Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - shirt pull - VAR review

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see what you're saying but the captain would just look a dick if it's obviously a goal.
Who cares if he looks a dick? On the last day in the cricket, we needed wickets or it was going to be a draw, so Root appealed every lbw decision. He knew he'd likely lose the review, but it was our only chance of a win, so he reviewed twice, lost his reviews, drew the game. No one's claiming he was a dick for doing it.

When you'll really look like a dick is when your team have gone 1 down, and it turns out you'd be level if you'd used your review.

But if it really is obvious there was no error, then sure, don't waste it. For our disallowed goal on Saturday (ball is played into a line of players who may or may not be offside), you'd always review.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Like Trossard's?

Who cares if he looks a dick? On the last day in the cricket, we needed wickets or it was going to be a draw, so Root appealed every lbw decision. He knew he'd likely lose the review, but it was our only chance of a win, so he reviewed twice, lost his reviews, drew the game. No one's claiming he was a dick for doing it.

When you'll really look like a dick is when your team have gone 1 down, and it turns out you'd be level if you'd used your review.

But if it really is obvious there was no error, then sure, don't waste it. For our disallowed goal on Saturday (ball is played into a line of players who may or may not be offside), you'd always review.

I just want it all to go away.

4787.forlorn.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hold fire - so have we established we're looking at the right challenge yet?

I think it's this one. One thing I would say is that - on further viewing - that GIF is a bit inconclusive, as you can't see what's happening to the front of his shirt. The way that his jump angle changes also suggests he is getting pulled. From where I was sitting it looked at the time like a very clear and strong pull off balance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it's this one. One thing I would say is that - on further viewing - that GIF is a bit inconclusive, as you can't see what's happening to the front of his shirt. The way that his jump angle changes also suggests he is getting pulled. From where I was sitting it looked at the time like a very clear and strong pull off balance.
I know you somewhat changed your mind since seeing the clip on here. But several people seem outraged, claiming VAR is the work of the devil, yet we've not seen any evidence here that VAR got it wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know you somewhat changed your mind since seeing the clip on here. But several people seem outraged, claiming VAR is the work of the devil, yet we've not seen any evidence here that VAR got it wrong.

I agree - having calmed down, I'm not certain VAR got it wrong.

I still have my concerns that it probably was a penalty and that refs may be reticent to give such borderline-ish calls, leaving them to VAR who also decide they don't want to step on ref's toes too much, leaving less of those sorts of decisions given. If that makes sense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still have my concerns that it probably was a penalty and that refs may be reticent to give such borderline-ish calls, leaving them to VAR who also decide they don't want to step on ref's toes too much, leaving less of those sorts of decisions given. If that makes sense.
It does, because it's what I said:
Perhaps the refs are letting things go, relying on VAR to call it if it was a foul. Meanwhile, the VAR officials are thinking 'that looks like a penalty, but the ref has seen it and thought it wasn't enough to warrant a penalty, and it's not a big enough error for us to overturn it'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup. Hopefully won't be the case, but you can see it happening.
It's a learning curve. I'm sure the refs will learn that it's their call to make, and know that if they've had a howler either way then VAR will help them out. Watching our game live I had the feeling we might have been denied a penalty, but I've not yet seen a replay to show that we were (I have been looking, so I'm not saying they're not out there).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here