Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tory think tank says pension age should increase to 75

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All you need to know the idiot IDS is involved.
In 2009 this think tank thought up Universal Credit

And importantly Jan Shortt of the National Pensioners Convention said: “The longer you work, the more ill you become and the less likely you are to even reach retirement.”

Typical Tories looking to tax everyone more and ensure the state provides no support

It's not just that - it would be counter productive because it would deter people from saving for retirement if they thought they wouldn't have many ''active retirement years'' in which to enjoy their ''Retirement Fund'' - We would end up going back to the 60s and 70s when people retired and got 18 months before dyeing off.

There is nothing wrong with having early retired people who are ''Economically Inactive'', if they are living off their own means because they are contributing to the economy via the purchase of goods and services.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Why not, someone has to pay for the lazy layabout labour voters that retired after school. I mean it’s only fair some work till death and others can have a nice lay in.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I'm fine with that so long as they will give me back every penny I've paid in up to now, compounded by average annual growth rates so I can go and invest the money myself to produce an income.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A couple of things ...

When the state pension was brought in the life expectancy of the working man was 66 .... in reality those in manual work and those working in the pits or docks or other dangerous jobs really made 65. Of course those that worked in the city or banking etc dipped in.

Life expectancy for men dropped for the first time since records began. It’s now 79.2 for men, women are about 83. One school of thought is that with the epidemic of obesity and the health issues associated with this then the life expectancy age will fall further. 75 is a joke.

Final salary pension scheme are unaffordable, partly due life expectancy but mainly because that ******** Gordon brown tax the shit out of them in the 90’s. There days are (sadly) numbered.

IDS is an utter dick and all political think tanks regardless of flavour are disasters waiting to happen. As soon as you hear a politician proposing some solution from a think tank then you know it’s not going to be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
How else are all the environmental activists going to get their benefits?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I honestly thought for a moment that this was a thread about our chairman and Guy Butters with the little pixelated screen in front of me

"Tony thinks Tank says pension age should increase to 75" is much more interesting

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Conservative ideology. Squeeze as much work out of people, while at the same time minimising expenditure on them.

as i havent read it myself, is that what it says or infers? i think the source of this will blind people to the reality of what have to do. we recognise there is a significant problem and need to talk about how we could adress it without partisan view steering off course.

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The current pension set up needs reviewing and an understanding that it really isn't sustainable as life expectancy rises.

You need to find a group that skews young -- long earning period in front of them -- to pay into your national pension scheme.
But not children -- they're resource-intensive, they need schools and such.
And you add that group to your workforce.

Like, say, skilled immigrants.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Keep older people working until they are 75. So, fewer jobs for the youngsters who might want to do things like buy a home, start a family and start contributing to the economy.

Good thinking chaps.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Keep older people working until they are 75. So, fewer jobs for the youngsters who might want to do things like buy a home, start a family and start contributing to the economy.

Good thinking chaps.

thats an interesting conflict. theres experience vs innovation to consider too.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s all a complete busted flush. Increasing population, disrupted/digital industries and AI will require a complete rebalancing of work and non-work time. The huge emphasis will be on mental health and how to make people feel worthwhile when they only job share for 20 hours a week if they’re lucky.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thread title isn't actually true though is it !

That's what it says :shrug:

What part of That's what it says do you not understand? ???

Whether it happens or not is another story. If that's what you mean by true, fair enough. But that isn't what 'true' means. :shrug:

Apologies for my pedantry. Been engaging too much with [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]. :lolol:

Still.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That's what it says :shrug:

What part of That's what it says do you not understand? ???

Whether it happens or not is another story. If that's what you mean by true, fair enough. But that isn't what 'true' means. :shrug:

Apologies for my pedantry. Been engaging too much with [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]. [emoji38]ol:

Still.
The thread title has been changed since Westdene Seagull's post.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I grew up in the 60s and 70s. Back then we were beginning to realise that even though we knew our place (me, working class background) our place might change (if we passed the eleven plus, which I did). Fast forward to now. The world is your lobster, if you have some brains and balls.

If you don't, life may well be harsh. What's new?

If I were a youngster I'd rather be growing up now than when I grew up. Apart from anything else, people smell fresher. And are generally nicer. And it isn't legal now to discriminate against the likes of.....well, me.

Still, if I were young I would still be outraged, and all power to the young. Be outraged, and time's arrow will continue to fly in a direction. Possibly the right one. That's how it works.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The thread title has been changed since Westdene Seagull's post.

Thanks, Fruity. Unfortunately @pappa lazaru was borrowing my Tardis when I posted that :lolol:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
This is no surprise, I’m not a right winger but have seen this coming since I started work. My concern is that even in a professional environment I already see lower performance in those nearing retirement now, they know their stuff but don’t have the same va-va-vroom which is fair enough after 40years. How someone keeps doing hard manual labour (construction et al) into their 70s is beyond me. My company head office is in the states and when I visit I see lots of people in their 70s still working with no intention of retiring as they still want to work ( I had assumed it was because if healthcare).

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
I would imagine a majorly of people on this thread or forum, have a very healthy private pension fund or two.

Subsequently, the state pension will largely be pin money.

I would imagine that is the case for most people in their mid to late forties and early fifties in the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here