Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The seven worst signings in the Premier League this season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree, although I'd also argue that Skalak also performed for us... Especially in his first season. He just tailed off badly and was replaced by better in the second.

He did for a period, but remember that he was not sidelined until we reached the PL. I don't think you can really argue with anybody who felt he was short of the attributes to contribute at this level.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I hope so too, but it's worrying that he's not shown even a glimpse of promise. No assists and not even a single notable bit of skill. (Assume he looks better in training)

Great facial hair, though.

I seem to remember a great shot of his that hit the bar. Can't remember when though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He did for a period, but remember that he was not sidelined until we reached the PL. I don't think you can really argue with anybody who felt he was short of the attributes to contribute at this level.

Oh absolutely. He was a solid Championship player and nothing more, but he also never played for us in the PL. His battering he took came the season we got promoted.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Barnes was entirely a different case.

Barnes DID perform, and for whatever reason a portion of the fan-base just didn't take to him. Bizarre really.

The lad succeeded at every level he played for the club. 4 goals in 9 on loan at the end of 09/10. 20 goals in the promotion season of 10/11. Top scorer (14) in the first Championship season, ahead of the big money CMS. And all despite regularly being stuck out wide left.

:shrug:

Well there are some on here who would like to see the back of Glen Murray even though he is our top scorer in The Premier League. Some fans just can't look past players faults and not see what that player actually bring to the game, although I think the 'fault ' some believe Glen Murray has is that he played for Palace, which is small minded IMHO

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree, although I'd also argue that Skalak also performed for us... Especially in his first season. He just tailed off badly and was replaced by better in the second.

The rewriting of Skalak's Albion career on here was a bit ridiculous.

He was very good from January onward the first half season, then decent the season after that. He tailed off badly in his second full season but everyone completely forgot that he was a vital part of the squad before that, and most seem to just remember him as being poor.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
PL defensive midfield sitters don’t necessarily need exceptional pace; game awareness and positioning is more important.

Wide players do need pace, except possibly exceptional FB’s of a ‘grand’ age - Maldini and Bruno.

But AJ might still cut it. It’s too harsh to judge him after one stop-start season.

Literally the last attribute a sitting DM needs is pace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well there are some on here who would like to see the back of Glen Murray even though he is our top scorer in The Premier League. Some fans just can't look past players faults and not see what that player actually bring to the game, although I think the 'fault ' some believe Glen Murray has is that he played for Palace, which is small minded IMHO

Glenn's PACE is his clear shortcoming. If anyone WANTS a stick to beat him with, there's really no need to stoop to the Palace thing.

But he's a brilliant pro - hardly ever out injured, which is incredible given his age and the physical demands of his game, and the guy has just scored his TWO HUNDREDTH senior goal, on his 400th start. Anyone who wouldn't want a striker with that record, at least as an option, is ODD.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Glenn's PACE is his clear shortcoming. If anyone WANTS a stick to beat him with, there's really no need to stoop to the Palace thing.

But he's a brilliant pro - hardly ever out injured, which is incredible given his age and the physical demands of his game, and the guy has just scored his TWO HUNDREDTH senior goal, on his 400th start. Anyone who wouldn't want a striker with that record, at least as an option, is ODD.

Completely agree but there is always one or two. Especially in the case of Murray, Barnes, Bong, Knocky, Ryan, Propper, Gross, Jahanabash, March, Bruno (no sorry not Bruno), Andone, Skalak, ect ect infinitum

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He is also still the current owner of The Greatest Goal Ever Scored at the Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The rewriting of Skalak's Albion career on here was a bit ridiculous.

He was very good from January onward the first half season, then decent the season after that. He tailed off badly in his second full season but everyone completely forgot that he was a vital part of the squad before that, and most seem to just remember him as being poor.

That goal, his performance v Norwich and the flag dress for me.

If I'm more positive than others on here, they really need to have a word with themselves. :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You can count the number of ungrateful, small-minded Muzza haters on one hand. He’s loved by the wider fanbase. A quality striker and footballer, and a humble bloke.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Good of you to mention GM, because he's a cracking case in point, for which I very much have the opposite opinion.

For me it's nice and easy to be anti Murray, because we have hundreds of years of evidence and 2 full seasons of Premier League football, with us, to judge him on.

We know what works:-

- Wingers being more winger-y.
- Pascal Gross just behind him.
and oh boy does that work.

We now know what doesn't work:-

- Oddly inverted 'inside forwards'.
- Sometimes as many as 3 'holding' midfielders, none going by the name of Pascal Gross.

He has looked a shadow of himself in 2019, multiple games without a shot on target let alone a goal.
I believe his statuesque performances have hindered Locadia and Ali J, playing in a formation that seemed more suited to Andone's pace.

Stating how players don't have the luxury of time in the Premier League is obviously true, but to compound that by persisting with a player who is all but stationary then off-side must make it worse for the other team mates.

Hindsight says even then clearly my problem isn't with Murray but with a manager seemingly struck down with some form of brain freeze as he watched Rome burn around him.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Personally, although I don't think people want him to fail per se, but there are a group of fans (as there are in most fan bases) that need someone to complain about - Whatever the positive, find the negative.... This season it's been Bong (as usual), Stephens (as usual), Ryan (post Asian Cup), Locadia, March (for the first few months), Gross (until he got injured and his value skyrocketed), Propper. Jahanbakhsh is an obvious target based on his fee and his contribution.

Criticism of his contribution is valid, but has to be tempered by a) needing to adapt; b) his injury-plagued start to life in England; c) the ill-timed Asian Cup d) the fact he's only started 11 games for us and e) the fact that as an offensive, right-sided, wing forward, he's mainly been deployed as a defensive left-sided winger for 75% of the time, or a defensive right winger.

I'm not saying he's nailed on to succeed or fail, just that he's got good technical skill and has the potential to succeed. For me, he needs a full pre-season with the squad and a chance to properly play in his actual preferred role and then we'll see what we've bought.

Wow, that's far too balanced a view for NSC. I don't know either whether he'll succeed or fail next season, but I've seen enough glimpses of his ability and footballing intelligence to want him to have the chance to prove himself, especially after the vile abuse I heard him getting from a section of our fans at the Emirates. CH himself has been reported as saying that we'll have to wait to next season to see the best of him, and I hope he's right.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Personally, although I don't think people want him to fail per se, but there are a group of fans (as there are in most fan bases) that need someone to complain about - Whatever the positive, find the negative.... This season it's been Bong (as usual), Stephens (as usual), Ryan (post Asian Cup), Locadia, March (for the first few months), Gross (until he got injured and his value skyrocketed), Propper. Jahanbakhsh is an obvious target based on his fee and his contribution.

Criticism of his contribution is valid, but has to be tempered by a) needing to adapt; b) his injury-plagued start to life in England; c) the ill-timed Asian Cup d) the fact he's only started 11 games for us and e) the fact that as an offensive, right-sided, wing forward, he's mainly been deployed as a defensive left-sided winger for 75% of the time, or a defensive right winger.

I'm not saying he's nailed on to succeed or fail, just that he's got good technical skill and has the potential to succeed. For me, he needs a full pre-season with the squad and a chance to properly play in his actual preferred role and then we'll see what we've bought.

Really good post.

I believe AJ was signed to get us goals. He has clearly failed in this first season but I suspect we’ll be trying to find a way of unlocking his potential next season. Good luck to the lad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here