Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Every goal is reviewed, even the obvious ones, they are reviewed in seconds as the players are celebrating but as there is nothing controversial, the ref gets a quick ok.
If there is controversy that is what takes the time as they look closely at it maybe 3 or 4 times.
But they get it right and that is what counts.
My piss is not boiling anywhere near as much tonight after the ruled out goal, because it was offside, as opposed to my piss boiling out of my Japs eye after we have had the most ridiculous decisions go against us by refs that were even given nicknames like shyster, refs we hated, refs we shit ourselves over because they had our next game and week after week of the most useless assistants and it was getting worse every season.
Match of the day was full of it and so was NSC.

This in spades, i think what we need to remember is that VAR has been bought in to solve the problem you describe.

Given the choice between VAR (hopefully improving) and refs struggling over and over to make the right decisions I'll think I'll take VAR.

I concede that this opinion may change once the A league season starts and I am going to games regularly.

Having said that we have had goal reviews in AFL for a good few seasons now and we shout and cheer when the goal is scored with the ocassional "what?? wait??, oh shit" moment. The process doesn't bother me, the big difference is that they play what the mysterious overlords are seeing on the big screen so we can feel involved.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Personally I hate the way it disrupts the game, the long delays while decisions are made and not being abke to celebrate a goal properly. I think that using technology to make real time decisions is fine if it prevents an obvious error, but take the view that if an incident needs to be checked several times to clarify what happended, it would be better to just trust the refs decision. Cancelling out goals for a tiny margin of offside invisible in real time is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

This could be where the compromise could be found. I think it is going to take time to work out how to use the technology effectively. To early to dismiss it for me, especially when it can still be made to work in a similar way to your description.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
What we actually need - because people who pay money to watch games live should be more important than people who don’t - is to ditch VAR in its current form.

BUT. If we are now being forced to watch a game live subject to VAR ( which is still sh*t by the way), here’s how to minimise the disruption.

We need something in the ground to bring the joy of a goal celebration back, to know whether a crunching tackle is, or is not, going to be a red card, or whether a potential foul or handball in the penalty area is going to be a penalty.

So let’s put the wannabe refs sitting in their little office in the middle of nowhere under a bit of pressure. They should be given 10 seconds to decide on goal or no goal, pen or no pen, red card or no red card. And those 10 seconds could be counted down on the big screen.

10 seconds is a hell of a long time when you count it out

At the end of 10 seconds the decision has to be made. And then we in the ground know what’s going on. And we’re not at a disadvantage to those sitting watching in their armchairs.

Or just get shot of VAR.......

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
- Offside should be able to be decided within seconds and the VAR should be able to stop the game via a remote whistle.
- More visual feedback in broadcasts and in the stadium

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It sounded like a great game on the radio, end to end. I was surprised it was last on MOTD.

It was. Last season’s drudgery means we seem to have gone from an uplifting story of success in year 1 to being the team nobody has got any interest in. The media are taking time to catch up, but in August the promoted clubs hog the limelight. Keep doing well and I reckon they’ll be all over Potter by mid-September.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
In its current form no. It just take too damn long. For the both the offside goal and the equaliser it was a full minute and a half where all the celebrating had been done, the players had lined back up ready to kick-off and the ref was still stood with his finger in his ear. The spontaneity of celebrating a goal is what makes football what it is. Take that away and the joy is gone.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Nobody knows what's going on.

Solution: Everyone has a phone. The wifi in the stadium is now brilliant (don't know if anyone has mentioned that). Get a VAR app built.

OR just **** it off.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
IIRC, a whole minute went past before the ref decided to take a look.

No it didn’t. The VAR looks at every goal immediately. It just took them a long time to reach a conclusion for some reason. The ref doesn’t ‘decide to take a look’ - he waits to hear the verdict if there’s a question mark over the goal.

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
Consistency, that's what fans and pundits have been asking for. Whatever the software/criteria/defintions, so long as each decision is measured the same way, then it works imho.

So it doesn’t matter if the decisions are right or wrong as long as they are consistent? For me that’s too much of a trade off for the enjoyment lost.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
100% yes.

Was the correct decision, just like VAR ruling out Murray's handball v Watford was the correct decision.

Correct decisions being made by referees is a positive thing. How many points has shambolic refereeing in the past cost us - so I'm glad that we are to see a massive improvement in the quality of refereeing because of VAR.

Some days it will suit us, others it won't. Will just will take a bit of getting used to.

I think it's more about the euphoric aspect of being a football fan, when should we now celebrate a goal? I can't abide VAR, you need the passionate debate about offside, handball etc after the game I don't want to live and enjoy sport in a clinical digital world!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
100% no. I really cannot believe there are 99 yes's at the time of posting.

With every single goal scored now, people will be half celebrating, half looking at the ref. How the fvck can that be good?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We'll end up with Dusty Bin being the ref and two daleks as linos.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well, that's why VAR is there; because he didn't 'flag it and have done' and he should have done. As I said, offside is very difficult; it require linos to have one eye on the kicker as he has to spot exactly when ball is kicked, and one on the line to see if anyone strayed offside even by a tiny amount. It is physically impossible, whereas technology can check with more precision.

When VAR checks offside it is basically same principle as goal line technology; I don't seem to recall bombastic uproar when Gross's goal against Man U was given despite ball being over line by just 25mm, people accepted that. And yes, of course GLT is quicker than VAR (although not instant, we could have had a false celebration then) but I actually do prefer to wait until goals are checked. Celebrate, hold breath, celebrate again. What's wrong with that? Rugby fans and cricket fans seem to be able to do that; football fans will have to learn to do so also; VAR aint going away because NSC feels hard done by on 17 August.

The idea that we put up with incorrect decisions because supporters have celebrated prematurely is perverse IMO. And remember that when North Stand next goes crazy and chants VAR, VAR, VAR because oppo have had a goal wiped out. It works both ways.
This

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think it's more about the euphoric aspect of being a football fan, when should we now celebrate a goal? I can't abide VAR, you need the passionate debate about offside, handball etc after the game I don't want to live and enjoy sport in a clinical digital world!

This! Two of the major aspects of football are that joyous moment of scoring and then the hours you can debate with your fellow fans. You take the rough with the sooth just like life!

So after only two weeks I think it's fair to say that most fans think that VAR as currently applied is rubbish. However, do we have any scope to actually scrap it and spend the rest of the season going back to the drawing board? Or is it naive of me to not realise that FIFA can just say tough titty and the premier league will have to put up with it regardless of how obviously the live viewing experience is so adversely effected?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This! Two of the major aspects of football are that joyous moment of scoring and then the hours you can debate with your fellow fans. You take the rough with the sooth just like life!

So after only two weeks I think it's fair to say that most fans think that VAR as currently applied is rubbish. However, do we have any scope to actually scrap it and spend the rest of the season going back to the drawing board? Or is it naive of me to not realise that FIFA can just say tough titty and the premier league will have to put up with it regardless of how obviously the live viewing experience is so adversely effected?

Perhaps the next move is we all live in a VAR world where everything we do is analysed from a studio in west London. If your fart smells you are off.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd support VAR if they arranged for every referee at every game in the country, including parks football, to have the benefit of it too. Otherwise you're cordoning off part of football and saying 'this is different.'

That reached its nadir last season when two FA Cup quarter-finals had access to VAR and two didn't.

In fact, since we're told that the elite referees are the ones in the Premier League, they should need it less than others.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'd support VAR if they arranged for every referee at every game in the country, including parks football, to have the benefit of it too. Otherwise you're cordoning off part of football and saying 'this is different.'

That reached its nadir last season when two FA Cup quarter-finals had access to VAR and two didn't.

In fact, since we're told that the elite referees are the ones in the Premier League, they should need it less than others.

Absolutely agree with this. How can laws be changed for the elite without affecting the leagues below. Football, should, in all forms have one law. If they can't they should not be introduced. It has become a two level game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolutely agree with this. How can laws be changed for the elite without affecting the leagues below. Football, should, in all forms have one law. If they can't they should not be introduced. It has become a two level game.

VAR isn't a law. Football still has the same laws of the game at all levels, just that extra technology is available at the highest level. Goal line technology isn't available in the EFL but I don't see anyone complaining about that

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
VAR isn't a law. Football still has the same laws of the game at all levels, just that extra technology is available at the highest level. Goal line technology isn't available in the EFL but I don't see anyone complaining about that

Ok, let me say it a little differently. People are now saying laws need to be changed for VAR, that affects all levels.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here