Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere yesterday at Boro.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
You have to hand it to Boro, The Riverside was rocking yesterday. They really made some noise, real 12 th man stuff. It was nocticeable that the vast majority of their fans were in position and singing from 20-30 minutes before kick-off. Fair play to them. Could we generate an atmosphere like that at the Amex? The pre-match v Derby was pretty good but now we need to step it up for the play-offs. Flags, not clackers, help build a sense of occasion so I hope the club mass produce the flags again, like the Donnie match. Then it's up to us to roar the team on.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought that their drummer really helped coordinate things in the stand to our left. Why are people so anal about us doing something similar in the north stand?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
That was bloody loud. Louder than Derby away, all based around the drum but a few around me were saying how together, vociferous and united they were.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You have to hand it to Boro, The Riverside was rocking yesterday. They really made some noise, real 12 th man stuff. It was nocticeable that the vast majority of their fans were in position and singing from 20-30 minutes before kick-off. Fair play to them. Could we generate an atmosphere like that at the Amex? The pre-match v Derby was pretty good but now we need to step it up for the play-offs. Flags, not clackers, help build a sense of occasion so I hope the club mass produce the flags again, like the Donnie match. Then it's up to us to roar the team on.

Impressively even had small kids singing "Town full of rent boys." Real commitment to the cause to poison your kids at such a young age in the name of your football club.

But, yes, good sound although I could rarely understand a word they were signing. Needed a drummer, I also noted.

My particular highlight was their rendition of "The Sound of Silence" after we scored.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
watching at the beam back you could hear how loud they was and the albion fans you could hear too. one thing I did like what they did before a corner/set piece was clap slow with the drum and it seemed cool

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
To be fair their fans made a hell of a lot of noise, the whole stadium too not just one stand.
We could learn a lot from them, the drum was actually really good, not just the normal dull thud, but still got the crowd going, if we had a drum and drummer like that, I'd be well up for giving it a go.
Do you think we could have him on an emergency loan for the playoffs?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very Bundesliga style but yes it was impressive at times

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Impressively even had small kids singing "Town full of rent boys." Real commitment to the cause to poison your kids at such a young age in the name of your football club.

But, yes, good sound although I could rarely understand a word they were signing. Needed a drummer, I also noted.

My particular highlight was their rendition of "The Sound of Silence" after we scored.

I honestly felt the banter/chants/homophobia yesterday was no worse than most places on our travels. As gutted as I was at the end, no spotty 16 year old parmo muncher pointing a mobile at me videoing whilst he did the Gareth Hunt was going to rattle me any further.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Yes there were a couple of the predictable and pathetic rent boy chants of but overall Bozza they made a hell of a racket. And if a drummer means thousands sing in unison thereby creating a louder noise, then so be it. Let's get one in.
Any drummers in Brighton want a new role?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be fair their fans made a hell of a lot of noise, the whole stadium too not just one stand.
We could learn a lot from them, the drum was actually really good, not just the normal dull thud, but still got the crowd going, if we had a drum and drummer like that, I'd be well up for giving it a go.
Do you think we could have him on an emergency loan for the playoffs?

Reading around before the game, I think they've made a bit of an ultras thing in that far block behind the goal and that's the core of their support. Yesterday they had what is, for them, the unusual help of a full stadium and, particularly behind that goal, they gave it a good go.

Palace obviously do the same with their 20-30 hoodie-wearers in the lower corner of the Holmesdale and a group of Birmingham fans have recently started the same: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo.../birmingham-city-fans-earmarked-part-11223529

It's hard to see how the Amex could have something similar unless the club were prepared to essentially force people to move seats and leave a block(s) dedicated to the NSK or a similar group who wanted to do the same kind of thing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think that we should also say that we did pretty well too. Given how outnumbered we were I thought at times the noise made in the away end was the loudest I've heard for a long time.

And loved the baloons, streamers, ticker tape. More of the same at Sheffield.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I need an urgent hearing test. I was on the far right of the Albion fans level with the edge of the penalty box and never heard a drum.
I also couldn't make out the words of that 76? One they were singing but agree a real cauldron of noise.

Did anyone else notice the theft of 2 of the warm up balls which went into the crowd behind the goal borh placed under seats to take home. Everywhere else the ball gets thrown back but not at Boro. Even the ball boys pre game tired to keep one until told off by a supervisor and reluctanly kicked the ball back onto the pitch

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Reading around before the game, I think they've made a bit of an ultras thing in that far block behind the goal and that's the core of their support. Yesterday they had what is, for them, the unusual help of a full stadium and, particularly behind that goal, they gave it a good go.

Palace obviously do the same with their 20-30 hoodie-wearers in the lower corner of the Holmesdale and a group of Birmingham fans have recently started the same: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo.../birmingham-city-fans-earmarked-part-11223529

It's hard to see how the Amex could have something similar unless the club were prepared to essentially force people to move seats and leave a block(s) dedicated to the NSK or a similar group who wanted to do the same kind of thing.

Something needs to be done, even when the Amex is rocking, it was nothing compared to that yesterday.
Maybe the club does need to help the north stand create an atmosphere, what I don't know, but we need to do something.
Some of the old school need to stop poo pooing the idea of a drum, myself included ! Until yesterday I always assumed it was bit naff, but now I'd love to give it a go.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bring Mike Dean to the Amex...we tend to have a good atmosphere when there's controversial decisions :whistle:
...I haven't got over it yet

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did anyone else notice the theft of 2 of the warm up balls which went into the crowd behind the goal borh placed under seats to take home. Everywhere else the ball gets thrown back but not at Boro. Even the ball boys pre game tired to keep one until told off by a supervisor and reluctanly kicked the ball back onto the pitch

I didn't see that, but it's reminded me of another personal highlight.

During the first half a wayward shot went into the crowd behind the goal and was caught by a chap in the very front row. He decided this was his time and stood triumphantly holding the ball up in one hand and gestured to Stockdale that he would have to come and get it. As was the case whenever David Stockdale had to go anywhere near their fans, he would undoubtedly have been subjected to more vile abuse, all delivered in the name of support.

Unfortunately for the poor chap, his partner knocked the ball out of his hand and back onto the pitch. He was fuming.

The only negative is that I imagine he gave her one hell of a beating when they got home.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
ps) good work on the balloons Darren, I assume that was your son and daughter handing them out? The little fella was getting a lot of "how cute" attention.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here