Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I've watched him coach before and I've been very impressed by him. His on field work is phenomenal and the respect he gets from players is top as well, I can imagine he is a top man manager. He knows the game very well and you'd be surprised of his knowledge of all the English & Spanish leagues. Fluent in Spanish too!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've watched him coach before and I've been very impressed by him. His on field work is phenomenal and the respect he gets from players is top as well, I can imagine he is a top man manager. He knows the game very well and you'd be surprised of his knowledge of all the English & Spanish leagues. Fluent in Spanish too!

All fits the bill. Would be amazed if he isn't on our radar, possibly second to Sherwood.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
think we would be waiting a little longer on this one. He has the small matter of the champs league final to deal with before he joins

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I mentioned him on here the other day only because he seemed like the type that would appeal to Tony. No-one had heard of Oscar before he came. Gus was a punt that worked well. I'll trust Tony to appoint the right man.

all very well, but we've failed in the play-offs in consecutive seasons ??

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Or, we've reached the play-offs in consecutive seasons. You seem to be implying that that is failure?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or, we've reached the play-offs in consecutive seasons. You seem to be implying that that is failure?

I would say last year was failure. We could have gone up automatically, weren't much worse than Hull if at all, and had a second leg semi-final to win at home against a team we should have beaten but put in a shocking display on the night.

This season, different. We at no point looked like a promotion-winning side and getting in the play-offs was very creditable especially with the injuries.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So you've discounted him "Just because the bloke works in Spain"?

He makes the right noises and has a catalogue of top notch coaching experience from the age of 23 and with it, the contacts from his time with Fulham, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid. What's not to like? We took a chance of Poyet and while it didn't end well, you can harldy deny that he did a pretty good job here. Every manager needs to start somewhere.

No, I'm discounting him because on other threads, the same people bigging Clement up are saying that Sherwood who has coached a top 6 premier league team is not the right choice and yet this guy who no one has heard of is "worth a go?"

This isn't Championship Manager, it's time to move on from the Spanish experiment which has failed and get someone who has had a degree of success in England.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
No, I'm discounting him because on other threads, the same people bigging Clement up are saying that Sherwood who has coached a top 6 premier league team is not the right choice and yet this guy who no one has heard of is "worth a go?"

This isn't Championship Manager, it's time to move on from the Spanish experiment which has failed and get someone who has had a degree of success in England.

how has the spanish experiment failed? we've gone from league one to consistently knocking on the premier league door in 3 years...
you don't even know if tony bloom is finished with the spanish experiment either.....

this is potentially an ENGLISH manager with a wealth of coaching experience, who has had an amazing 'apprenticeship', great contacts and can speak spanish fluently - he knows both the spanish and english leagues well, meaning he probably knows who he could target - to me it seems a perfect fit...

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
From what I've seen of the Sherwood complaints, being one of those complaining, The problem lies with his stinking attitude and ego, not his coaching qualifications or experience.

In turn, complaints about Clement's qualifications and experience ring more than a little hollow. He's not Spanish (not that nationality should form a basis for hiring), He has the same or better experience than Sherwood; Chelsea top 4 consistently in recent years, PSG 2 consecutive championships in France (one of which Clement was directly involved in) and now a year at Real Madrid, arguably the largest team in the world.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Fair points but I was trying to point out that successive play-offs is not failure. The problem is Tony has raised the bar and fans want success now.

Our infrastructure is in place now for a sustained push for the Prem. Other clubs used one year in the Prem to invest in Stadiums and training grounds. We will not have to do that. When we get there the money can go on the team, adding to the players that take us up and give us a better chance of staying there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interviewed Clement when he was at PSG with Ancelotti. Sold it to the Mail on Sunday, but they paid for it and never used it. Might see if I can dig it out.

At that time he was obviously involved in a very exciting gig in Paris, which then became another one in Madrid. But he was already hoping that someone at home might believe that he had gained enough good experience under the likes of Mourinho and Ancelotti to be worth taking a punt on.

Would be an interesting choice, he is very connected and has a lot of sway at home and in Europe with players.

This guy sounds very interesting.
[MENTION=47]Tooting Gull[/MENTION] what do you think our chances would be, if we did want him? How high do you think his sights are likely to be set, in terms of a first job?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This guy sounds very interesting.

[MENTION=47]Tooting Gull[/MENTION] what do you think our chances would be, if we did want him? How high do you think his sights are likely to be set, in terms of a first job?

As I pointed out another thread, he wants to be a manager and accepts that the PL is not realistic as a first stage and wants to take a side up from the Championship.

I think he'd come like a shot, it's a question of whether we want him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here