Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter is not afraid of using asymmetrical formations. Several games (and parts of games) we had (if you look at a heat map) two left wingers and one centre forward or one winger and two centre forwards. Its very much not static and there could be room for both Maupay and Murray at the same time.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It’s too early for me, I can’t read. Apologies

NP. Incidentally, my formation is certainly not a prediction. Just something I'd be interested to see. I really want to see Propper get a chance to show what he can do as CAM, that's something I've wanted to see for ages too.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Just want GPott to pick horses for courses. If there's a formation/personnel combination that's particularly suited to Watford at Vicarage Road - then play it.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Not too optimistic if our front three is Murray, Locadia and Trossard like the friendlies. Will work against lesser teams but need more going forward as feel those three will struggle to go past a Watford defence with pace or skill (I know Trossard is skilful but still a bit lightweight). With Stephens and Propper behind it would be a bit pedestrian. Could still get a goal from a set piece of course (a la our last 4 goals) but would like either Mooy or Maupay to be in that front 5. Come on the Albion! Excited for this season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Our first game last season. We played pretty brad for 50 minutes or so before Potter made some changes and when we scored that first goal it was the ultimate proof of how Potter wanted us to play.

Interesting everyone assumes you are playing three defenders just because you did it in the last friendlies. I wouldnt be so certain. You will definitely adapt to the opposition and play different formations every now and then, though the squad looks designed mainly for 3 cbs.

We started 3 man defense twice last season, and the last time it didnt go too well and Wigan scored two goals in 45 min. ""I take full responsibility for the first half, we weren't able to be ourselves and it was an uncomfortable 45 minutes," Potter explained.

"We had an idea but clearly it didn't work, or I wasn't able to explain the idea well enough.

"I am disappointed with myself and apologise to the players and to the supporters for the first half."

It should be noted though that he had much success with 3-4-3/3-5-2 in Östersund and that we didnt have enough central defenders (only two fit in the squad most season) to try it out more.

Look forward to the game. You might have a bad half or even a bad game every now and then in the beginning, but expect a good game since Watford is a nice side as well.

Good read. Thanks.
Must admit to being very nervous after watching Norwich concede easy space last night. Still they offered real quality going forward which is where we have failed, last season especially. Not going to be any easier this season but we will be able to tell a lot about approach and about discipline and organisation after today. Fingers crossed we make a show of it.
Not having a clue about the line up, formation or personnel, is adding to first day nerves.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Our first game last season. We played pretty brad for 50 minutes or so before Potter made some changes and when we scored that first goal it was the ultimate proof of how Potter wanted us to play.

Interesting everyone assumes you are playing three defenders just because you did it in the last friendlies. I wouldnt be so certain. You will definitely adapt to the opposition and play different formations every now and then, though the squad looks designed mainly for 3 cbs.

We started 3 man defense twice last season, and the last time it didnt go too well and Wigan scored two goals in 45 min. ""I take full responsibility for the first half, we weren't able to be ourselves and it was an uncomfortable 45 minutes," Potter explained.

"We had an idea but clearly it didn't work, or I wasn't able to explain the idea well enough.

"I am disappointed with myself and apologise to the players and to the supporters for the first half."

It should be noted though that he had much success with 3-4-3/3-5-2 in Östersund and that we didnt have enough central defenders (only two fit in the squad most season) to try it out more.

Look forward to the game. You might have a bad half or even a bad game every now and then in the beginning, but expect a good game since Watford is a nice side as well.

Interesting comments on that video.

This one stood out for me in particular:

I love how we played!! Especially in the second half. We attacked and went at them, unlike the usual park the bus shot we been playing for past 3 years. Having a young speedy attacking core like we have really makes all the difference, these guy are talented AND hungry I love it. I'm super excited to see how the team will progress with Potter and how these young guys improve throughout the season. I think the only part we REALLY need to fix, is the midfield. We need a solid holding mid who can just sit back, win the ball and play it out like Britton.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No idea, but I would. Only because I would want to really stretch them at the back, and also because both NM and FA are annoying as f*ck for defenders. I'd like to see them play together.

Of course I rate GM, but I don't see him getting 38 games this season so he will have to be used thoughtfully, and I would say more at home than away.
I think GM has other ideas

Mmm. I understand that logic, but it's making my head hurt.

Ok, I've made a decision. No, I wouldn't be happier with that. Yes it would mean we're capable of scoring 3 goals, but that could just be thanks to things like sloppy defending and a careless arm in the air penalty decision etc. Letting in 4 would not be a good sign for our team. Yes I know you want to see a change from the defensive style we've had, but I think you'll see that even if it finishes 0-0. Potter will not have us playing all season the same way as the last few months.
It's the first time I've ever felt this way; I've ALWAYS preferred result over entertainment. However, I believe in Potter and I think we might just be on the verge of something very special. A 4-3 defeat (although not in the way you describe :)) would indicate to me that such a transformation is under way.
From watching the women's World Cup I have to say I'm dismayed that a penalty can now be conceded when an arm is neither careless nor raised.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Is potter really going to bench a proven premier league scorer of goals?

An ageing low ratio to games played proven goal scorer? We all love GM but he is not, and never has been, the Messiah. Please do not turn this into another lovers v haters crap thread like the Ashley Barnes one. Glenn has a role to play, but it will be lessened as time goes by.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
Super excited. Haven't been this geared up towards the start of a new season for a long time. Would love a result. A win would be something else. 3 hrs to go....

:bhasign:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
An ageing low ratio to games played proven goal scorer? We all love GM but he is not, and never has been, the Messiah. Please do not turn this into another lovers v haters crap thread like the Ashley Barnes one. Glenn has a role to play, but it will be lessened as time goes by.

His goal to game ratio wasn't that low. Usually played on his own up front with negative tactics. Surely he starts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here