To that end, Towell, Norwood and Barclay would need to be shipped out as they would be named as the 25th man unless they can be loaned out as they aren't young enough for the lower age group categories.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I reckon Suttner will miss out #NotITK

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hewoughton made it clear he’s naming a FULL 25 man squad .

Maybe White will get his chance as 4th CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't hear the interview but I assumed he wasn't being specific just that he was naming the squad. I thought White was u21 so we'd still technically have 24 ???

Will be interesting to see, but there aren't too many permutations

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I didn't hear the interview but I assumed he wasn't being specific just that he was naming the squad. I thought White was u21 so we'd still technically have 24 ???

Will be interesting to see, but there aren't too many permutations

He was clear, he said he would be naming a 25 man squad

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Naming 24 would enable us to bring in someone on loan.

I'd be shocked if Hemed went, particularly with Locadia and Andone carrying knocks at the moment

You also just can't name a smaller squad and leave players out. If you have 25 or more (over age) players, you have to name 25.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
You also just can't name a smaller squad and leave players out. If you have 25 or more (over age) players, you have to name 25.

Not sure f you have to name them, but it does mean you can't fill a slot with someone who isn't currently on our books. In theory we can name just 17 players in our 25 man squad, all from 'overseas'. We wouldn't then be able to add to this as we do have players on our books who could be named. You can leave blanks on the 25 squad list is what I am trying to say.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here