Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And I think it never would have if his apologies had been a bit more sincere. I think it is less the mistake and more the fact that he didn't seem to accept that he had genuinely upset some people and dismissed the criticism of him to a certain extent eg "my turn in the barrel". Sure, there is an element the Twitter mob but there are also some people genuinely shocked, partly because there is an undercurrent of racism in much of the comment about the mother.

Only if you’re looking for it and have been brainwashed by 50 years of the hysterical liberal racists that have forced a multi cultural agenda upon us meaning that today, even when fictional characters that are mixed race are killed off there’s a faux outrage backlash that it’s racist. Good grief. Even baa baa black sheep’s been banned. What about when there’s heavy rain expected? What colour do we describe night as? And can someone please send me the memo because I’d hate to upset someone unintentionally. Of course if I did it MUST BE intentional, as DB is finding out...

What a ****ed up society we have.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And people who are constantly offended and deem what he tweeted as worthy of criticism, that equals you.

You're post above makes little sense but I think I get the gist. I can only repeat what I've said all through this thread;

I'm not in the least bit offended by his tweet. I think it was ill thought through but an apology should have been the end of the matter.
Some other people think differently and are offended.
Thay have the right to be, you need to accept that and not berate them.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I like Danny Baker, he's one of the good guys. He has a bit of an arrogant streak to him though and sometimes seems unable to see how others might not think he is brilliantly amusing.

I don't think for a second he posted it as a racist gag but I'm amazed he didn't think putting up a picture of a ****ing monkey as the child of a woman of mixed race might be taken the wrong way.

I may have missed a sincere apology? All I saw was him on twitter digging in and saying people who couldn't see his point of view had diseased minds?

Anyone else who follow him remember when he made a joke about Glen Hoddle's commentary being boring and used that horrific picture of an American couple overdosed in the front seat of their car with the child in the back? The child had been cropped out but pretty ****ing tasteless.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You're post above makes little sense but I think I get the gist. I can only repeat what I've said all through this thread;

I'm not in the least bit offended by his tweet. I think it was ill thought through but an apology should have been the end of the matter.
Some other people think differently and are offended.
Thay have the right to be, you need to accept that and not berate them.

As an attempt of weaselling out of looking like a complete loser, that was crap. Why not berate/ criticise? It is exactly what you do to someone who doesn’t agree with you. Think your boss has got your number about right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I imagine most of us have a sense of humour that wouldn't always be taken in the right context if made public.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
The image is odd and disconcerting. So is the fact that a newly born baby is 7th in line to have dominion over us all by virtue of his blood line. That is the connection I see between the event and the image. I may be in the minority here but the poll suggests otherwise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an attempt of weaselling out of looking like a complete loser, that was crap. Why not berate/ criticise? It is exactly what you do to someone who doesn’t agree with you. Think your boss has got your number about right.

I'm not sure what has got you so on the attack this morning but it's rather unpleasant and not really called for. I think I'll disengage from you, you have a bad vibe about you.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm not sure what has got you so on the attack this morning but it's rather unpleasant and not really called for. I think I'll disengage from you, you have a bad vibe about you.

You ask for it, and run off when it comes on. You have history. :wave::flounce:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
From Danny Baker today.

Good morning, everyone.

Following one of the worst days of my life I just want to formally apologise for the outrage I caused and explain how I got myself into this mess.
I chose the wrong photo to illustrate a joke. Disastrously so.

In attempting to lampoon privilege & the news cycle I went to a file of goofy pictures & saw the chimp dressed as a Lord and thought, "That's the one!" Had I kept searching I might have chosen General Tom Thumb or even a a baby in a crown. But I didn't. God knows I wish had.

Minutes later I was alerted by followers that this royal baby was of course mixed race and waves of panic and revulsion washed over me. ****, what had I done? I needed no lessons on the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest.

I am aware black people do not need a white man to tell them this. Deleting it immediately and apologising for the awful gaffe I even foolishly tried to make light of it. (My situation that is, not the racism involved.) Too late and here I am.

I would like once and for all to apologise to every single person who, quite naturally, took the awful connection at face value. I understand that and all of the clamour and opprobrium I have faced since. I am not feeling sorry for myself. I ****ed up. Badly.

But it was a genuine, naive and catastrophic mistake. There is of course little media/twitter traction in such a straight-forward explanation. The picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist. It was never intended so - seriously who on earth would 'go there'?

Anyway i am now paying the price for this crass & regrettable blunder and rightly so. Probably even this final word from me will extend the mania. ('Dog whistle' anyone?) I would like to thank friends on here for their kinder words and once again - I am so, so sorry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From Danny Baker today.

Good morning, everyone.

Following one of the worst days of my life I just want to formally apologise for the outrage I caused and explain how I got myself into this mess.

In attempting to lampoon privilege & the news cycle I went to a file of goofy pictures & saw the chimp dressed as a Lord and thought, "That's the one!" Had I kept searching I might have chosen General Tom Thumb or even a a baby in a crown. But I didn't. God knows I wish had.

Minutes later I was alerted by followers that this royal baby was of course mixed race and waves of panic and revulsion washed over me. ****, what had I done? I needed no lessons on the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest.

I am aware black people do not need a white man to tell them this. Deleting it immediately and apologising for the awful gaffe I even foolishly tried to make light of it. (My situation that is, not the racism involved.) Too late and here I am.

I would like once and for all to apologise to every single person who, quite naturally, took the awful connection at face value. I understand that and all of the clamour and opprobrium I have faced since. I am not feeling sorry for myself. I ****ed up. Badly.

But it was a genuine, naive and catastrophic mistake. There is of course little media/twitter traction in such a straight-forward explanation. The picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist. It was never intended so - seriously who on earth would 'go there'?

Anyway i am now paying the price for this crass & regrettable blunder and rightly so. Probably even this final word from me will extend the mania. ('Dog whistle' anyone?) I would like to thank friends on here for their kinder words and once again - I am so, so sorry.

That is just about perfect. Fair play.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From Danny Baker today.

Good morning, everyone.

I believe every word of that. It makes complete sense and, as he said "The picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist. It was never intended so - seriously who on earth would 'go there'?

A silly mistake, but not one of a racist. Move on.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
From Danny Baker today.

Good morning, everyone.

Good for him.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Again, just a reminder that this dinosaur played a noteworthy role in ensuring we have a club at all. I have no problem if subsequently he has a gentle ribbing against us. All part of the fun.

He's not afraid to have a laugh even at his own expense, when Millwall left the old Den he complained that the new all seater stadium had lost its soul and besides, " They put all the seats in the wrong way round, can you believe that, they put them in facing the pitch ? "

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That is just about perfect. Fair play.

Yes, it is. It's a shame for him that it's taken this long for it to be published. Had it been his first reaction to the incoming shitstorm, or even his 10th, he'd quite probably still be employed. He's a mug not to have issued such a statement before now, and, moreover, needs better PR advisers - any half decent one would have told him that this sort of apology was what was required immediately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here