Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paula Radcliffe 'unfit' for her final marathon..

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
You know you're a proper runner when you've had to curl one out.

Though normally I would find a bush........

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
A thread to restore your faith in people.

As my missus has grown up with her at Bedford & County and her mum and Dad went to my wedding (get me!), the criticism of her of being a quitter was so bizarre, I suppose they didn't know the facts of what happened. Looking forward to giving her a shout on Sunday.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Splitter Radcliffe. Shitter Radcliffe. Unfitter Radcliffe.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My thinking was that if she feels not fully able to do the race, she should withdraw, and give someone else their chance at glory (or not)..

From the article you originally quoted "Radcliffe, who has run the quickest three marathon times by a woman, is taking part in her final 26.2-mile race on Sunday, starting in the mass ranks."

So it's the London Marathon, the scene of her immense world record and she is starting with joe public but you begrudge her a place? Am I missing something here?

Ps there are 35,000 places

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My thinking was that if she feels not fully able to do the race, she should withdraw, and give someone else their chance at glory (or not)..

But she is fully able to do the race? What you on about?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rules prevent any number swapping. There will be between 10 & 15,000 people entered that won't start because of injury, illness, can't-be-arsedness or whatever. If she can't start her number would just be another on that list. I hope she treats it as a massive lap of honour and doesn't try too hard and blow up, but fear her racing instinct will take over.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That probably means that she'll trot round at an easy pace, wave for the cameras, sign a few autographs, stop for an in race interview with Claire Balding, and cross the line in around 2h40m.

Well called [MENTION=643]nwgull[/MENTION] [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So unfit, injured and undertained Paula struggles home in 2.36.55. Absolutely unbelievable performance.

Stunning run! Beat most of the British runners and didn't she beat some of the British elite runners?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here