Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m sure we will leave in October. With no deal. It was always going to be so. Our country is ****ed.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Well, you're not going to get either. But, I'll make a prediction.... Don't hold me to it.

1. We will leave the EU on the 31 October with a deal so no revoking of article 50
2. Brexit will then be put to bed and when an election is called the Tories will romp home with a landslide
3. As a consequence Jezza resigns and the Lib Dems will go back to getting between 8-15 seats with the leader threatening to eat their own hat.

What say you Leves, what's your honest opinion about the outcome, not what you want, but what you think might happen.

Part of that I can see happening, but not much of part 2 - i'm thinking that the damage the Tories have inflicted over the past few years with austerity and bollocksing up Brexit will mean they will struggle. Another hung parliament i'd expect, but they've damaged themselves too much to get a landslide.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
3rd time lucky? :laugh:

Why so funny. We will leave on 31 October, with or without a deal, the EU won't be granting anymore extensions, and on my side the people won't put up with this unresolved issue indefinitely. There won't be a GE as Tories too weak to win even against toxic, unelectable Corbin and they know it. There also won't be a second referendum, last weeks Euro Referendum results put paid to that as it underlined that most people haven't changed their minds, despite the desperate wishes of some on here. Also, Corbin won't call for one, the big unions are against it too, so basically we're coming up to the pointed end and as Clamp has pointed out You're Phucked.

Now I'm fed up with pointing out the bleeding obvious and will retire to the garden with a bottle of my favourite Montepulciano, long may it continue.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Why so funny. We will leave on 31 October, with or without a deal, the EU won't be granting anymore extensions, and on my side the people won't put up with this unresolved issue indefinitely. There won't be a GE as Tories too weak to win even against toxic, unelectable Corbin and they know it. There also won't be a second referendum, last weeks Euro Referendum results put paid to that as it underlined that most people haven't changed their minds, despite the desperate wishes of some on here. Also, Corbin won't call for one, the big unions are against it too, so basically we're coming up to the pointed end and as Clamp has pointed out You're Phucked.

Now I'm fed up with pointing out the bleeding obvious and will retire to the garden with a bottle of my favourite Montepulciano, long may it continue.

You may be right
You may be wrong
You certainly state your case more tendentiously than impartially

....but I am interested in your comment 'you're phucked'
It suggests there is a 'you' and 'us' outcome.

I believe we share a common fate; and in the scenario you have outlined, I suspect we are all 'phucked'

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Part of that I can see happening, but not much of part 2 - i'm thinking that the damage the Tories have inflicted over the past few years with austerity and bollocksing up Brexit will mean they will struggle. Another hung parliament i'd expect, but they've damaged themselves too much to get a landslide.

I agree with your response to part 2.
I hope I am not vindictive person but I foresee severe electoral punishment for the pro Leave architects and apologists if Brexit plays out as we suspect.... and I will struggle to feel any sympathy.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

So, if the Tories won't win, and Corbyn is unelectable (so can't win) - who do you think will win a general election?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see Philip Lee has lost a vote of confidence and is set to be deselected.

That's another Tory MP with nothing to lose if it came to a no confidence vote. It takes just six, remember

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I see Philip Lee has lost a vote of confidence and is set to be deselected.

That's another Tory MP with nothing to lose if it came to a no confidence vote. It takes just six, remember
Different rules in Tory party I think. He can just sit there.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Quick question to the many, many members of the undemocratic loon crew that frequent the Brexit thread on NSC .... would you vote in a Marxist, anti-Semitic sympathiser, far left, anti-business/capitalism/anti-UK pro Putin/anti-west PM if you could stop Brexit ?

Being honest for a change would be most welcome.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Different rules in Tory party I think. He can just sit there.

Yes, he can, the point is though - how loyal do you think he's going to be?
If a new PM tries to push through a no deal and Corbyn puts a vote of no confidence - is he going to support a party that's stabbed him in the back, on an issue that he doesn't actually support?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quick question to the many, many members of the undemocratic loon crew that frequent the Brexit thread on NSC .... would you vote in a Marxist, anti-Semitic sympathiser, far left, anti-business/capitalism/anti-UK pro Putin/anti-west PM if you could stop Brexit ?

Pro Putin ?

Do grow up.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Don't you think the way you phrased your question might put people off giving an honest answer? Your contempt for Corbyn is implicit in your choice of language.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

In an astonishingly long history of voting in general elections I have voted Labour only once, in 1997. Putting to one side, as I always try to, your infantile description of anyone you disagree with the answer to your question is Yes.

A Corbyn government might be damaging but its effects would be short term. Brexit would be infinitely more damaging in my view, damaging for our children's lives, our economy, our reputation and our influence. And the damage would be long term.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/29...th-north-macedonia-and-albania-says-mogherini

EU membership talks should start with North Macedonia and Albania, says Mogherini

EU membership negotiations should begin with Albania and North Macedonia, according to the bloc's foreign policy chief.

Federica Mogherini, speaking at a press conference on the bloc's enlargement, said talks should start as soon as possible.

She said both countries merit having their progress acknowledged and the failure to do so would hit the EU's credibility.

The last member state to join the union was Croatia in 2013.

The recommendation comes as Albania has been gripped by violent protests in recent weeks. Demonstrators in the capital Tirana attacking the gates of prime minister Edi Rama’s office earlier this month.

Protesters are calling for Rama to resign over allegations over his alleged involvement in corruption and electoral fraud and want a snap election to be held.

The EU, along with the US government, have called Rama's government legitimate and have called for opposition parties to return to the Albanian parliament ahead of the local elections on June 30.

Albania was officially given candidate status to join the EU in June 2014. It has transitioned to a market economy and begun to open up to the whole since the fall of communism in the 1990s and the death of its strongman ruler Enver Hoxha in 1985.

Protesters have been seen waving EU flags and have used the popular slogan from the 1990s: "We want a European Albania".

North Macedonia, meanwhile, has resolved a long-running name dispute with neighbours Greece, which has opened the door to EU and NATO membership.

Good for them. Although it will be a long time before anything happens. See Turkey.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Don't you think the way you phrased your question might put people off giving an honest answer? Your contempt for Corbyn is implicit in your choice of language.

Honest answers are not possible for your average Lib Dem voter... contempt for Corbyn should be a widely acceptable democratic norm ..

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In an astonishingly long history of voting in general elections I have voted Labour only once, in 1997. Putting to one side, as I always try to, your infantile description of anyone you disagree with the answer to your question is Yes.

A Corbyn government might be damaging but its effects would be short term. Brexit would be infinitely more damaging in my view, damaging for our children's lives, our economy, our reputation and our influence. And the damage would be long term.

Ah, your entire extremist credentials are finally laid bare for all to see... undemocratic loon *tick*, apologist/supporter of far left anti Semitism *tick* what a shameful set of arguments you support .

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

[MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] self-identified undemocratic loon and facilitator/supporter of anti-Semitism what a shameful twunt ...
67539523_Mandatory_3342128b.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/29...th-north-macedonia-and-albania-says-mogherini

EU membership talks should start with North Macedonia and Albania, says Mogherini

EU membership negotiations should begin with Albania and North Macedonia, according to the bloc's foreign policy chief.

Federica Mogherini, speaking at a press conference on the bloc's enlargement, said talks should start as soon as possible.

She said both countries merit having their progress acknowledged and the failure to do so would hit the EU's credibility.

The last member state to join the union was Croatia in 2013.

The recommendation comes as Albania has been gripped by violent protests in recent weeks. Demonstrators in the capital Tirana attacking the gates of prime minister Edi Rama’s office earlier this month.

Protesters are calling for Rama to resign over allegations over his alleged involvement in corruption and electoral fraud and want a snap election to be held.

The EU, along with the US government, have called Rama's government legitimate and have called for opposition parties to return to the Albanian parliament ahead of the local elections on June 30.

Albania was officially given candidate status to join the EU in June 2014. It has transitioned to a market economy and begun to open up to the whole since the fall of communism in the 1990s and the death of its strongman ruler Enver Hoxha in 1985.

Protesters have been seen waving EU flags and have used the popular slogan from the 1990s: "We want a European Albania".

North Macedonia, meanwhile, has resolved a long-running name dispute with neighbours Greece, which has opened the door to EU and NATO membership.

Albania applied in 2009 and before a country can join they have to show they are fulfilling the criteria in 35 different 'Chapters' relating to democracy, rule of law, market economy etc. I believe they are expected to join next year. We'll have to see how that progresses. Most countries seem to take about 10 years to join however, at the time of the referendum, Turkey was touted by one high profile individual as being about to join the EU (therefore allowing free access to the rests of the EU for all those terrorists) however after 10 years they had only met the criteria in one chapter which I believe was in Research and Development!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here