Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bissouma made 28 appearances last season. Hughton didn't do a very good job of keeping him from us.
As for whether Potter or anyone could turn Stephens and Propper into prolific goalscorers in the Premier League purely by a change of tactics - well we'll see.

So i'm going to guess Bissouma had about a fifth of the game time that Stephens had in the Premier League last year. That's a piss poor return for a £15m international midfielder, who was fit all season and generally impressed the fans. You know the thrust of the point that was being made (Our CM's hardly score, because they never got up the pitch and that's because Hughton wanted them there primarily to shield the defence) and you surely know that it's true.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
So i'm going to guess Bissouma had about a fifth of the game time that Stephens had in the Premier League last year. That's a piss poor return for a £15m international midfielder, who was fit all season and generally impressed the fans. You know the thrust of the point that was being made (Our CM's hardly score, because they never got up the pitch and that's because Hughton wanted them there primarily to shield the defence) and you surely know that it's true.

I don’t know exactly WHAT he was thinking for the last half of the season.

I do think that it worked out in the end and Chris prevented us getting relegated. I was bored shitless watching it, as was everyone else, and it was a sign that Hughton had reached the limit of his skill. However. I am grateful to him for keeping us at the table.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Roughly 70%.

Dale Stephens - 2,487 minutes (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dale-stephens/leistungsdaten/spieler/49755/plus/0?saison=2018)

Yves Bissouma - 1,769 minutes (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/yves-bissouma/leistungsdaten/spieler/410425/plus/0?saison=2018)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t know exactly WHAT he was thinking for the last half of the season.

I do think that it worked out in the end and Chris prevented us getting relegated. I was bored shitless watching it, as was everyone else, and it was a sign that Hughton had reached the limit of his skill. However. I am grateful to him for keeping us at the table.

Agree. To defend Chris on this, i've played quite a bit of football for rubbish teams near the bottom of various Saturday and Sunday leagues, and at no point did we ever plan to spend most of the game defending, it's just what happens when the opponents are better than you. You are just forced back, it's not conscious. Now I know there's a bit of a difference in the pre-match planning with the premier to Sunday league, but I think the principle applies across both. The consequence of playing a better team is that you inevitably defend a lot

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Agree. To defend Chris on this, i've played quite a bit of football for rubbish teams near the bottom of various Saturday and Sunday leagues, and at no point did we ever plan to spend most of the game defending, it's just what happens when the opponents are better than you. You are just forced back, it's not conscious. Now I know there's a bit of a difference in the pre-match planning with the premier to Sunday league, but I think the principle applies across both. The consequence of playing a better team is that you inevitably defend a lot

I don’t think Bournemouth or Cardiff we’re “a lot better” than us.

It was then that I realised that something had gone catastrophically wrong.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

So i'm going to guess Bissouma had about a fifth of the game time that Stephens had in the Premier League last year. That's a piss poor return for a £15m international midfielder, who was fit all season and generally impressed the fans. .

Yes. I know Stephens and Propper played more and we can debate the reasons about whether they should have done . But the OP's point was that we "hardly saw" anything of Bissouma because Hughton "didn't trust him". We saw plenty of him.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Where did "a lot better" suddenly crop up from? They were just better, and that was enough.

Cardiff weren’t better. And Bournemouth were not 5-0 better.

I agree with your general principle but CH was really panicking by then.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Im wondering if CH is going for unfair dismissal as the club dont seem to be doing anything in the dismissal dept correctly????

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Montoya? Great technique but the postional ability of a five year old and strikes me as a "that'll do" player. I could be massively wrong but that would explain why he's not earning gazillions at Barca and has, instead, come here.

This 100%. And spotted by opposing managers, who organised the likes of Redmond to tear him apart. Painful to watch, almost in slo-mo. In the end CH had to bring back 38 year old El Capitan.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This 100%. And spotted by opposing managers, who organised the likes of Redmond to tear him apart. Painful to watch, almost in slo-mo. In the end CH had to bring back 38 year old El Capitan.

I think that’s quite harsh. He offers quite a lot going forward and he’s certainly no Bruno in defence or attack but it’s very hard to follow one of the all time Albion legends. We would have to spend not far short of 20 million to get a young Bruno imo.

We may have a manager who plays more to his strengths than CH did, he is patently not one of the best defenders in the league but he’s a decent lower Premier League defender.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Hughton will be back in employment soon. Can see him taking on a Championship job once the first sacking or two start in September/October.

My money would be on Fulham. I've got a feeling Scott Parker will be one of the first casualties. Maybe Leeds if they start this season as they finished the last.

Can see Middlesbrough struggling with Woodgate in charge, but as he's Gibson's cheap option appointment he'll be given sufficient time to lead them into League One.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It's still a concern our lack of a suitable right back Montoya looks the part but he's no Bruno!

Plus the never ending search for a centre forward a young Alan Shearer up for sale at a price we can afford, unless we plan to sell one of our two prize assets for mega bucks to fund a striker and right back, I hope we don't live to regret Connor Goldstone leaving us

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that’s quite harsh. He offers quite a lot going forward and he’s certainly no Bruno in defence or attack but it’s very hard to follow one of the all time Albion legends. We would have to spend not far short of 20 million to get a young Bruno imo.

We may have a manager who plays more to his strengths than CH did, he is patently not one of the best defenders in the league but he’s a decent lower Premier League defender.

I think we can all agree that the primary duty of a full back is to defend. Montoya’s defending was awful e.g. in all those 2019 home losses, until he was dropped.

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has a wide knowledge of football, beyond just watching the Albion. He summed it up brilliantly:

“Montoya? Great technique but the postional ability of a five year old and strikes me as a "that'll do" player. I could be massively wrong but that would explain why he's not earning gazillions at Barca and has, instead, come here.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we can all agree that the primary duty of a full back is to defend. Montoya’s defending was awful e.g. in all those 2019 home losses, until he was dropped.

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has a wide knowledge of football, beyond just watching the Albion. He summed it up brilliantly:

“Montoya? Great technique but the postional ability of a five year old and strikes me as a "that'll do" player. I could be massively wrong but that would explain why he's not earning gazillions at Barca and has, instead, come here.”

Let’s see how he does next season I think that you are both wrong on this!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im wondering if CH is going for unfair dismissal as the club dont seem to be doing anything in the dismissal dept correctly????

ill informed, bitter and presumptive post of the day!!!!

In what circumstances could CH's departure be considered unfair? unless of course the club refused to pay up the remainder of his contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here