Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Dubrovnik or Budapest?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
When we visited Croatia for a long weekend last year we stayed in Cavtat just along the coast.
Lovely area and a nice easy boat trip into Dubrovnik for the day. Would highly recommend Cavtat and right near the airport for easy transfer.
Boat best way of going into Dubrovnik as takes you right into the old town and it’s a really nice sail along the coast

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
When we visited Croatia for a long weekend last year we stayed in Cavtat just along the coast.
Lovely area and a nice easy boat trip into Dubrovnik for the day. Would highly recommend Cavtat and right near the airport for easy transfer.
Boat best way of going into Dubrovnik as takes you right into the old town and it’s a really nice sail along the coast

This. The boat trip is great and coming via the harbour to the city is ideal.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've been to Croatia a dozen times at least and would avoid Dubrovnik city like the plague -
mega-busy, expensive and not a whole lot to see tbh.

Now, just down the coast and you're talking some of the best places on the planet for
beaches, food etc. and reasonable prices. So Budapest as a city, but Croatia if you can
combine a trip to Dubrovnik with other places.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I’m interested in this as I’m off to Dubrovnik in a couple of weeks, also taking in Split, Kotor and Budva. It’s whilst the last 16 is on so all travelling/touristy things must be done before 4pm local time! Any suggestions welcome....

Did something similar whilst the Euro’s were on a couple of years ago. Budapest > Oradea > Cluj a really good trip thru Transylvania would defo recommend to anyone, cheap as chips too and I’m a northerner!

Another shout for Bratislava too, combined with Brno

Try Trogir 15 miles up the coast from Split ,and a couple of miles from Split Airport . Lovely little town on an island ,well worth a visit.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We have done a few city breaks.. I loved krakow for the food and drink and history of the place.. so somewhere like that would be ideal..

Did you do any walking tours in Krakow?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Neither - one is full of hen and stag does (bear in mind you'll be sharing your plane and airport with too!) whilst the other is absolutely heaving with GoT tourists. Seriously. We now live in the age of mass tourism because of cheap flights and it's a serious problem to the point lots of press articles about the problems both of these locations have now and it's only getting worse.

Miserable *******

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Ones got great scenery the other great nite-life depends what you want. Budapest a lot cheaper obviously as others have said.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Porec Croatia is nice full of history lots to do and directly from the key you can catch the ferry to Venice which making a day visit from Porec easy, Valamar chain of hotels are very good and being further north than Dubrovnik the heat tends not to be as oppressive and far less people wise

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Neither - one is full of hen and stag does (bear in mind you'll be sharing your plane and airport with too!) whilst the other is absolutely heaving with GoT tourists. Seriously. We now live in the age of mass tourism because of cheap flights and it's a serious problem to the point lots of press articles about the problems both of these locations have now and it's only getting worse.

You’re thinking of Prague imo. I’ve found Budapest absolutely fine every time I’ve been, only ran into one stag do and it was pretty tame. Jewish quarter is the place to go for food and bars. Damn, might book a trip now myself...

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
I’m interested in this as I’m off to Dubrovnik in a couple of weeks, also taking in Split, Kotor and Budva. It’s whilst the last 16 is on so all travelling/touristy things must be done before 4pm local time! Any suggestions welcome....

Did something similar whilst the Euro’s were on a couple of years ago. Budapest > Oradea > Cluj a really good trip thru Transylvania would defo recommend to anyone, cheap as chips too and I’m a northerner!

Another shout for Bratislava too, combined with Brno

Stayed in Budva 3 years ago. A lot of Russian / Ukrainian holidaymakers, the old town is great & newer part full of bars.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Did you do any walking tours in Krakow?

Mrs Ins and myself were in Krakow a few weeks ago. We didn't do any walking tours as such but did walk all round old town (very nice) Jewish quarter, (couldn't tell it from any other quarter) and the Jewish ghetto (it really does not exist anymore). Schindlers factory is well worth 3 or 4 hours of your life.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You’re thinking of Prague imo. I’ve found Budapest absolutely fine every time I’ve been, only ran into one stag do and it was pretty tame. Jewish quarter is the place to go for food and bars. Damn, might book a trip now myself...

Nope, definitely B albeit could add P quite easily to the same list. Lack of imagination also a contributing factor, many people are just a bit geographically challenged when it comes to city breaks.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Miserable *******

He will be if he goes to either for just a weekend, the queues alone! Maybe if bit longer and off peak. But no way for the next 3 months. I see NZ is now taking action to control tourist numbers. As I said, we’re in a new age of mass tourism and people need to get heads round that as more and more places will need to curb numbers. We had it good whilst it lasted but those days of beating just the Germans to the pool are over.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here