Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has the bar been raised for points to survive after today?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No.

This weekend was obviously the 'glimmer of hope' one.
We always have one, everybody wins and either curse they're luck that gaps haven't been narrowed or grateful gaps aren't bigger.

Normal service will resume next week.

Yes. I fancy three points at Millwall.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really really really hope Burnley end up going down.

1. I really don't like Burnley
2. It would shut old gravely voice up.
3. I really don't like Burnley
4. It would probably mean Cardiff will take one the bottom 3 slots next season
5. I really don't like Burnley

6. We could get Barnes back :wink:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I don’t usually bother looking at other teams fixtures but had a glance at Cardiff’s and they are brutal. Difficult to see where they would get the six points needed to overtake us assuming we at worst draw with them at home.

The other factor for all teams below us is that games are fast running out. Only 8 to play for hem so a couple of defeats and it gets away from you so quickly at this stage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
One minor pedantic note. Only mug managers like Pards have point targets. Mr Hughton only ever has one target - 3 points (and somtimes just the one).

dit: on th laptop with th dodgy lttr ' ' :facepalm:

Hughton said the target was 40 earlier on Sky.

Edit: Just saw [MENTION=1104]seagulls4ever[/MENTION] beat me to it.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

And put so eloquently ....... couldn’t agree more

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
we shouldn't be looking over our shoulder we need to be thinking how we can get back to finishing in our highest ever position. Today was a brilliant result, two moments of brilliance from our strikers but more importantly a much better team effort as we battled all over the park. One worry though is Andone anyone know what the issue was or was it the greatest piece of subterfuge since D-Day.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
we shouldn't be looking over our shoulder we need to be thinking how we can get back to finishing in our highest ever position. Today was a brilliant result, two moments of brilliance from our strikers but more importantly a much better team effort as we battled all over the park. One worry though is Andone anyone know what the issue was or was it the greatest piece of subterfuge since D-Day.

Well... Hughton referred to an injury to his thigh, and Murray to his groin. Enough there for the conspiracy theorists to have a field day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hughton after today's match:

"I always maintained 40 points is the easiest and obvious one to look for. It's something to aim for and every team wants to surpass that."

:dunce:

What question was asked? Sounds like an answer to 'how many points do you think will be necessary to stay up?' Easy to say what he did. But he wouldn't initiate a conversation by invoking a point target, as if this determines his strategy. :shrug:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
36 should be enough by my calculations providing we beat Cardiff at home. At best they’re only going to get points from Palace, Fulham and Burnley which if we are being generous gets them to 36 but their GD is awful.

If we lose to them, they can get 39 and the magic 40 remains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Plus we could maybe get Barnes back off them in exchange for £5m and a signed Bong shirt.

He'd be good competition for Florin.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
37 for me with gd worth a point

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Probably crept up to 37 now.

Beat Southampton or Cardiff and 36 should do, and we'll already be there.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What question was asked? Sounds like an answer to 'how many points do you think will be necessary to stay up?' Easy to say what he did. But he wouldn't initiate a conversation by invoking a point target, as if this determines his strategy. :shrug:

The question was '"what do you think you'll need from your remaining games?"

He said "I've always maintained 40 points, because that's the easiest and obvious one to look for. By law of averages it will probably be less, but I think if you have a mindset of that figure, it's a goal, it's something to aim for, of course every team wants to surpass that if they can."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...t-a-red-card-says-brighton-boss-chris-hughton

Therefore he initiated the 40 points as a goal, or something "to aim for" (target), and so it sounds like it is a target he has in mind. Of course we don't know what the particulars of his strategy for achieving that target are, but that's another topic, and was not the point of your initial pedanticism.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
After today's result, that mob up the road are in real trouble. Losing today makes it just one win in their past eight home Premier League games (W1 D2 L5)

Couple that with their dire goal scoring record at home, just 11 goals at home all season, and 4 of those were from penalties.

Their remaining fixtures are now looking far tougher when you take this all into account.

Crystal Palace - Huddersfield Town
Newcastle - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Man City
Arsenal - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Everton
Cardiff - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Bournemouth
Tottenham - Crystal Palace

If they lose to Huddersfield next match, then I'd lump on big that they will go down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The question was '"what do you think you'll need from your remaining games?"

He said "I've always maintained 40 points, because that's the easiest and obvious one to look for. By law of averages it will probably be less, but I think if you have a mindset of that figure, it's a goal, it's something to aim for, of course every team wants to surpass that if they can."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...t-a-red-card-says-brighton-boss-chris-hughton

Therefore he initiated the 40 points as a goal, or something "to aim for" (target), and so it sounds like it is a target he has in mind. Of course we don't know what the particulars of his strategy for achieving that target are, but that's another topic, and was not the point of your initial pedanticism.

Thank you for that. CH was simply being accomodating to the interviewer, rather than being a smart arse 'aiming for 50' or dullard 'take each game as it comes' merchant. Of course he doesn't strategise each game with an end of season points target as his driver. And 40 points is such a soft answer....Pards would have said 'we are aiming for 37 - that should do it' - shortly before he was sacked :lolol:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
After today's result, that mob up the road are in real trouble. Losing today makes it just one win in their past eight home Premier League games (W1 D2 L5)

Couple that with their dire goal scoring record at home, just 11 goals at home all season, and 4 of those were from penalties.

Their remaining fixtures are now looking far tougher when you take this all into account.

Crystal Palace - Huddersfield Town
Newcastle - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Man City
Arsenal - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Everton
Cardiff - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Bournemouth
Tottenham - Crystal Palace

If they lose to Huddersfield next match, then I'd lump on big that they will go down.

I seem to recall [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] 's tracker calling out that they were behind the curve on the staying up tracker. Today's result will have made that position worse.
That thread could do with a timely bounce.

I don't think they will go down, but we are well placed to finish above them now.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
With home games v Cardiff, Bmuff and Stain, I think we'll be fine. One win and two draws would be enough. We seem to be finding a bit of form and today should be a huge positive morale wise. I can see us getting 40 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here